Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Rookie Quest
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM UTC (Read 4619 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, I had this idea.
There are a lot of little facets to this game, and a number of them are not very obvious. We have a few mini-quests to try to help people - The Museum quest, the Jill quest. But both of these sort of rely on the player not sucking, which can be hard to do when you're new.
What if we had a quest that was designed for rookies, that went through the basics of a number of gameplay aspects? NewHome as a starting area is really no different from any other village, difficulty wise. There's nothing to help players get accustomed to the gameplay, like what you'd see on a standard game.
So, my thought was to make a quest line that extended from shortly after a player arrives to, say, level 10-15 or so - Maybe lead it right up to the first DK, so that they get one playthrough helping them explain a few things. Have different events at different levels with simple tasks - Buy food, heal at the hospital tent, use a chronosphere, travel to Improbable Central, that sort of thing.
What're peoples' feelings on this? I'm thinking it could be a sort of group community project - I'm more than willing to do the module coding for it, if this would be something that would actually be supported.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Arodang
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm Arodang, and I support this thread.
When this was brought up in Banter, myself and a few others offered to help write should it be necessary. I'm still ready to offer that support.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'd be delighted to lend my dev weight and writing / copyediting ability in getting crowd-sourced quests like this into the game. I'm a really strong believer in more shit to do for the single-player version of the game, and CMJ has already greenlighted me on moar quest content coming into the game. (I've just been slow about getting it actually written up. Physical notebook to electric notebook is sometimes a jump.) This is a somewhat different thing, but Content is Content.

If you don't want to take point on organizing people, Beeps, I can step in to fill that capacity too -- but I'd rather it was you or another player leading the charge. I would suggest setting a soft limit on contributors for this particular quest, definitely somewhere under 10 so that you guys have a better chance of collaborating and coordinating in a relative real-time environment. Too many voices will make it hard to settle on certain details.

If there are other people itchy to come up with quest ideas, I'm sure there could be concurrent projects with a similar theme. Beyond a Newbie Tutorial Quest, which is what this shapes up to be, it'd be ace if there were other quests that supported exploration and utilization of existing in-game features for new and established players.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My first thought: It's redundant.

Improbable Island has a steep learning/difficulty curve, so I can understand why you think there needs to be a 10 level long tutorial. It's a difficult game for newcomers, there's no doubt about it. While I agree on the general idea that rookies deserve a break after making it through the sign up progress, I don't think holding their hands is the way forwards. I like to think Improbable Island players are a bit better than that.

The new Jill quest does a lot of good for new players, it gives you a few tips without being in your face about it. This is a big relief from the usual tutorials. The Mr Stern quest is a choice to do and needs to be *found*. I don't consider it a rookie quest per se. Both will also tell you a lot about the Island without actually finishing them, so you don't need to be good.

As for telling people how the hospital tent works or how chronospheres work.. Isn't it pretty obvious? The hospital tent does exactly what it says on the tin. Chronospheres get a decent explanation. There aren't that many links to click if you're on the failboat, so there's a good chance you'll find them.

I do agree on the food subject though. It's pretty difficult for rookies to figure out you should just eat steaks. It still is one of the most asked questions in Location four. (that, and "How do I become kittymorph?!)

I also think throwing yet more text at rookies is a bit counterproductive. First the sign up process, then basic training, then finding out what's what in town.. It's a lot to take in at once. Perhaps it's better to block a few things for their first drive kill or first few levels. As a level 1 rookie, you don't need to smoke, reinforce the defenses or use the comms tent, clan halls. Reward players by giving them more to explore as they slowly adapt to the island. We experienced players know what places to visit, new players don't have the ability to say "this is good to visit, this isn't."

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

I'd be delighted to lend my dev weight and writing / copyediting ability in getting crowd-sourced quests like this into the game. I'm a really strong believer in more shit to do for the single-player version of the game, and CMJ has already greenlighted me on moar quest content coming into the game. (I've just been slow about getting it actually written up. Physical notebook to electric notebook is sometimes a jump.) This is a somewhat different thing, but Content is Content.

If you don't want to take point on organizing people, Beeps, I can step in to fill that capacity too -- but I'd rather it was you or another player leading the charge. I would suggest setting a soft limit on contributors for this particular quest, definitely somewhere under 10 so that you guys have a better chance of collaborating and coordinating in a relative real-time environment. Too many voices will make it hard to settle on certain details.

If there are other people itchy to come up with quest ideas, I'm sure there could be concurrent projects with a similar theme. Beyond a Newbie Tutorial Quest, which is what this shapes up to be, it'd be ace if there were other quests that supported exploration and utilization of existing in-game features for new and established players.

I'm fully willing to head this. I mentioned in Banter that the main reasons I'm not trying to do this on my own is
1) It'd be a lot of text to write up, and "lots of text" is notorious for slowing my projects down (The Labyrinth hasn't moved in three months now?)
2) I need people to provide a semi-rigid idea of what's needed, or you'll turn around and I'll have planned a 4-DK epic that involves trying to escape the island, getting hunted down by the Watcher, and some very unpleasant recipes learned in Squat Hole.

So I need comments from people on what they felt wasn't immediately obvious, or things that they didn't learn about late into the game, and goals/concepts that could use guidance.

And yes, more content in general would be awesome. I can definitely see a lot of opportunity with the Memento system, assuming that we can "gift" mementos to people through code so they can find quest items or whatnot.

Quote by: Maniak

My first thought: It's redundant.

Improbable Island has a steep learning/difficulty curve, so I can understand why you think there needs to be a 10 level long tutorial. It's a difficult game for newcomers, there's no doubt about it. While I agree on the general idea that rookies deserve a break after making it through the sign up progress, I don't think holding their hands is the way forwards. I like to think Improbable Island players are a bit better than that.

The new Jill quest does a lot of good for new players, it gives you a few tips without being in your face about it. This is a big relief from the usual tutorials. The Mr Stern quest is a choice to do and needs to be *found*. I don't consider it a rookie quest per se. Both will also tell you a lot about the Island without actually finishing them, so you don't need to be good.

As for telling people how the hospital tent works or how chronospheres work.. Isn't it pretty obvious? The hospital tent does exactly what it says on the tin. Chronospheres get a decent explanation. There aren't that many links to click if you're on the failboat, so there's a good chance you'll find them.

I do agree on the food subject though. It's pretty difficult for rookies to figure out you should just eat steaks. It still is one of the most asked questions in Location four. (that, and "How do I become kittymorph?!)

I also think throwing yet more text at rookies is a bit counterproductive. First the sign up process, then basic training, then finding out what's what in town.. It's a lot to take in at once. Perhaps it's better to block a few things for their first drive kill or first few levels. As a level 1 rookie, you don't need to smoke, reinforce the defenses or use the comms tent, clan halls. Reward players by giving them more to explore as they slowly adapt to the island. We experienced players know what places to visit, new players don't have the ability to say "this is good to visit, this isn't."

I'll clarify a bit here - I'm not expecting to make a tutorial that goes through every page, explains what req is, how to buy food, how it affects hunger, nutrition, where to buy better food, so on, so forth. I'm thinking gentle nudges in the right direction - As a person who didn't really roleplay during my first DK, I was a little disappointed with -how little- there seemed to be to do, and didn't find out that there was more until I started poking around.
I don't want this to be like those god-awful step-by-step "PRESS A TO JUMP" tutorials. I'd prefer that it be something that is more general, and not entirely required to do, so a player who isn't interested can discover things on their own. I'm basically thinking it would have an interaction level somewhere between Jill's story and a Dan quest. An example:
You leave NewHome, and someone asks you to pick up something in Improbable Central, which is a few clicks north from here. If you go there, then you automatically pick up the item. If/when you go back to NewHome, you turn in the item and gain some experience and req. All of the events would be somewhat spread out - Maybe one "task" for every few levels (every three levels gives you what, six tasks to give if you give them a task at 1?), so they're not being led around on a rope.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Kallio
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sounds like a great idea to me. The island needs more quests, and this seems like a good place to start.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If they're individual and triggered 'Something Improbable!' events it's better. I'm a sucker for more content, like anyone else is. Even another fetch quest would be fine, so people can appreciate Maiko's pan quest a bit more.

Also, I realize the large absolute majority of the Islands population are rookies, but why are quests focused on newer players? I've mentioned it before, but there is a lot of content up to 5 DKs. After that it kind of goes quiet. Let's have some love for the loyal players.

[Maniak is still waiting for more multi-DK spanning Watcher quest-story lines.]

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Friday, March 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do agree that more content for higher levels would be nice. There's always the option of having... I dunno, a quest system module, maybe? Though that could be a bit more complicated.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, March 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

I do agree that more content for higher levels would be nice. There's always the option of having... I dunno, a quest system module, maybe? Though that could be a bit more complicated.

No beeps, no! Don't go there! Next thing you know you'll end up with an abandoned labyrinth. Or a pocket knife with a USB-stick. Or this.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, March 12 2011 @ 02:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here is a relevant thread. It refers to somewhere else that I can't find.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 12 2011 @ 02:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Here is a relevant thread. It refers to somewhere else that I can't find.

Did you mean: There

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 06:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Relevant Post
Another relevant thread

Those are my thoughts laid out for a quest system - reusable, renewable, recyclable, reducible (wait...wrong context here)

If it could be coded in, it could lead to much more user-generated content, especially with groups working together to make, say, clan quests even.
Too tired to put a full post in here.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

Relevant Post
Another relevant thread

Those are my thoughts laid out for a quest system - reusable, renewable, recyclable, reducible (wait...wrong context here)

If it could be coded in, it could lead to much more user-generated content, especially with groups working together to make, say, clan quests even.
Too tired to put a full post in here.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Hidden under the title "Way to back out of selecting your rank right away." No wonder I couldn't find it. Anyone at all interested in quests, have a read of what Teh Dave has to say there. It's eleven different shades of awesome.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.14 seconds
New Topic Post Reply