Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Goodbye, Improbable Island.
 |  Printable Version
MedicProps
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 05:00 AM UTC (Read 3788 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hey guys and gals, Medic Props here. For IRL reasons, and through no fault of anyone but my own, I'm quitting Improbable Island. Probably forever, if I'm being honest. I've been on the island for one year IRL, six years in game, and I'm not going to be back. As for this forum, well, that might be a different story. We'll see.

Improbable Island is great. The game is well programmed and well run by CMJ and the rest of our badass Moderators. You guys work so hard and rock hardcore, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that a donation or two from me won't still come in from time to time. I believe in supporting things that are good. Not only is this one of the best damn role playing communities I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying and participating in, but this place is helping to bring clean water to people who don't have that luxury, and cure cancer. If only more games did this. So my contributions to the Improbable Island Distributed Supercomputer will continue on. I encourage anyone who hasn't signed up and started BOINC running on your computer to do so. We're making a difference. You can too.

Special thank you to Ebenezer and Sessine, as the two mods that I've interacted with most directly. You guys fielded my nutty questions and helped me out and even calculated the year of the Improbability War and the current date of the island with me. You both are so very awesome.

Another shout out, to TYPES. My clan. Keep it together, help Silcatra out, and someday some of you guys will be old vets joking with each other about the nutty medic guy that built the Clinic as you wear silver badges of Leaders and brass badges of Officers. I'm counting on you guys.

As for the community. Well damn, what can I say? There's so many people to mention, and I'm afraid to start dropping names for fear of forgetting someone. So many people from so many clans. To drop a few, TYPES, obviously. ICEE and DICE. And GERM, and QQQ. The WATCH. AIB, SWEET, Hope, srs. God, all of you people. You made this island an awesome place to spend time and write stories and meet people. All the silly, inventive, creative characters. All the serious, poignant, real ones. We had a time and a half, didn't we? You keep writing, and keep playing, and you all keep having fun. And don't worry. Because Props isn't gone, he's just marching far away.

And, for those of you who know me better than others, this isn't goodbye. Oh no. You're not getting rid of me that easy. I'll be in touch.

Stay classy.

- Jason, Writer of Props

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It seems that it's quite often for IRL reasons that our most beloved members retire.

I can give you the readout of exactly how many CPU seconds your account spent rendering pages. This isn't a measure of the time you've played, or even the time spent transmitting the pages to you - it goes deeper than that. If you've ever played a Final Fantasy game that told you you'd been playing for eighty-odd hours, think of that - only instead of recording the time the console's been turned on, it records the time you spent opening and closing the disc tray to play the game.

If you're leaving because you've just been Playing The Island Too Damned Much, then it might help you to stave off temptation. Normally I only tell people who ask, because it's sometimes quite a shocking number. I offer because it's come to my attention lately that I may have made something that's a little too addictive, and I feel like I have a responsibility to the players I've hooked a little too deeply - even if that final responsibility is helping them to kick the habit.

E-mail me or post back here if you want it. (if you post, I'll assume you want it posted here, and if you E-mail, then I'll assume you want it E-mailed)

We'll miss you.

-CMJ

Profile Email Website
MedicProps
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 09:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Ahaha, actually, the issue isn't Too Damned Much, but a different issue, still serious enough to warrant me quitting for good.

I'm not ashamed to say that I play your game a lot. Too Damned Much is probably right, honestly, but at the same time, not the reason I'm leaving the game. So, I wouldn't mind seeing the CPU seconds I spent rendering pages, posted here. I'll just think of it as my high score. A little tally mark that says "Jesus Christ you have Too Much Time on your Hands".

Profile Email
Kelwine
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 11:30 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Take care, Props. It's been nice knowing you, albeit how little I did. I'm terrible at goodbyes, so yeah. Goodbye, and good luck in wherever life takes you!

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 01:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Goodbye Props!

I'm not gonna lie, I found out last night you deleted him and was very sad.

Then I had a dream that you came back, no really. < sigh >

We never much interacted, but I can tell losing you will be a serious loss to the island.

RIP Character props, and good luck Jason. Hope we still see you around the forum.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Makiwa
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We met oh so briefly and that just recently although I have seen your writings around the island.

Not really much to say except I wish you well in your RL endeavours.

All the best.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't recall having a chance to interact with you, but, yeah, what they all said - be good, and we'll welcome you back with open arms.

Thank you.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 05:18 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Whoops, didn't notice you'd deleted. Can't get the CPU time, sorry. Razz

Profile Email Website
Kuroiten
 Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

But...but...but...!

The cards! THE CARDS!

In all seriousness though, good luck in your future endeavors, and hopefully we'll see Props (or some other contestant with strange similarities) gallivanting about the Island in the future.

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
Silcatra
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

You will very much be missed. Frown

Profile Email
Chef Micha
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 08:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Keep in touch! We'll certainly miss you so much around the Island.

All the best with IRL, too.

Profile Email Website
Darcy
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 05:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You were one of the first I RPed with on my old character, Props! So I'm sad to see you go. I'm sorry that you quit on unfortunate things and I wish you the best!

Profile Email
Piper
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 03:55 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Always sad to see an active player go.

G'bye and good luck!

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Saturday, March 05 2011 @ 10:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry to be late to the ballgame on this, but better late than never.

Props, you were an interesting guy and a...lack for better term, spunky person as a friend. I always admired that quite a bit, too. Usually seemed to be in good spirits, even if someone or myself was having a bad day.
You were great to talk to on and off of the island, even if we didn't talk 24/7.

I hope to still be able to stay in contact with you elsewhere. Smile

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply