Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 The new(?) FAQ
 |  Printable Version
Matthew
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 10:02 PM UTC (Read 6827 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like it! I like how it explains how to emote and such. To learn that, you used to need that explained by other players.

Two things, though:
1. The color in the example doesn't show. That's a bit confusing.
2. Why have a "Rules" page and then a "Rules in Detail" page? That's a bit pointless. I'd put the latter below the former, on the same page.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

I like it! I like how it explains how to emote and such. To learn that, you used to need that explained by other players.

Two things, though:
1. The color in the example doesn't show. That's a bit confusing.
2. Why have a "Rules" page and then a "Rules in Detail" page? That's a bit pointless. I'd put the latter below the former, on the same page.

The colour shows - it's just using the `# code, which is allocated to your chosen character-voice colour.

The rules in detail page is so that the first page doesn't end up a million-mile-long wall of text. Razz

Profile Email Website
Caleb
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 10:14 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I think the `# colour is changed if you have the /talkcol setting changed; mine's set to `6 and that's what the example shows as.

Also, I clicked on the 'Click here to start chatting' thingy, and upon leaving it sent me to IC from a dwelling one square south of AH. Might just be me?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooh, whoops. Yeah, mine's set to `&, because `~ doesn't stand out enough. My bad.

Quote by: Caleb

Also, I clicked on the 'Click here to start chatting' thingy, and upon leaving it sent me to IC from a dwelling one square south of AH. Might just be me?

It sent me to IC, too. I hope that's just 'last outpost visited' and not always IC, because being sent to IC after reading the rules, as a newcomer, would be also very confusing!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yeah, it just sends you back to village.php, since that's where you would have been after looking at it for the first time. Smile

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 11:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Getting sent to AceHigh from a dwelling that it took somewhere near 8% stam to get to was a bit of a minor annoyance, but I like the idea behind an Effayque. Effay queue. However.

Also, the (I suppose self-written) mod descriptions where quite enlightening. All this time I'd thought Z was a raven, not a crow!

EDIT: Additional strangeness, it brought me to AceHigh (Or so the Home of the Jokers atop the page led me to believe), I clicked on bank, and walked out of the bank in IC afterward it seems? Highly improbable.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
hajen
 Thursday, February 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

mainly to just add another data point.
i ran into the little notice while going through bios on the failboat and it sent me back to the failboat when i was finished.
i was a little surprised when i first saw it, my thought was "I thought Dan got rid of the chinwagging? Oh well, I wonder what it does."

i appreciated seeing and receiving the same gentle reminder of what the 'rules' were, especially in the format seen now i.e. my first sign-in is lost in the dimness of time and i was totally ignorant of the 'no children rule', not that i have to worry about being underage.

i agree, seeing the mod write ups was nice, though i think Eben is getting shafted just cause he's the new guy. did you see how many column inches the more established mods had? Wink he needs to complain about that Laughing Out Loud

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 12:29 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: hajen

i agree, seeing the mod write ups was nice, though i think Eben is getting shafted just cause he's the new guy. did you see how many column inches the more established mods had? Wink he needs to complain about that Laughing Out Loud

If he wants more words, all he has to do is write them. Those are self-descriptions -- can't you tell? What I wanted him to say was, "Ebenezer is brave, kind, generous, and really likes people. He tries hard to hide this, but he isn't fooling anybody."

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do have some problems with these new rules, particularly Rule 4, No kids.

I'm fine with the No part of the rule, but it's the kids part that grates me. Only yuppies and hipsters call their offspring kids, and only if said kids are under the age of 10.

The people that this rule applies to certainly wouldn't describe themselves as 'kids'. Children, adolescents, people under the age of 18, juveniles. These descriptions apply better, as anyone in the 11 -18 age bracket wouldn't describe themselves as kids anymore.

I also haven't seen much canon references that there are no kids on the island. There's a kindergartener monster, but that's canon in the opposite. Try as I may, I can't remember the Watcher, corporal Punishment or Mister Stern ever mentioning kids, or a lack thereof.

Also, what's the word on Island created babies? I've seen a few pregnancies and small children running around and I wonder about that. (How someone survives a pregnancy on improbable island with radiation, improbability and monsters that kill you is miraculous enough, but to love such an undoubtedly mutant child? It puzzles me.)

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 01:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

I do have some problems with these new rules, particularly Rule 4, No kids.

I'm fine with the No part of the rule, but it's the kids part that grates me. Only yuppies and hipsters call their offspring kids, and only if said kids are under the age of 10.

The people that this rule applies to certainly wouldn't describe themselves as 'kids'. Children, adolescents, people under the age of 18, juveniles. These descriptions apply better, as anyone in the 11 -18 age bracket wouldn't describe themselves as kids anymore.

I also haven't seen much canon references that there are no kids on the island. There's a kindergartener monster, but that's canon in the opposite. Try as I may, I can't remember the Watcher, corporal Punishment or Mister Stern ever mentioning kids, or a lack thereof.

Also, what's the word on Island created babies? I've seen a few pregnancies and small children running around and I wonder about that. (How someone survives a pregnancy on improbable island with radiation, improbability and monsters that kill you is miraculous enough, but to love such an undoubtedly mutant child? It puzzles me.)

The only canon reference to no kids I can think of is the robot mini-plot. He makes a reference to "You don't see kids running around the island" or something to that effect, I can't remember it exactly.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alright, Rohit. But.. how about the Small Child monster? The evil Orc has a child. Budget Horse has grandchildren. Elias is usually surrounded by kids. That's more canon in the opposite.

I think the Budget Horse saga references child protection services, but I can't remember it exactly either.

Unless, of course, kid references to a young goat, in which case this whole post is moot.

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 01:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Perhaps no minors or underage would be better, yes... and, yes, the mod descriptions were fun. Poor CMJ got 0 column inches, though!

Anyway, I love the new FAQ. So handy. So much easier than clicking on a link, getting confused, and then having strangers say "oh, actually, that's out of date, here are a shedload of links, read these instead!".

One thing, though. Could we have a link to it on the FailBoat, as well as in towns, please? Or might that give you a free restore by returning you to village.php?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 05:23 AM UTC  

I think it's a very good FAQ! It addresses the pants, it addresses the meaning behind the rules, it gives tips. I was a little iffy about the inclusion of cards in there, since I almost never find cards out in the wild, and I don't know how many rookies come across the wallet salesman or what have you before they've figured out enough about the island to question others, or have obtained the ciggies necessary to buy the wallet. But this is a small point.

Also, 'cause I can't resist replying to Maniak on a couple points:

(shortened) Quote by: Maniak

Only yuppies and hipsters call their offspring kids, and only if said kids are under the age of 10.

--Almost everyone I know, mostly very unhipster people, call their offspring kids. In fact, I very rarely hear anyone besides my grandma calling them "children", and nobody calling them "youngins" and nobody emotionally involved with the youth in question calling them "youth".

--True dat. Someone cited Rohit, but I took his comment to be directed at people who play children on island, as the setting is supposed to be a warzone, and the game is supposed to be adults-only. Although you're right, there are a lot of game references to children running around, which seems kind of odd. (Esc treats these island-canon kids as a jungle phenomenon or a game, like spending the afternoon playing with all those unattended kindergartners.)

--From what I've observed, the idea of contestants having babies seems to be a frowned-upon plotline, because of all the logical and ethical problems with having kids on a crazy, improbable, monster-and-radiation-filled island of doom, death, and insane people. But I'm not sure if there's any official rule for or against it. (And I've also seen zombie couples claiming to have conceived. No joke. Think the island needs mass contraceptive treatments?)

Ebenezer
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 05:35 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: hajen

If he wants more words, all he has to do is write them. Those are self-descriptions -- can't you tell? What I wanted him to say was, "Ebenezer is brave, kind, generous, and really likes people. He tries hard to hide this, but he isn't fooling anybody."

Yes, I shafted myself! -- Should I still complain about it?

And SESSINE! SHH! Keep it down, would you? I've got an image to maintain!

Profile Email
Marly
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 06:16 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Unless, of course, kid references to a young goat, in which case this whole post is moot.

I am not the subject of rule four!

I do note, however, that it is more concerned about whether or not you lied about your age, and whether or not you are writing about a child in an adult situation with unquestionable legal consequences to that, rather than if you're trying to increase the population via reproduction rather than advertisement and word of mouth.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Out-of-context quote by: Escemfer
--Almost everyone I know, mostly very unhipster people, call their offspring kids. In fact, I very rarely hear anyone besides my grandma calling them "children", and nobody calling them "youngins" and nobody emotionally involved with the youth in question calling them "youth".

Really? In my part of the world no child above a certain age would like to be called a kid. I'm not kidding, they either wouldn't feel addressed or give you a dirty look because 'kids are young children, and I'm 13 so I'm not a kid'.

Profile Email Website
SicPuess
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think the wording's fine as it is, as short as it is. ("minor" works, but doesn't have that casual ring to it)

After all... if some seventeen-year old player reads that, giving the screen dirty looks because he's not a young child anymore, it still doesn't make him eighteen.

Profile Email
Marly
 Friday, February 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Out-of-context quote by: Escemfer

Really? In my part of the world no child above a certain age would like to be called a kid. I'm not kidding, they either wouldn't feel addressed or give you a dirty look because 'kids are young children, and I'm 13 so I'm not a kid'.

Well... Since the whole rule is there to keep people of a certain age range out... Shouldn't this not matter? If you're under 18 and being called a kid irritates you, you're not supposed to be here anyways. If you're 18 or over, you're not being called a kid.

Yes, the wording could be more reader-sensitive, but then that detracts from our snazzy, easy-to-remember rule list. You know, don't be a dick, don't take it seriously, no alts, no kids...

Actually sounds a bit like I've just been told the rules to an underground boxing match.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, February 12 2011 @ 12:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While I'm entirely used to everybody I know using the word 'kids' for people well into their twenties, I'm entirely unused to people using the word 'hipster'. I thought that that word (along with the concept) evolved into 'hippie' in the sixties. Just goes to show variations in language hey?

Back on subject. Excellent FAQ. And we have a new mod as well. Good choice. Congratulations Ebenezer.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, February 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"mod?" Wasn't that the opposite of "hippie?"

Showing his age, Ashtu stomps off, banging his cane.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply