Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Supporter points
 |  Printable Version
Zephy
 Sunday, February 06 2011 @ 09:09 PM UTC (Read 6445 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Since we can't send SP points to each other directly anymore, can we alter the ban on gifting hunter-lodge stuff to Alts, or does CMJ have an admin-ish way to move SP??

*Asks the player who has all her SP on one account, and can't move over the Cigs she just bought for her alt*

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah I honestly don't understand why we can't gift things to alts. Who cares? Someone had to spend the money to get that item at all; does it matter if it was the alt or the main? It still goes to CMJ's pocket/server costs/evil plans regardless.

Though I get the concerns behind not being able to send eBoy's things to alts.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 12:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been thinking about this. (That's right, I've been thinking again. Be afraid.) Mostly in connection with CMJ's comments in the thread where we discussed 'Cheer or Jeer' wherein he said that there have been fewer and fewer rookies staying on to become regular players.

The reason that gifting of SP isn't allowed is because some people were creating alts purely for the sake of rating monsters for SP then transferring them to a main character. This would cause an apparent drop of rookies staying on, once the monsters have been rated and the SP transfered, then the alt will be forgotten until it times out however many months later that it take. Also, I don't know exactly how it works now, but is it possible to do something similar, except buy whatever it is that you want in the lodge and then transfer that over to the main character instead?

How about doing something along the lines of no gifting at all, until the gifter has at least four DKs under their belt, or something like that?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 12:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

How about doing something along the lines of no gifting at all, until the gifter has at least four DKs under their belt, or something like that?

Or, since alts are detectable (apparently), just don't let alts get the 1000 bonus SP, ever.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know if the rating-for-1000-SP thing is in effect anymore, actually. There were reports in L4 that people weren't getting the bonus.

Anyways, has there ever really been a ban on gifting Lodge items to your alt? I think that the official line is just "don't cheat and don't be a dick", and I don't /really/ think that Lodge items counts as cheating. Either way, it's paid for with real cash. Even if you send your alt twenty eBoy's selection boxes and the alt sells all their contents for a million req, it still isn't cheating since... you paid for it. Unless we get an official post saying "THIS IS FROWNED UPON. D:<", I'd think that this would be okay.

As for gifting, I think the most important (and most legitimate) use of the gifting module is to help out very new players. If you happen across a Rookie you find friendly, you can send them an item that they can sell for req so they don't have to continue prancing around in frilly pink underwear. Setting a DK minimum on gifting would negate this function.

Profile Email
Zephy
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 04:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Iriana

Anyways, has there ever really been a ban on gifting Lodge items to your alt?

Well, I tried it and the search told me that "there wasn't anyone by that name that I can send gifts to".

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 04:53 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zephy

Quote by: Iriana

Anyways, has there ever really been a ban on gifting Lodge items to your alt?

Well, I tried it and the search told me that "there wasn't anyone by that name that I can send gifts to".

Yes, and I've heard from a friend of mine who has had that problem when he was trying to send things to his alt.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 05:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Or, since alts are detectable (apparently), just don't let alts get the 1000 bonus SP, ever.

Alts are indeed detectable in normal situations, but the system isn't foolproof.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or the Rating System doesn't kick in until a 5 DK's or so. That would be a lot more trouble for someone who wanted to game the system.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, February 07 2011 @ 10:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No rating till 5 DKs is a great suggestion. This gradually opens up more of the game, and gets a fairer rating. Some monsters get better with time.

Though I'm with Iriana, I don't think the 1000 supporter points from rating doesn't apply anymore. The files on the test server have the supporter points section removed, but it may be different on the live server. 's fair really. Monster ratings+cobblestone cottage would give us basically 15 bucks for playing his game. I can see why it got removed, and totally agree.

More to the problem at hand, can't you send the cigs to your alt, or to anyone at all?

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 03:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While you can't trade points between accounts, there's always the option of donating through that user. Or use the process listed below.

On a similar note, could we please get a better system for gifting SP donations? As it stands, as a player, if I want to donate to someone, I have to:
1. Get the URL for donation from the Hunter's Lodge page
2. Go into the person's profile and copy their user ID.
3. Open up a different browser to get around BadNav issues.
4. Paste the URL into the other browser, and replace my ID with theirs.

If I want to donate to more than one person, then I have to do all of the above, as well as closing the second browser down and waiting 15 minutes or so for the server to forget the user session, or it'll redirect to the last user I tried to donate for. Donating to others while logged in shouldn't be this much of a hassle.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

While you can't trade points between accounts, there's always the option of donating through that user. Or use the process listed below.

On a similar note, could we please get a better system for gifting SP donations? As it stands, as a player, if I want to donate to someone, I have to:

If I want to donate to more than one person, then I have to do all of the above, as well as closing the second browser down and waiting 15 minutes or so for the server to forget the user session, or it'll redirect to the last user I tried to donate for. Donating to others while logged in shouldn't be this much of a hassle.

Since you're chatting with them, isn't is easier to ask them for the birthday URL from their Hunter's Lodge? Then log out/use a secondary browser.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Since you're chatting with them, isn't is easier to ask them for the birthday URL from their Hunter's Lodge? Then log out/use a secondary browser.

Actually, most of the time, I haven't been. The first time was Christmas gifts, the second time was a request on AIM. Still, getting the URL is the easy part. But it seems like an option in the profile would be the best way to do it, personally, if no gifting system is implemented.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or you could clean your cookies. You can clean them all at once ina ny browser, and in Chrome and Firefox you can get add-ons to alter them yourself, so you can delete the cookies belonging to Improbable Island.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Zephy
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Paypal hates all formats of my current mailing address. When I need to paypal something, I hand my computer-savvy friend the cash, and point him to whatever URL. I also rarely knew ahead of time what I wanted to buy and as whom for II, so I'd start it on my main, and then move it as necessary.

It wasn't until I tried to move the SP for cigs that I realized that SP don't move anymore, leaving all my unspent SP (including WCG) on the one account.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, February 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Or you could clean your cookies. You can clean them all at once ina ny browser, and in Chrome and Firefox you can get add-ons to alter them yourself, so you can delete the cookies belonging to Improbable Island.

I tried that with no luck. Thus why I was assuming it had something to do with the BadNav system that forces you back to the last page you viewed. Plus, why would there be a cookie for a static page?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, February 15 2011 @ 01:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Or you could clean your cookies. You can clean them all at once in any browser, and in Chrome and Firefox you can get add-ons to alter them yourself, so you can delete the cookies belonging to Improbable Island.

I tried that with no luck. Thus why I was assuming it had something to do with the BadNav system that forces you back to the last page you viewed. Plus, why would there be a cookie for a static page?

In Firefox, at least, if you choose "clear recent history" from Tools (CTRL+SHIFT+DEL) one of the options is "Active Logins". If you clear active logins in your recent browsing history, it'll drop your login sessions on all sites you're currently logged into (including II)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, February 15 2011 @ 01:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I mean server session. Here:
This is for Beeps.
This is for Arodang.
Clearing everything does not allow me to change between the two.
I think you're confusing this with being logged into the game - Something else you can't do, because of badnav issues.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, February 15 2011 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm adding my voice to those who'd like to see a more intuitive way for a logged-in player to make donations in another character's name. Giving money to the Island should be easy.

What Beeps describes does work, but a. it is not something players who are not used to looking at URLs are likely to figure out, and b. even if you do understand what's going on, it's still way too complicated.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, February 15 2011 @ 03:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Giving money to the Island should be easy.

Yes, yes it should.Unless you're going the loan company route.
Oh right, this was the reason I'd asked for a commit a while back. But I couldn't find the "giftpoints" module, even after the commit. I did my best based on the code that I could snag from the page. It's ugly, rough, and the image could be done better. But I think it works. Hard for me to test.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply