Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Places System: Current Progress
 |  Printable Version
Sonny
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 04:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Wohoo! This is gonna be awesome! Mr. Green

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....!!!

Almost not daring to ask... Will there be a feature for linking rooms, like different ways leading to the same room? And maybe deleting unwanted rooms? (Sorry, if I missed it in the list)

Even without it, it sounds like a huuuuge improvement!Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....!

Profile Email
Boudi
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just wondering, will there still be furniture, complete with stamina buffs? Would this be a separate 'page' or would the same structure as before still be in place?

ALSO, thank you so very, very much!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

We'll keep the old Slots concept alongside Pages - but they'll be easier to work with from a coding standpoint (items can belong to houses, now).

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

CAVEAT:

This is progressing nicely, now - I've got the basic getter and setter functions for a faster, more stable Places system underway.

However, here's the bad news. The current Dwellings in the game will likely not be compatible with the new system. It's looking like there's not going to be a reliable way to convert them over.

So, we'll handle the changeover like we handled the Dwellings Cataclysm - with a Stamina item giving free building actions for a day. Combined with new "build x5/x10/until exhausted/until the job's done" options, it shouldn't be too painful - and this'll give you a chance to reconfigure your Dwellings and rebuild them with the benefit of the awesome new things right from the start. Which is cool. Smile

This is probably gonna take about a month.

A couple questions, sorry to keep beating this to death: Things were less complicated last round of cataclysm. How will you determine how many supporter points to give back for lost secret rooms, because of the price drop? Along the same vein, how do you handle the custom furniture? A simple list of furniture won't suffice anymore.

Profile Email
AliceHeart
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 09:19 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The conditions... Time... Weather... Amount of visits....

The page system...

Cry

This... This is beautiful CMJ... You are a genius.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, June 10 2011 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Holy crap on toast YES! Laughing Out Loud

I can make use of every one of the currently planned Structure Programming outputs! Dispense Memento? More like "Here's your room key, sir!" Replace room description and lock doors based on current weather? More like, "Sorry, sir, the Tennis courts and Pool are closed until the storm passes." This is going to be so much fun!

Now....who's going to be the first to finish a simple playable game in their "Structure" with this system when it's released? Twisted Evil If only there was some random output generator in there....

....also means I should probably just keep my Rocket "under construction" in the meantime. *shrug*

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I really must say something here.

In addition to implementing the vast majority of your suggestions in Buddleia's thread, Currently there are two Big Differences between the new system and the current system that aren't detailed in that thread.

The first change is a third level of location precision.

Actually, this was detailed. Somewhat extensively. Pages strike me as either souped-up doors, or watered down rooms.

And, I'm going to state this openly. None of what I'm about to say is news if you've been paying attention - I've brought up ideas couple times and explained them in great detail because they weren't just ideas.

As mentioned, I'd originally suggested and started looking at building a Codeigniter version of a LotGD-style browser game back in October. Originally, this was had been planned to be an alternative to Season 3 being another borrowed codebase. Since it was initially designed to be II, much of it is designed to be similar. My land registry and text previewer were both dumbed-down code for that project originally. The response was almost non-existent. But I've come to learn that that's just the Labs. I've continued poking at it when I'm bored or really unhappy with how something works here. Apparently, spite is a powerful muse for me.
Things have moved about, and it's currently a bit of a mess (Still working out some kinks with the transitions) but it hasn't gone away.

If the number of links is too daunting here, the short version:
I am clearly stating that I am working on a system from scratch based on the idea of outmoding the engine on which II runs.

And yes, any time I've expressed displeasure with the community here (You know what I mean) and stated that I was going "back to work," this was what I meant.

All that being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Structure system finished. For the... Three people who've seen the interior of my dwelling, it's almost entirely designed for this system. It's a single-room shack with over 100 rooms in it. Of these, only two are actually places you can go. And one is locked, only there for flavour. Everything else is a description of an object in the room. You can actually shuffle through the drawers on my tool box.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 01:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I have some questions:
Should I start saving all my room descriptions?
Should I stop working on the Golf Course?
I don't have money, so can I thank you with a sacrifice?
If so, will my landlord count?

If I run out of time to finish fixing the tent after the switch, will I be able to get another kit to finish it?
Will this change reset the action rankings for building and material gathering?

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Will we have rudimentary HP stats? (I suppose I should wait until I can play with existing triggers.) Twisted Evil Idea

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 02:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Since there's going to be a cataclysm style new start, then this ties rather neatly in with this thread here, wherin is discussed abandoned dwellings and what to do about them.

In particular, what's going to happen to all the great buildings that we'd like to keep, but whose owner has departed? Maybe we could organise some work gangs between us to get the work done or something?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow, seems abandoned dwellings were originally brought up over a year ago, too.

Nice thing about perusing old threads is seeing that many ideas have been hashed and rehashed several times.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Beeps

I really must say something here.

In addition to implementing the vast majority of your suggestions in Buddleia's thread, Currently there are two Big Differences between the new system and the current system that aren't detailed in that thread.

The first change is a third level of location precision.

Actually, this was detailed. Somewhat extensively. Pages strike me as either souped-up doors, or watered down rooms.

And, I'm going to state this openly. None of what I'm about to say is news if you've been paying attention - I've brought up ideas couple times and explained them in great detail because they weren't just ideas.

As mentioned, I'd originally suggested and started looking at building a Codeigniter version of a LotGD-style browser game back in October. Originally, this was had been planned to be an alternative to Season 3 being another borrowed codebase. Since it was initially designed to be II, much of it is designed to be similar. My land registry and text previewer were both dumbed-down code for that project originally. The response was almost non-existent. But I've come to learn that that's just the Labs. I've continued poking at it when I'm bored or really unhappy with how something works here. Apparently, spite is a powerful muse for me.
Things have moved about, and it's currently a bit of a mess (Still working out some kinks with the transitions) but it hasn't gone away.

If the number of links is too daunting here, the short version:
I am clearly stating that I am working on a system from scratch based on the idea of outmoding the engine on which II runs.

And yes, any time I've expressed displeasure with the community here (You know what I mean) and stated that I was going "back to work," this was what I meant.

All that being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Structure system finished. For the... Three people who've seen the interior of my dwelling, it's almost entirely designed for this system. It's a single-room shack with over 100 rooms in it. Of these, only two are actually places you can go. And one is locked, only there for flavour. Everything else is a description of an object in the room. You can actually shuffle through the drawers on my tool box.

I know, mate. I dig exactly what you're doing, but I really, seriously don't have the time necessary to have the Very Long Conversations we'd need to have in order to go with a new engine, especially one I don't already know inside-out. I'm learning a few things about myself from the Labs experiment that suggest this ain't the sort of project (and I'm not the sort of programmer) that can benefit much from an idea like Labs, and that's why the new programming-building-blocks thing for Places (formerly Structures!) will replace Labs.

Yup. Frown The actual announcement will come fairly soon, and I'll likely leave the site up in read-only mode, but there are better places to discuss LotGD development.

I mean, come on - you saw how long it took me to get around to implementing your fixes, and the fixes to those fixes. Do I strike you as the kind of guy who can run something like Labs?

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Nah, that's totally understandable. Generally, this was just something I felt should be mentioned - Especially since I've been working "with" the II team recently - And, should it actually get to a point of completeness, I didn't want it to be some sort of nasty surprise.

Handling a community for code that has as much control over a player as the base engine is hardly a simple task, and I recognize this. You'd need someone intimately familiar with the LotGD engine and your own modifications, that you could trust with upload access and had a solid idea of what your vision of the Island is dedicated to handling a community like that. Every module would have to be read over carefully, tested extensively for balance issues, so on and so on and so on... It's a daunting task. I'm sad to hear that it'll be going away, but the truth is that there also wasn't a lot going on there. It was a damnably dead forum. If I could make a request, I would like to see some form of final word on the few modules still waiting for feedback.

As for Structures/Mementos... That's just a personal pride thing. You spend a lot of effort planning out and describing a system and when something really, really similar pops up shortly after, it's hard not to get jealous when people start applauding the other person. (Sounds like an after-school special or something.)

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Since there's going to be a cataclysm style new start, then this ties rather neatly in with this thread here, wherin is discussed abandoned dwellings and what to do about them.

In particular, what's going to happen to all the great buildings that we'd like to keep, but whose owner has departed? Maybe we could organise some work gangs between us to get the work done or something?

I am not convinced that manual conversion is the only option. What's the obstacle? What part can't be implemented, and why not? Why can't there be a tool that will do a partial conversion of at least the basic tree-structure of current rooms and descriptions?

What can't be converted? Custom furniture? No, we're still going to have the equivalent of slots that will offer stamina boosts. Secret rooms? Okay, they might not have a real equivalent; they might have to go back to being ordinary rooms -- but with all the fancy new facilities we're going to have, in a lot of cases that might be perfectly fine.

It seems to me that owners should be able to choose. One size doesn't fit all. Some owners will be delighted to start over, planning anew! For others, even an imperfect conversion tool that only copies over whatever can be copied would be a godsend.

If such a tool exists, I will use it to preserve places like The Abandoned Waystation.

...though, lacking it, I will still preserve them. It'll take me longer.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 04:57 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Well, I can honestly say that I didn't pinch the idea, 'cause... *guilty look left and right* I kinda tl:dr'd that post. Razz

Profile Email Website
Laser Towel
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Will there be an option to link Dwellings?

Dent

Profile Email
Swede
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 10:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love this. Now I can finally get the Watch HQ seem more alive.
Igor in the basement greeting you.
CMOT Dibbler following you around, trying to sell his genuine pork products. Smile

A few questions:

Quote by: dizzyizzy

A couple questions, sorry to keep beating this to death: Things were less complicated last round of cataclysm. How will you determine how many supporter points to give back for lost secret rooms, because of the price drop? Along the same vein, how do you handle the custom furniture? A simple list of furniture won't suffice anymore.

This.
And how about keys? Are we going to have to send you e-mails again with the text dump to get cigs refunded?
Perhaps there is another option as getting a lot of e-mails requesting for cigs can't be too much fun?

Also will it be possible to link rooms in the new system?
Say for instance, a hallway leading to two changing rooms. One ladies, one gents which both lead back to the same swimming pool.

I'm exited by the possibilities.
Good luck to you CMJ.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Mods will be able to handle refunds manually if we don't have an automagical way of doing it.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

There won't be refunds. Things like soundproofing and secret-ifying will be turned into Items and given to the dwelling owner for re-use.

Profile Email Website
Darkmoon
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Wow. Just now reading this. Impressive array of improvements! If even half of those improvements are put into place, I see a good bit of editing in my future to take advantage of them! Thank you!

I can definitely use the new system to better work through my story arcs and base dwelling now. I'm sure my recent construction efforts won't be terribly inconvenienced by this, especially if given the ability to re-make the dwelling in a day. If not, well, it is just game after all Smile.

Very good luck wished to you, CMJ. I look forward to seeing what you can make of this...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply