Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Places System: Current Progress
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This isn't a bug but a suggestion, I'm not quite sure where to put it.

At the moment, doors go from somewhere to somewhere else. For a given room, there's two lists. "Explore Further" and "Return". Would it be possible to just have one list, "Exits"?

Also, could we keep contraptions and contrivances in our storage as well as wood and stone?

Profile Email
Gryph
 Friday, August 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'd like to second the above - if "Returns" is used, I'd recommend it just go back to the most recent room.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 12 2011 @ 06:41 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Contraptions and Contrivances will be things that you can put in your Place's Inventory, yes.

There's a new Contraption lurking in the Scrapyard - this one shows a selected page when its needs are met.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 12 2011 @ 06:57 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

And another Contraption; this one simply adds a link to a page when its needs are met.

Profile Email Website
Ilovemath224
 Friday, August 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

[offtopic]After the rewrite, somebody should make a one/two room dwelling called "Internet" or "Intranet" or "IRC", or possibly slap Server on the end of any one of those, and have a memory for the place that tracks which dwelling somebody came to it from. The idea being a chatroom kinda like the common ground, accessible from multiple dwellings that happen to have computers.

Actually, I think "IRC Server" sounds the best for improbable island, with the enterable part being a lobby for the building, with a possible third room connected to it that's basically an "IRC Cafe", allowing you to access the IRC room from that dwelling, and the actual IRC room not having any doors to it, instead using contraptions and contrivances to handle how you get to that room. Maybe there'd be a fourth, "Staff Only" server room as well.

Wait, I'm getting into way too much bloody detail with this. I should just stop that idea right here.[/offtopic]

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 04:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Doing a partial rewrite of the Places backend. Some of it is a bit messy and could be laid out more logically; by editing as I go, we should be able to avoid doing this again in the future.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 07:02 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Eliminated the Door Destruction menu, 'cause there are better ways we can hide unneeded Rooms (via Contraption, probably).
Added a "Kick out players" menu. Smile

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Fixed commentary-related bugs that only showed up when the game was installed on a URL with a / in it...

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 08:05 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Eliminated the Door Destruction menu, 'cause there are better ways we can hide unneeded Rooms (via Contraption, probably).

I must confess I'm sorry to see this feature go. It's been one of the high points of the new system for me. It's not just a case of hiding rooms from sight. Being able to destroy a door allows the place-owner to completely re-purpose any room, and easily re-structure the place. Which takes away that "must get the layout right first time" worry when building something complicated, and will allow places to be tweaked and improved after they've been built.

Will this still be possible if doors can no longer be destroyed, and a Contraption is used to hide rooms instead?

Profile Email
Swede
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: calliaphone

I must confess I'm sorry to see this feature go. It's been one of the high points of the new system for me. It's not just a case of hiding rooms from sight. Being able to destroy a door allows the place-owner to completely re-purpose any room, and easily re-structure the place. Which takes away that "must get the layout right first time" worry when building something complicated, and will allow places to be tweaked and improved after they've been built.

Will this still be possible if doors can no longer be destroyed, and a Contraption is used to hide rooms instead?

I agree. It is not only about hiding rooms, but also being able to adjust your building layout.

Profile Email
Trex
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I also agree with the above two people. I liked the prospect of being able to adjust the layout of my dwelling if I decided it needed to be done.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

I agree. It is not only about hiding rooms, but also being able to adjust your building layout.

Quote by: Trex

I also agree with the above two people. I liked the prospect of being able to adjust the layout of my dwelling if I decided it needed to be done.

Forthed. Please don't get rid of door destruction. Or, if you must, how about making it a construction action instead - Brick Up Doorway, costing the same as building a door in the first place? That would still have the "Oh, hmm, I need to think about whether to do this or not" feeling, but have the same function of, when completed, deleting the door.

On another note, I am collecting a whole list of things that aren't bugs per se, but that could be improved. Hopefully-small tweaks that I think would make Places a lot more intuitive, fun and flexible to build and to use. Things like being able to close a Page without leaving the room or opening another Page, or showing which rooms the pages are attached to in the Decorate Page menu, or adding a Back To Entrance hotlink (maybe with a permanent hotkey, like for Back To World Map). Is it ok to spam them all into here, or should I shut up for once?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

Quote by: Trex

Quote by: Buddleia

Forthed. Please don't get rid of door destruction. Or, if you must, how about making it a construction action instead - Brick Up Doorway, costing the same as building a door in the first place? That would still have the "Oh, hmm, I need to think about whether to do this or not" feeling, but have the same function of, when completed, deleting the door.

Dang, Budd beat me to "fourthed" as I was writing it! Fifthed! I'd like an easier way to "move" rooms around than going in and changing their descriptions every time. That, in my opinion, was the most elegant part of the Doors system. Granted, I could see the potential for tons of rooms just hanging around in the ether with no doors to them... (I have one myself to store Contrivances until the Building Inventory allows them.)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Guys, guys, guys. D'you really think I'd take out such a useful function if I wasn't going to make a better and easier way of accomplishing the same thing?

(like with a door setting for "Hidden" or "Visible" via the Settings menu, and Contraptions to flip between the two modes...)

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Guys, guys, guys. D'you really think I'd take out such a useful function if I wasn't going to make a better and easier way of accomplishing the same thing?

(like with a door setting for "Hidden" or "Visible" via the Settings menu, and Contraptions to flip between the two modes...)

No, we just wanted to leap on you about it first. Mr. Green I humbly withdraw my complaint and eagerly await the next round of improvements!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

This isn't a bug but a suggestion, I'm not quite sure where to put it.

At the moment, doors go from somewhere to somewhere else. For a given room, there's two lists. "Explore Further" and "Return". Would it be possible to just have one list, "Exits"?

This is now a setting; you can set it to whatever you like. I'll update the test server soon.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 08:29 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Test server updated! No support for the last thing I said, just yet, but you can now edit the link text of your Doors. Smile

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

you can now edit the link text of your Doors. Smile

this, along with the support for interconnections/sideways doors ... really does rock quite hard. *very* nice feature, massively increases the scope for dwelling design.

Profile Email
Ilovemath224
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

There should be an option/contraption to change the link text to the page from different pages. But this is pretty good so far.
Now to finish up the in dwelling recreation of Basic Training.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like one-way doors.

Like a hole in the floor on one floor, and a hole in the ceiling on the floor beneath it? Logically, you could only go through the door once, but not back.

Probably best done via some contraption.. if you came here via room x, close door y.

That'd be a very powerful contraption. A must-have, I think.

Another example I can think of for that contraption:

if you came here via room x, display text y.

(You'll slide down the banister, rather than climbing the stairs.)
(You now recognize painting X as the land-lady.)
(You are certain that vase wasn't there before.)
(The innkeeper looks at you with tired eyes, wanting you to make up your mind already.)

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply