Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Impressions given to new comers to the Island.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM UTC (Read 3957 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have, over time, played new characters on the Island, and I like to train them up so they can be the race that I want to roleplay them as. This has given me some thoughts on the Island experience for newcomers.

It's quite hard to put yourself in somebody else's shoes, so I'd like some feedback from anyone who first arrived here recently. Am I close? Or am I spouting complete bollocks? Let me know!

1) Timed fighting.
When my last but one character arrived, I'd been in NewHome for less than a minute when somebody taught me timed fighting. All I knew about it was the distraction that gets automatically sent, there was no word at all from who ever had taught me this. I can see this being nothing but confusing. If the only reason that somebody is teaching you is so that they can get their teachers medal then, well, it's not that helpful to newcomers. Maybe removing that medal might be an idea?

The last character fared rather better. He lasted about five minutes before he was taught, although he still hadn't said anything anywhere. In this case, it was by somebody who was making an effort to be friendly and welcoming, and who left a few lines in my natter space. So much better, but still a little strange? I don't know.

2) Quests
I'm not sure what to call these, not the Dan quests, but the one offs. Jill. Maiko's frying pan, etc. You get the first one (Jill) upon reaching lvl 2 on your first DK. The second (The watcher is watching you) on your next level up. That's two really quickly. Now I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking forward to more, but there's not that many altogether at the moment, and these things take time. Perhaps it might be an idea to spread these out a little more?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

It's quite hard to put yourself in somebody else's shoes, so I'd like some feedback from anyone who first arrived here recently. Am I close? Or am I spouting complete bollocks? Let me know!

I think I still remember enough from being a rookie to help answer these... (Hell, I've watched the "olbies" enough to still feel like a newbie.)

1) Timed fighting.
When my last but one character arrived, I'd been in NewHome for less than a minute when somebody taught me timed fighting. All I knew about it was the distraction that gets automatically sent, there was no word at all from who ever had taught me this. I can see this being nothing but confusing. If the only reason that somebody is teaching you is so that they can get their teachers medal then, well, it's not that helpful to newcomers. Maybe removing that medal might be an idea?

Same thing happened to me; instant timed combat. I thought it was a feature (well, it is, but what I mean is getting it so quickly). I don't even remember who gave it to me because Distractions were still on a weekly clean-out cycle, and I had no clue yet how to find and Distract people using the List. I had just fallen from the sky in the buff with naught but my wits, and timed combat ruined the whole game for me -- I didn't even know it yet! (See my Monster List thread.)

When it came time for me to teach it, I made sure I found someone I had at least spoken to first so they didn't have the same experience I did (hint hint). It's rare, but occasionally un-tutored rookies will find their way to the Fail Boat, which is where I found someone.

I think it's been suggested before that maybe new players not be allowed to learn Timed Combat until their second DK; it would cut down on the instant tutoring, and make it a more challenging medal to get, especially if the new player in question bought a custom title before DK'ing for the first time.

2) Quests
I'm not sure what to call these, not the Dan quests, but the one offs. Jill. Maiko's frying pan, etc. You get the first one (Jill) upon reaching lvl 2 on your first DK. The second (The watcher is watching you) on your next level up. That's two really quickly. Now I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking forward to more, but there's not that many altogether at the moment, and these things take time. Perhaps it might be an idea to spread these out a little more?

"Game Quests?" Heh. This is probably better suited for someone who's only been around less than a couple months or so to answer, since Stranger, Jill, Stern and Punishment came out after I joined the game. I feel these are more like rare Improbable Events than quests, even if their occurrence is determined by number of DK's, level, or what-have-you, so I really don't mind the intervals they occur at. When Stranger came out, that gave me something to work towards, and I didn't even know about Maiko's yet.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, May 11 2011 @ 05:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

People always say that there's no penalty to not using Timed Combat, but I was taught it so quickly after signing up that I consistently used it right from the beginning, and consequently whenever I don't used Timed Combat, I feel like I am suffering a penalty. I certainly fail a lot more without it. I don't know if that's the way Timed Combat is supposed to feel.

Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to teach Timed Combat until they've got a few DKs under their belt. That might be better than not letting new folk learn it, since it is a nice skill for those whose internet connections are fast enough.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I can remember my reaction from a year ago: 'Thou shalt not teach Timed Combat without an explanation of online metronomes.' It definitely added to the confusion of the first day or two. I use it all the time now, but it was a bit much to dump on a new player.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I teach a rookie a day timed fighting. I just go to the contestant's list, pick a name, and teach it. I never instigate further contact. Uh, sorry for helping?

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 06:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I remember being taught Timed Fighting pretty quickly after joining the game. Although I can't remember who taught it to me, I also got a helpful distract explaining what it was for and helpful hints about on line metronomes etc.

I had always assumed that this was a standard distract that went along with teaching someone the skill no? If not maybe it should be?

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For those who want to know:

This is the autodistract when you first sign up:

If you have any questions that aren't answered in Basic Training, feel free to ask folks in the Banter channel for help - everybody's really friendly here.

To keep the Island running fast, characters are deleted automatically if they're left to gather dust - so please, remember to sign into your character every now and then.

Characters who have never earned any experience points will be erased if they haven't logged in for seven days.
Characters who have not reached level two will be erased if they don't log in for thirty days.
Characters who have reached level two at least once will expire after ninety days of inactivity.

If you anticipate not being around a computer for three months (it happens - extended holidays, military service, and so on), have a look in the Hunter's Lodge for a permanent account option.

Thanks for reading, and good luck!

And this is the Timed Combat autodistract:

You can now perform Timed Combat in fights! If you time your fight commands correctly, you'll get a double-attack and double-defence bonus! The bonus applies to everything you do in combat. Try timing your five-round auto-fights - one correct hit wins you five rounds of extra power, and the same goes for ten-round auto-fighting too! If you don't want to muck about with counting under your breath, you can ignore the new skill and carry on fighting as you've always done. Get four perfect hits in a row and you can teach other players! Have fun!

I never even considered using a metronome, I was getting into the 20's on my timed combat strings easily without them, and usually I'd get knocked off by lag. I never use timed combat anymore, except for against titans.

Profile Email
Um the Muse
 Friday, May 13 2011 @ 02:46 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: dizzyizzy

I teach a rookie a day timed fighting. I just go to the contestant's list, pick a name, and teach it. I never instigate further contact. Uh, sorry for helping?

I forgive you Razz. But seriously, that thing is very annoying--I have an iPod touch, so I'm guaranteed not to be able to use this consistantly (except at four seconds, which apparently is right in the middle, or something). Combining this with targetted attacks was frustrating. I tossed that character, because I wasn't having fun since I couldn't get the thing to work.

Another first impression: I have started over with the simpler package (Spatial Awareness, I think). I sighed a big sigh of relief--battles are simpler (I just hit "to the death") and easier, since I know better than to go looking for big trouble now.

Re: quests
Yeah, Jill's quest is in the right spot, imho, but the watcher event is weird. You're level 2 and the Watcher respects you already? Huh? By the way, I'd already managed to die in both games by the time I got them. Pretty funny stuff. This time I even got to see the Watcher throw my seasickness at the ceiling of the failboat! It was great! It just didn't fit.

But you know? A lot of this game is like that--it makes lots of assumptions and doesn't care how you feel about stuff. The whole game never cares about things like "fairness" or "rewarding correct choices." This isn't a strategy game. I play for the laughs, which I get even if my character dies.

Uh, forgot where I was going with that. Um, guess I was saying the quests are funny, but the timed combat is not.

Profile Email
jakell
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I didn't get taught the timed combat until several DKs in; at which point it opened up a whole new world of combat to me... Though I might appreciate it more after having trudged through several DKs of normal combat, I would certainly have appreciated learning it sooner!

Every now and then, I'll hunt through the failboated contestants at the end of my day and look for someone to teach. I've been dropping a comment on their natters wishing them success with their new skill, though I might start sending them distractions now...

Profile Email
Xavior Litencyre
 Tuesday, June 14 2011 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hah. I didn't even know until reading this thread that timed combat wasn't something I automatically knew. I thought it was odd that I was supposed to be able to "teach people" once I figured out how to do it.(What, does it make it easier?)

I didn't even know it was a thing that was possible and not just a funny little information bar until after my first drive kill, when I started relying on the windows sidebar clock and got into the 20s. There was NO auto-distraction for it(I still have my welcome message) and I now rely on it for just about every fight since otherwise I wouldn't be able to survive Smile

That said....I have no complaints. I thought it was neat that I had to figure it out for myself.

Profile Email
QuinnR
 Saturday, July 09 2011 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Iriana

Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to teach Timed Combat until they've got a few DKs under their belt. That might be better than not letting new folk learn it, since it is a nice skill for those whose internet connections are fast enough.

Hah, I JUST made a thread about how Timed Combat could work with slower internet connections.

Anyways, my thoughts on the matter (I've been here just a little bit, recently got my first DK):

Timed Combat: 5 minutes? It took me like 3-4 days to learn it. At that point I was pretty immersed in the game, and this new feature was pretty awesome. I don't know about limiting it to only people with DK...they might have a much harder time of finding this, and I think it made combat interesting right when it was starting to get a wee bit repetitive. And I didn't even know there was a medal. I just teach people to help them out.

Quests: The quests are awesome. They make the game more interesting and immersive, and add more fun stuff to read. I'm not sure how many there are, but I'd love to have more quests to do this second DK, they really add to the value of the game. Spreading them out until there are more may be a good idea though. (Like if there are only quests for the first DK, that might suck a little bit.)

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 02:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

re: 3-4 days for timed combat: During those 3-4 days, did you once post in the story or banter channels, or do anything whatsoever to make your presence known to islanders? You can't learn if nobody knows you exist. Most people do not go searching through the contestants list for those who don't know it, and those who do search can only teach one person a day, so that's not reliable. Personally, I didn't learn until I'd applied for GERM (which I did before posting anywhere).

Profile Email
Liebs
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 03:28 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I learned Timed Combat after I'd posted in NewHome banter saying something along the lines of "...hello and help?" To me, it felt like a really nice gesture from an older player welcoming a newbie into the fold, as it were. I didn't really understand how to use it for a while, though. Now when I send somebody Timed Combat, I either give them tips in Banter or send them a Distraction. (Also, when I can, I try to do it in-character, but that's neither here nor there.)

I agree with Iriana: it might not be a bad idea to require a player to have had at least one DK in addition to getting the 4x combo before they're able to teach Timed Combat to a rookie. That way, it has more of that experienced-player-passing-down-their-knowledge vibe, maybe?

As for quests, front-loading 'em isn't too overwhelming, and when done in a way that introduces the player to all the different aspects of the Island (which the Mr. Stern, Jill and Watcher bits do, in my opinion), it probably helps with player retention. Makes you want to keep playing and racking up the DKs in order to find out what happens next, you know?

Profile Email
QuinnR
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

re: 3-4 days for timed combat: During those 3-4 days, did you once post in the story or banter channels, or do anything whatsoever to make your presence known to islanders? You can't learn if nobody knows you exist. Most people do not go searching through the contestants list for those who don't know it, and those who do search can only teach one person a day, so that's not reliable. Personally, I didn't learn until I'd applied for GERM (which I did before posting anywhere).

I am pretty sure I had been posting in the Global Banter on the first day. Although, I didn't really do anything to say I was obviously brand new, aside from asking newbie-ish questions.

Profile Email
Boudi
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I don't often teach timed combat, but when I do, I usually leave a message in their natter, sometimes a distraction. I worry about using a natter, as I wonder how soon the rookies manage to spot and use it. Because, maybe a friendly hand early on would encourage more rookies to stay, but if they can't see it soon enough, they might leave. Pity, is all.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: QuinnR

I am pretty sure I had been posting in the Global Banter on the first day. Although, I didn't really do anything to say I was obviously brand new, aside from asking newbie-ish questions.

Ah. Global Banter doesn't provide a nice, easy link to your bio, and almost nobody's going to go out of their way to figure out if you've got timed combat or not.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 11:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Timed Combat: 5 minutes? It took me like 3-4 days to learn it. At that point I was pretty immersed in the game, and this new feature was pretty awesome. I don't know about limiting it to only people with DK...they might have a much harder time of finding this, and I think it made combat interesting right when it was starting to get a wee bit repetitive. And I didn't even know there was a medal. I just teach people to help them out.

Yes, so a DK minimum for teaching Timed, not for learning it.

I do think Timed Combat provides an opportunity to talk to new people and welcome them. When I teach it, I drop a Distract pointing the person to an online metronome and saying "if you have any questions, feel free to ask", and that helps with the general air of friendliness we try to keep around here. But, well, you can't answer questions quite as well if you've been here all of two hours, so I do think the DK minimum would translate into a helpful level of experience.

And, uh, I don't mean to sound snotty here, but if you already think combat is repetitive, imagine the days before the new target system for people who have been through a few (or, like Dizzy and Boud, a lot of) DKs. But people still find ways to keep themselves entertained. It's necessary in all games like this.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, July 11 2011 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Combat is boring. I hate the fuck out of it. Timed combat gets ignored, except for when I'm fighting titans, because it's boring. Not only is combat boring, but puzzles are boring, so puzzle combat is super-duper extra boring, and thusly is ignored. I continue fighting because I want to be measurably better than you. Yes, you personally. I can never understand the talk of sprucing up combat, because none of the suggestions ever include "and then we can run it on the Unreal Engine", because that is the only way to make it even a smidge interesting.

Profile Email
QuinnR
 Monday, July 11 2011 @ 06:12 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Iriana

And, uh, I don't mean to sound snotty here, but if you already think combat is repetitive, imagine the days before the new target system for people who have been through a few (or, like Dizzy and Boud, a lot of) DKs. But people still find ways to keep themselves entertained. It's necessary in all games like this.

Nah, you don't sound snotty. While I understand that combat may have been more boring before, I was just stating my first impressions on the battle system, in paticular. Not trying to say the game is boring or anything!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.58 seconds
New Topic Post Reply