Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Small rally?
 |  Printable Version
Felix V
 Friday, April 08 2011 @ 04:48 PM UTC (Read 1951 times)  
Forum Newbie

Hi Folks,

Everytime I am in CC I am tempted to try the rally thing. But a hundred points is so staggering that I don't even try. I mean, I get that it should be a challenge, but this compared to the fact that I have to be at my computer at a certain time is just a little too much for me. Even though I like the idea a lot.

Would it be possible/desirable to have a smaller, shorter rally? Say like 20 points, to be hit within a certain amount of minutes, starting each whole hour?
This way you could even compete against 'the house'. It could cost one cig to join, you could get 3 cigs if you arrive first, none if you are later. If you arrive outside of the -say, 10 minutes- you also get nothing, even if you are the only player competing.

This way, newer or more hasty players can experience the rally too!

What do you think?

Profile Email
Mongo
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

A Mini-Rally may be a great idea. In fact, it probably is.
However, it should not affect the 100 point Rally in any way. This rally has an excellent investment/reward ratio.
I realize it does not appeal to everyone, so a smaller version may be a good thing.
I have run the rally several times and it feels good to cut 2-3 minutes off the time of the last run.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 12:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, what's a rally?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's a feature that was added in November of last year. It's a competition that gives 50 map coords that you have to hit in order and 50 that are unordered; you race other to be the first to get all 100. Cig entry fee, cig reward. Coordinates are random, and it's a nice challenge. Takes a while though.

See Rally HQ in CC404 or MOTDs from November for more, better-phrased details.

EDIT: That message took me an age and a half to write on my tablet. I was so excited to get it done that I forgot my actual reply to this--I don't think the tinyrally is a bad idea, but... what was the intention of the full Rally? If I'm not misinterpreting it, I think the idea was to get people to travel over the whole map--maybe see some new dwellings, find some crates, build up stats, figure out the best ways to move around whether it be by walking, train, or OST. A twenty-point Rally just doesn't do the same thing.

Plus, if you think about it, the map is very big. A hundred points is a lot of walking, but at least you hit a lot of points in between there. Twenty points? You'd be hopping all over the place, and for much less gain for the stam or train passes you'd be using. ...If that makes sense. (I haven't slept. It probably doesn't.)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't twenty points seem like it'd be rather easier for people with first-class passes?

At any rate, it doesn't mean that you need to be there right when the Rally starts. It's nice to have a head start, but few people ever get this thing done in one sitting because it's so damn long. A head start, unless it's by fifty points or something, doesn't mean /that/ much. (Unless you're Buddleia, who is swift and mighty and once ninja'd me over a 79-point lead.) There is a bit of a time commitment to do the whole thing, but for somewhere around thirty cigs, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

< /rambling, far-too-long, probably-nonsensical reply>

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Symar

Um, what's a rally?

This is why we can't have nice things!

The hundred point rally is available in Cyber City 404. One enters the rally for a fee for 4 cigarettes. If you hit all hundred points (50 in predetermined order, 50 as you see fit), you have a chance to win the Jackpot of at least 20 cigs.

Quote by: Mongo

I have run the rally several times and it feels good to cut 2-3 minutes off the time of the last run.

Can I ask how long it takes you? I would participate more often, but it's quite exasperating. Last time it took me more than an hour of planning a route, intense train boarding, going back and forth between the map and my planned route.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the points were either within 5 clicks of eachother, or indeed, shorter. Like 50 points?

Felix: The rally starts once every 24 hours, and everybody has a chance to participate. It's not so popular that it's all over within a few hours - you can take your time. A rally can often take a day or more. If you join, you do stand a fair chance of winning.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Before I did a Rally, I thought 100 points out of 1000 possible squares was small.

Bejeebus I was wrong. The ordered points seem to have a less-than-totally-random placement that keeps you essentially oscillating between the north and southern parts of the map, and it takes way more in-game stamina and mental stamina to hit all the points than I expected.

I kinda like it that way though, but perhaps making it a bit more accessible by making it 80 or 75 might be better.

Profile Email
Felix V
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:28 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Plus, if you think about it, the map is very big. A hundred points is a lot of walking, but at least you hit a lot of points in between there. Twenty points? You'd be hopping all over the place, and for much less gain for the stam or train passes you'd be using. ...If that makes sense. (I haven't slept. It probably doesn't.)

This actually makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought about it that way. Same thing with the trains usage, it hadn't even occurred to me that it's allowed to use the train.
That makes it pretty unfair to newbies though. It took me 4 DK's to find out about the train at all. It seems that without a first class ticket you don't stand a chance at all. Schouldn't ticketless players be discouraged from joining the rally? Or is that already the case and did I just miss something?

I still think that 100 points seem daunting, but maybe I should try it first. If it doesn't really matter when you join, for your chances of winning I mean, it might be worth a shot.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First-Class passes let you teleport from one of 7 squares to any square, but not in reverse. The train isn't as big as an advantage as you'd assume, though it's true that it is an advantage.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

First-Class passes let you teleport from one of 7 squares to any square, but not in reverse. The train isn't as big as an advantage as you'd assume, though it's true that it is an advantage.

Also, it is an Improbable train. Use it often enough and you may get a surprise destination.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Felix+V

...it hadn't even occurred to me that it's allowed to use the train.
That makes it pretty unfair to newbies though. It took me 4 DK's to find out about the train at all. It seems that without a first class ticket you don't stand a chance at all. Schouldn't ticketless players be discouraged from joining the rally? Or is that already the case and did I just miss something?

I still think that 100 points seem daunting, but maybe I should try it first. If it doesn't really matter when you join, for your chances of winning I mean, it might be worth a shot.

It does seem a bit unfair, but remember that even if you use a first-class pass to get up to a square at the veeeery top of the map, you'd still have to walk back to one of the outposts to get on the train again unless you have the 7k~ req to spend on an OST. Trains are part of the game, so they're not fair or unfair--they're just a mechanism! And a perfectly legitimate mode of travel.

The Rally is about determining when it's better to walk and when it's better to use the train. Winning is more to do with plotting out the best paths rather than the tools you have (like OSTs or train passes).

I like that about the trains, that it's something you discover a bit further down the road. I remember being /delighted/ to find out that there was a train module. It's a lot of fun to find out about it, especially after a few DKs.

You should give it a spin. It's a lot of fun.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Monday, April 11 2011 @ 02:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Can I ask how long it takes you? I would participate more often, but it's quite exasperating. Last time it took me more than an hour of planning a route, intense train boarding, going back and forth between the map and my planned route.[/p]

At the risk of scaring off most of the competition, my best time has been one hour and 42 minutes. I can do the prep in about 20 min, and then things slow down from there. I'm blaming it on Pokey.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.98 seconds
New Topic Post Reply