Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The Answer's probably gonna be "no", but I'll ask anyway.
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, April 09 2011 @ 02:13 AM UTC (Read 1697 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I noticed that pretty much all the monsters in the jungle are written from a human standpoint, and all are carefully worded to be as gender-neutral as possible.

What if that didn't have to be the case?

Different jungle encounters

for each gender

of each race.

boom.

I realize this is a TON of work I'm asking for, and, although my monster submissions have been beyond crap, I'll help however needed. Of course, I'm betting the answer has abou a 99% chance of being "not a chance", but it would be amazingly awesome.

Failing that... how about some monsters that unlock with species? I'm used to reading human encounters, even though I'm a joker... throwing in midget, mutant, robot styled encounters would be tons of awesome.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, April 09 2011 @ 08:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love the idea. Race specific things especially. But why stop the awesome there? Different monsters for different terrain types (jungle slugs! giants crabs!) during different weather! (lightning wielding Norwegian blue! polar bear! rain god from Douglas Adams!) - assuming 49 weather/terrain combinations, that's a lot of monsters. Some of those will lower the standard and we'll have GENERIC MONSTER attack you with -- wait, we already have that one. And it's actually cool.

I'd like more monsters. Especially monsters that only work on II and aren't just a wink to popular culture. The failboat in particular has a rather small supply of monsters.

I'm not certain about the gender-based monsters. I'd either have to get a sex change or make an alt to get the other half of the game. I don't want an alt. I also don't want a sex change, and neither does my character.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, April 09 2011 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

No.

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Saturday, April 09 2011 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The FailBoat does have a sad and somewhat diminished supply of monsters, and I've been chipping quietly at that for a long time -- that spreadsheet is not NEARLY done enough for me to brew a pot of tea, sit down one afternoon, and give the Creature Editor hell.

But.

Yeah, uh, we have thought about this in the past and it is a colossally staggering amount of work.

Allow me to illustrate: Suppose we have 400 monsters now -- 400 x 7 races x 2 genders = 5600 monsters, at about 250 - 350 words a pop on average (for those monsters with a rating above 4) = 1,680,000 FUCKING WORDS CHRIST THAT'S LIKE 17 FULL LENGTH NOVELS WORTH OF WORDS, WHICH GETS EVEN WACKIER IF YOU BRING IN MY WISH TO MAKE ENCOUNTERS TERRAIN DEPENDENT AND HOLY FUCK THEY ALL HAVE TO BE GOOD STILL AND WE AUTOMATICALLY NONUPLE THE WORK LOAD EVERY TIME WE WANT TO ADD A MONSTER.

and then?

And then people will still aggressively spam fights and not even BASTARD READ IT.

That said, if the Island ever does grow to a point where Dan can hire the mods on, I will sit down to write seventeen full length novels worth of words or something roughly equivalent anyway. That is also the point where we would have race sensitive quests being written out, and a full length story-arc to explore.

The way you can be most useful is not by offering to write monsters, but by telling your friends about the game or tweeting and or blogging about the game or telling your friends who tweet and or blog about the game to tweet and or blog about game, and so on.

The dev team is working hard to produce more canon content for the game -- more stuff to do and read and explore and work on, so that the game is not just about our really wonderful, excellent, inclusive roleplay community and the DK / stat grind. You should be able to play through the Island for more than a week or two without being a roleplayer or being keen on beating your high scores in the HoF. We want that to be a reality. It's going to take some time to get to that reality just because of the particulars of our realities right now.

(The game mechanics are going to be a bloody lot more interesting in S3 anyway. *rubs hands gleefully*)

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you piece together threads on the Enquirer and Labs forums, it's quite easy to see that the number one concern with any content addition that CMJ has is the quantity of work. Weather, brothels, all of them have him multiplying factors and showing how much of a task implementing something is. I'm not bashing him at all for that--he's an unsalaried single-person operation, and so the things he can add need to always be considered in the perspective of "how much work will it be to add this". Zolotisty did the multiplying this time, but I'll still chalk it up to CMJ for future times when I'm going to re-explain this analysis of CMJ's posting habits.

Oh yes, I judge your every post to finely pinpoint your characterization, CMJ. And those pictures from the beard thread? That decision will follow you forever... Twisted Evil

Mr. Green

I'd like to take this opportunity to hijack the thread and then pull it in two different directions.

1) Could someone say exactly how many monsters do we currently have at each level, plus the Failboat?

2) Z, you opened it up. Can you divulge any current plans for how to make the game mechanics a lot more interesting in S3? Does it include Beef and Zip? Ghost/Poison type? All-Out Attacks and Rush mode? Combo quick-time events? Opposing 2d6 rolls plus stat modifiers? 50% attack bonus from behind and 25% from the sides (the text could be all backwards when behind the enemy, and a single vertical line when you're on the side) ? Lift and Throw options with the secret diagonal Throw if you click between switching the cardinal directions? Vortex and Mass Recall? Dispensers that shoot out arrows through lava walls? Managing radiation sickness with thirst when most water supplies are irradiated? Wisdom, Valor, and Master Form? ATB Gauges? TELL ME I NEED TO KNOW

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:56 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Total current number, not lately rebalanced for equal distribution (e.g.., there are 29 critters on L7, 19 on L12 -- I'll fix that up and our total will go up to somewhere a bit closer to 400): 383.

And, numbah two, I don't know how much I'm allowed to spoiler because I'm not sure how much is still on the table from when last I heard about it -- and I would be loathe to hype something that was quietly going to be scrapped, since.. that is.. sometimes an unfortunate pattern on the Enquirer. But! Here are some of the ideas in brief as I last understood them or heard them as being Seriously Considered*: Puzzle Combat. All weapons and armor as iItems. Slice, Rip, Poke, Bash. Specialization. Moar group combat. Moar integration and mutability of iItems generally. Procedurally generated stuff. Elimination of a current I Click This Fucker Daily link/module.

------------------------------------------------------------------
* All vague spoilers above subject to change. Offer not available in all Seasons. Zolotisty warrants that this hype will be free from defects in accuracy and truthiness and will operate for a period of six (6) months under normal discussion based on up to two (2) posts a week / four (4) weeks per month, when used in accordance with grain-of-salt cynicism and admin approval.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What might be cool for monster descriptions (and dwellings, for that matter) is a code that you can use to insert the player's race. Like how `w is used for weapon, you know? Maybe even one that uses "he" or "she" depending on the reader's gender? I'm certain you could use those in decently clever ways to make race-and-gender specific monster descriptions.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Puzzle Combat.

Oooh, I wonder what this one is going to be set up like.

All weapons and armor as iItems.

Yes... yessssssss... yesssssssssssssssss!

Slice, Rip, Poke, Bash.

Ah, so maybe this is implemented in an Elemental type? Bash beats plate, poke beats chain, slice beats leather/cloth, and rip beats flesh?
Or perhaps they're just different effects--Bashes cripple, pokes cause pain, slices bleed, and rips are FINISHERS!

Either way, Big Grin

Specialization.

Almost always good.

Moar group combat.

I'd love to see this. MANIAK, HIT HIM IN THE SHINS WHILE I DEGRADE THIS SCALAWAG'S DIGNITY!

Moar integration and mutability of iItems generally.

Combat Items really get the economy moving and prevent req buildup. I like it.

Procedurally generated stuff.

The biggest appeal of the Roguelike gametype. Yes plix. (Also, I recommend people check out Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl if you like ASCII-graphics procedurally generated dungeon crawls.)

Elimination of a current I Click This Fucker Daily link/module.

B-b-b-b-b-b-but now I'd have to do things DIFFERENT to what I did THE DAY BEFORE :O

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

What might be cool for monster descriptions (and dwellings, for that matter) is a code that you can use to insert the player's race. Like how `w is used for weapon, you know? Maybe even one that uses "he" or "she" depending on the reader's gender? I'm certain you could use those in decently clever ways to make race-and-gender specific monster descriptions.

But Matthew wouldn't that start to get confusing with all the weird custom races we have? That sounds like it's probably more work than it sounds...

shrugs. I ain't no coder. Just thinkin.

Moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.81 seconds
New Topic Post Reply