Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Monster List?
 |  Printable Version
Trowa
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM UTC (Read 3623 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, I was just wondering, does anyone have a list of all the monsters? Not necessarily the descriptions or anything like that, just a straight list of names of monsters organized by level. Like a nice Google Doc or something...?

I've decided on my next DK I want to go on a quest. A quest...to collect 'em all! So, I was hoping I could make a checklist that I could go by.

Mostly because I've realized that I've barely paid attention to most of the monsters since starting this game almost four months ago. Sure, I've stopped and read some of them, especially long ones, but most of the time I'm concentrating on Timed Combat, and if I pause too long, the timer bar goes away on the next attack! I also tend to ignore the experience bar and just run it up as high as possible until my dojo master hunts me down, effectively skipping an entire level in the process. I didn't even realize the monsters are separated by level until I found CMJ's post on Reddit with all of the Lion descriptions! (Yes, I am that dense! A quality known to be found in engineers. Oops! ) Perhaps in that sense I've been spoiled by Timed Combat, not having been around long enough to realize there was a time when it didn't exist. Cry

So I've resolved, for at least one DK, to stop and smell the monsters. That way I'll notice new ones in the future, and actually garner a true appreciation for the writing that went into all of them.

Also, I did a quick search and found the alphabetical list and the improbable monsters list, but they're incomplete and even seem to have some monsters that don't exist (or have been removed)? (It is the Wiki of Lies, after all, right?)

Or is this an avenue I shouldn't even bother trying to go down?

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's also the meat list which contain a lot of monsters, but since the monster list is often evolving, making a complete and current list is rather an ongoing project.

New monsters get added, others are thrown out constantly.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm...I was afraid of that. Sounds like this may take more than one DK...

Do any monsters only appear when looking for an Easy Fight, Big Trouble, or Suicidal? I'm not talking about ones that get the "malignant", "elite", etc. tags added to them, but specific monsters you can only find if you hunt outside "Trouble."

Guh, I feel so dense for even having to ask these things.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, not that I've seen. Also note that the turnover rate of monsters isn't that extreme. If you do one DK, you'll probably have seen all monsters. Do it again a month later and there will be a few discrepancies.

I don't know how often new monsters get added - it depends on how creative and voting we've all been.

If you re-reading all the monsters, would you mind adding any errors in them to the presentation bug reports? Or if there's a mod I could do this project together with, I'll gladly do some legwork myself.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do watch out for monsters, and there's often some that don't turn up in an entire DK, and I really don't DK very fast either. So I'd maybe plan on a couple if I were you.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Figures. My plan was to hold back from leveling up until I found every monster for that level, but if a categorized list doesn't exist, then it will take more than one DK. (Yes, I just realized that if such a list did exist and contained monsters that had since been removed, I would hang out on a certain level indefinitely looking for it. /facepalm)

Well, I'll do my best, then, starting with smashing all the existing lists together and then adding a Level category as I find them. I'm not a very good proofreader, but if I see any glaring mistakes I'll check the bug report and add any that aren't there. (Seriously, looking through that brought me right back to college. My head hurts now.)

Man, I really wanted to go on a monster hunt! Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Combining the Meat List and the Monster List gave me a total of 295 Monsters, including the Drive itself. The Meat List seemed to be more up-to-date, but still didn't include many monsters from the alphabetical list, which seemed to also have a bunch of monsters that have either been changed or deleted (i.e. "Midgets from the Travel Agency" probably got turned into "Midgets from the Train Station" at some point). I'm also nearly positive there are monsters missing from both lists that I can vaguely remember seeing at some point.

This'll be fun! Mr. Green

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Taking a quick look at the monster list, there's quite a lot that I don't recognise, and several that I haven't seen in a while. Jesus the Pirate Ninja is a player from some while ago. The meat list will only list those creatures who it is possible to get meat from. Good luck.

By the way, watch out for the evil orc. (level 4? 5?) My personal favourite.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 03:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is probably going to sound a bit cheekier than I mean, but you know, you don't have to do timed combat. If you notice a name that you haven't seen before, you can make a mental note to stop spamming if you see the name flash again during that level. And then you can stop and read it, intentionally missing the timed combat in order to read.

Timed Combat is only 'necessary', which I still use very loosely, at the tip-top ranks, in poorly equipped situations.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 04:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That was my point, I've stopped using the timed combat to actually pause and read the descriptions now. Big Grin If I keep my clock open, I feel pressured to use the timed combat, much like a video game -- which is perfectly fine in my opinion, but I realize I'm missing quite a bit of content. It's just not so easy to stop using timed combat in the heat of spamming fights or crate hunting ("Gah, not another monster!" mash-mash-mash). It's taken me 19 DK's to get to a point where I feel perfectly confident not using it now on low ranks (as a robot, no less!).

As an aside: 11 monsters down while crate hunting! Added three to my list, too. Unfortunately, I decided to start now, when I'm at Level 3....(and about to be hunted down if I can't get myself Failed).

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Here's an idea: if you already started working on it, maybe make the list a google doc and share it? This way other people would be able to pitch in and help. I've seen it done for weapons and gear at Sheila's and the list was done in a jiffy (read a few days). I might not be able to help myself, being somewhat busy, but I'm sure there's going to be no shortage of helping hands.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

Here's an idea: if you already started working on it, maybe make the list a google doc and share it? This way other people would be able to pitch in and help. I've seen it done for weapons and gear at Sheila's and the list was done in a jiffy (read a few days). I might not be able to help myself, being somewhat busy, but I'm sure there's going to be no shortage of helping hands.

Actually, that's the first thing I did! Big Grin I haven't shared it yet because I'm trying to figure out if I can lock certain cells or if I just need to make my own copy to mark off which ones I've encountered (also: because I can't make it look nearly as pretty as, say, one of Buddleia's). But, since you asked, I'll get a link up here shortly.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Trowa

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

Actually, that's the first thing I did! Big Grin I haven't shared it yet because I'm trying to figure out if I can lock certain cells or if I just need to make my own copy to mark off which ones I've encountered (also: because I can't make it look nearly as pretty as, say, one of Buddleia's). But, since you asked, I'll get a link up here shortly.

I don't think there's any way to lock cells. But you could make a column for you to check off which ones you've encountered, and let other people who want to play the same game make their own check-off columns, if they like.

(Yes, Buddleia makes very good use of the option under the Format menu: "Change colors with rules...")

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 04:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As promised: tinyurl.com/II-Monsters

The columns are filtered so you can add monsters anywhere, and still alphabetize it or arrange by Level. Judging from Wiki entries, it's possible to see monsters up to Level 17 (hunting for Big Trouble and Suicidally at Lvl 15). I know there are some specific to the FailBoat, as well, but I'm not sure if there are some you cannot encounter in the Failboat? That's an iffy column, and I'm not terribly concerned about it. I think Fail-Boat-specific monsters can appear at any level you're on, and are just scaled?

If anyone feels like making style changes, please go right ahead! Just don't remove any monsters unless you know for a fact that it's no longer in the game (i.e.: A mod told you; it's from Season One; etc.).

Also, Sessine nailed exactly what I was doing: under the "Trowa Encountered" column, the cells are red until I fill them with an 'x', then they turn green automatically. Love that feature! So if you want to add your own column and follow along, go right ahead! Smile I just hope it doesn't get crazy huge, lol!

I'll be updating the Lions as soon as Reddit is back up; CMJ wrote out every Lion encounter in the game (one of the reasons I'm starting this quest).

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have never seen the following from Trowa's list:

Burly Man
Carrot Top
Cats and Rats and Elephants (think that's a wiki joke)
Chili Chef
Cloned Diehard Harry Potter Fan (I guess that became Harry Potter Reenactor?)
The Daughter of the Devil
The Devil in a Blue Dress
Everquest Junkie
The Government
Green Alligators
Haberdasher
Heart of Stone
Insane Proctologists
Invisible Man
Iron Chef
Jerkygangers
Jerkymaster
Jesus the Ninja Pirate
Long-necked Geese
Man from deep, deep, dark, dark, deep, dark woods
NASCAR Fan
The Other White Meat
Polar Bear
The Psychedelic Mushroom of Eternal Chaos
Pushme Pullyew
Rush Hour Driver
Some Humpty-Back Camels
Someone's Grandfather
Typical Squaresoft Hero
Ugly Harpy
Ursa Minor
Yesterday's Salad

Have these been added in the past 2 months? Because otherwise, these must be old or wiki lies. Obviously, a combination of all three is likely.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 04:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Burly Man
Carrot Top
Chili Chef
Everquest Junkie
The Government
Green Alligators
Haberdasher
Heart of Stone
Insane Proctologists
Invisible Man
Iron Chef
Jerkygangers
Jerkymaster
Jesus the Ninja Pirate
Long-necked Geese
NASCAR Fan
The Other White Meat
Polar Bear
Pushme Pullyew
Rush Hour Driver
Some Humpty-Back Camels
Someone's Grandfather
Typical Squaresoft Hero
Ugly Harpy
Ursa Minor
Yesterday's Salad

Have these been added in the past 2 months? Because otherwise, these must be old or wiki lies. Obviously, a combination of all three is likely.

I've never seen any of those before either. And I know that the Man from deep, deep, dark, dark, deep, dark woods is from LotGD.

On a side note, I think I had heard once of level 16 or 17 monsters that only show up during outpost breaches. Any truth to this?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 05:18 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

On a side note, I think I had heard once of level 16 or 17 monsters that only show up during outpost breaches. Any truth to this?
Level 16 and 17 monsters need to exist, because people can Look for Big Trouble or Search Suicidally after they are level 15.

Since most people go rushing off to find the drive the minute they hit 15, these monsters aren't encountered very often... except during a breach, when monster level doesn't count.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Burly Man
Carrot Top
Chili Chef
Everquest Junkie
The Government
Green Alligators
Haberdasher
Heart of Stone
Insane Proctologists
Invisible Man
Iron Chef
Jerkygangers
Jerkymaster
Jesus the Ninja Pirate
Long-necked Geese
NASCAR Fan
The Other White Meat
Polar Bear
Pushme Pullyew
Rush Hour Driver
Some Humpty-Back Camels
Someone's Grandfather
Typical Squaresoft Hero
Ugly Harpy
Ursa Minor
Yesterday's Salad

I'm in agreement with you and Docenspiel, I haven't seen these monsters either. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple LotGD monsters were held over in the list. (Ugly Harpy and Burly Man?) I'll go ahead and flag those like I did "The First Lion".

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Burly Man
Carrot Top
Chili Chef
Everquest Junkie
The Government
Green Alligators
Haberdasher
Heart of Stone
Insane Proctologists
Invisible Man
Iron Chef
Jerkygangers
Jerkymaster
Jesus the Ninja Pirate
Long-necked Geese
NASCAR Fan
The Other White Meat
Polar Bear
Pushme Pullyew
Rush Hour Driver
Some Humpty-Back Camels
Someone's Grandfather
Typical Squaresoft Hero
Ugly Harpy
Ursa Minor
Yesterday's Salad

I have seen the rush hour driver. I'm not sure about the insane proctologists, a may have seen them or I may be mixing them up with a different monster. Some monsters were removed due few people liking them.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks for helping out, everyone! It's kind of fun watching the edits take place almost in real-time! Big Grin

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.78 seconds
New Topic Post Reply