Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Saved Days
 |  Printable Version
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 03:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To Hairy, et al.,

After 42 years on this planet, 8 years of a Bush presidency, and a horrible divorce 8 years ago, I think it's safe to say I'm pretty difficult to offend.
Also, unlike when I was, say, in my 20s, I have been thoroughly disabused of the notion that my latest brain bubble is THE BEST IDEA EVARS.

I really actually prefer conversations where many ideas come in, and efficient paths found between them that embrace many sources of input. Now, I DO like participating in the conversations, goading others to contribute more/better/other ideas, and stimulating conversations when I find little but silence.

Point is, I'm more than happy to be called out for a crap idea. I'll defend it, sure -- that's forensics. But that doesn't mean I'm married to my own notions.

So, no hard or even vaguely stung feelings on my end.
I was confused.

ANNNNNND, I think I've said everything I need to say about revenue models, at least for now.

On to my next topic, which I think will address the notion of event-based in-game locations, and Island wide special FX, ala the recent bannination event.

But that's for another thread. And another cup of Caveman-brand joe.
(Hey, there's something we could offer in the Improbable online store alongside T-Shirts, mousepads and thongs!)

All best,

~Crash

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 03:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I think there may be a bit of a language difficulty, here.

"Taking the piss" is a British idiom meaning making fun of something or someone, teasing, joking around. It doesn't imply an intent to offend. Impudence, maybe, but nothing worse. In other words: LOLs. (Brits, correct me if I've missed a nuance -- I'm just a Canuck with a taste for British humour, which means I've run across the low sort.)

It's an idiom that doesn't cross the Atlantic well. In North America being "pissed" means being either angry or very drunk, someone who's "pissy" is annoyed and showing it, and "Piss off!" is an insult -- depending on subculture, it's extremely rude or only mildly so, but it's never friendly. I can't, off-hand, think of any North American idioms involving "piss" that aren't negative. So an American or Canadian encountering "taking the piss" for the first time is likely to assume that it means something like being quarrelsome, at least, and maybe nastier than that.

/linguistic clarification

Now... back to your regularly scheduled discussion of how to get Dan more income without stepping over the line into commercial exploitation.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 03:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Though, if you're going to do the extra day off the failboat, I think that is should be counted as a restoration in the form of turns, just to make it more agreeable.

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 04:24 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@Sessine: It's actually a little more complex than that. The phrase "taking the piss" is very context-sensitive, and can refer to a wide variety of transgressions, from playful joshing to outright antagonism. It can be used to refer to someone taking something too far, someone being outright abusive, someone betraying a trust, or simply someone having a playful, friendly laugh. There are other situations in which it's appropriate, too.

It's not a phrase that translates easily to American. Smile

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 04:29 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@Rik:
Your idea is a good one, but I'd like to address something else you said.

Actually, it'd be a lot easier to just modify the existing Saved Days module. Just swap the modulesetting that stores the maximum number of saved days for a modulepref instead, and then alter that modulepref depending on Lodge purchases. Easy.

Clarification:
A modulesetting is an admin-settable variable which affects all players globally (for example, the payout percentage on the one-armed bandit in the Prancing Spiderkitty).
A modulepref is a variable assigned to a player, stored in the moduleprefs table and cross-referenced to the name of the module (for example, the number of Bang grenades that you currently have on you).

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 05:03 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

(*ahhh!* -- memo to self: don't try to explain Brits to Yanks or vice versa. Canadians always make this mistake. We sort of understand both. But not as much as we think we do.)

About the Saved Days module: For future flexibility, I think you might want to throw in two moduleprefs. One would be the automatic maximum saved days cap, which would be pretty easy to change depending on Lodge purchases.

The other would be a Saved Days Bank. Using an individually purchased Saved Day would be a different action from using a New Day: it would be more like a non-human using a grenade: not automatically replenished, each would be a one-time event, but you could build up a reserve if you thought you might need them.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 05:21 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Well, what sort of functionality are we suggesting, here?

Scenario 1:
For a small amount of points (say, 50 or 100), player temporarily expands their maximum allowance of Saved Days. Let's say it lasts for a month. Player can now store up to three saved days. Player can spend more to further increase their maximum allowance. This could get tricky with keeping track of how old each slot is, but will not upset game balance - players still get to play just as many days as their non-paying comrades and no more, however they have the flexibility to decide when to use those days.

Scenario 1a:
Same as above, but effects are permanent and the option is more expensive.

Scenario 2:
Days purchased in the Hunter's Lodge are treated as one-off consumable items. Their information is stored separately to the information regarding the standard amount of saved days. For example, a player might have two "natural" days saved up, and two purchased days. Hitting the New Day button depletes the Natural days first, so after the player has played three days' worth of extended play, they have no natural saved days left, and one purchased day. If they log off and don't log back in for a real day, then their store of natural saved days is replenished to full, and they still have their purchased saved day. This will have to be a little more expensive than other options, as it gives the player a real advantage in gameplay, not just extra flexibility.

Of course, it's also possible to do all of the above in a single new module. Pricing suggestions for all options are encouraged.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 07:27 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I was thinking, both scenarios 1 and 2.

But not 1a. Though as a player I'd love to to be able to increase that cap permanently, if you sell it as a permanent privilege, it will remove the incentive to sign up for small regular donations. My advice is, don't do it.

Scenario 2 should be expensive enough that players will need to think twice and three times before using one. Rare and valuable. Emergencies only. You already sell advantages in gameplay in the form of cigarettes and reqs for Donator Points. If you're worried about game balance, you could maybe place a (higher) cap on the number of consumable days a player can purchase, but that might be overcomplicating things. I think price alone could keep this from getting out of hand.

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 12:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I think that 150 dp makes for a good amount to expand your saved days by one for a month.

I think that 250 dp makes for a good price for a new day. I think that it should be an option to purchase it in the failboat, or that you could buy favor for 1dp a favor, though that might be a bit too cheap.

I have some other things I'd like to see in the Hunter's Lodge, but I'll make a new thread for them.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Fodder Kid
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 01:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I like the first option. That's what my non-coding brain was trying to say when I came up with this post. I'd like to be able to pay for the ability to play here as much as someone who DOESN'T have 1 wife, 2 daughters, 3 poodles, 1 teaching job, and 2 part time jobs.

The only REMOTELY POSSIBLE way is for me to kick the game some cash, and play the HELL out of the game when all the ladies in my life are asleep Laughing Out Loud

Fodder Kid

Profile Email
Mister Rik
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 07:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

@Rik:
Your idea is a good one, but I'd like to address something else you said.

Actually, it'd be a lot easier to just modify the existing Saved Days module. Just swap the modulesetting that stores the maximum number of saved days for a modulepref instead, and then alter that modulepref depending on Lodge purchases. Easy.

Ah, okay. I should probably mention that when I use words like "easier" in connection with coding, I'm basically talking out of my ass Wink I was thinking from the outside looking in, and assuming that just plugging in a pre-existing module would be easier than rewriting the Saved Days code. But yeah, if it's just a matter of a pref setting, then never mind Smile

Anyway, I'm in almost in the same boat as Fodder Kid. No wife & kids, but a bizarre and unpredictable work schedule with some ridiculously long hours (I'm in the convention/catering business). As we head into our busy season I'll be looking a 14- to 16-hour shifts, and sometimes 6-7 days a week. Needless to say, I won't be on every single day like I have been! So when a day off rolls around, it would be nice to plant my ass in front of my computer, relax, and play a little catch-up. So I'm most certainly in favor of this idea.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.92 seconds
New Topic Post Reply