Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Places System: Current Progress
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 04:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

There won't be refunds. Things like soundproofing and secret-ifying will be turned into Items and given to the dwelling owner for re-use.

That is a pretty bitchin' system. Big Grin Same for furniture?

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: dizzyizzy

That is a pretty bitchin' system. Big Grin Same for furniture?[/p]

Secret rooms when you sleep on furniture! Ceiling trapdoors only visible when you sleep on a bed!

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Iriana
 Saturday, June 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There won't be refunds. Things like soundproofing and secret-ifying will be turned into Items and given to the dwelling owner for re-use.

Now that is a clever idea!

I for one am looking forward to rebuilding, and to helping others rebuild (Dunbernarding oh lord). Building is fun! But if there is really no way to automate saving of dwellings, I'll be happy to help copy down the room descriptions from big dwellings or dwellings that have no owners anymore. Better than nothing, I guess?

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 12:48 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I am not convinced that manual conversion is the only option. What's the obstacle? What part can't be implemented, and why not? Why can't there be a tool that will do a partial conversion of at least the basic tree-structure of current rooms and descriptions?

What can't be converted? Custom furniture? No, we're still going to have the equivalent of slots that will offer stamina boosts. Secret rooms? Okay, they might not have a real equivalent; they might have to go back to being ordinary rooms -- but with all the fancy new facilities we're going to have, in a lot of cases that might be perfectly fine.

It seems to me that owners should be able to choose. One size doesn't fit all. Some owners will be delighted to start over, planning anew! For others, even an imperfect conversion tool that only copies over whatever can be copied would be a godsend.

If such a tool exists, I will use it to preserve places like The Abandoned Waystation.

...though, lacking it, I will still preserve them. It'll take me longer.

This.

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Iriana

I for one am looking forward to rebuilding, and to helping others rebuild (Dunbernarding oh lord). Building is fun! But if there is really no way to automate saving of dwellings, I'll be happy to help copy down the room descriptions from big dwellings or dwellings that have no owners anymore. Better than nothing, I guess?

I have a sixty plus room maze with endings... >_> If you'd like to do that for me, I'd be forever grateful. Foreverever...

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

Quote by: Iriana

I have a sixty plus room maze with endings... >_> If you'd like to do that for me, I'd be forever grateful. Foreverever...

The nice thing about this Island is that there will be people willing to help! Maybe we'll get a little volunteer team together. But yes, I'd love to--I've heard good things about your maze, and have been meaning to visit anyways.

That said, until we hear for sure whether or not there will be an easier way to get all the data out, it will be pointless to start doing all this by hand. But if it really turns out that there is no other option, then I will be the first to sign up to help save things like the Waystation and Thistlewhite whose owners have gone and left lovely places behind.

Profile Email
Swede
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

Well I've got a few dwellings which aren't too big, so I think I can use any leftover stamina to help you Skye.
Or others, like bingo hall or the Monsterous Moonshine Mansions

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

First, some statistics. As of last night, we had 814 dwellings. That includes 68 empty plots, 156 one-room dwellings, 112 with two rooms, 93 with three rooms. Those numbers add up to 429, so over half of the dwellings are pretty simple.

There's also a very long tail. 31 dwellings have more than 50 rooms. Nine of them have over 100 rooms. Dunbernarding, at 342 rooms and counting, is almost large enough to have its own gravity! ... and even if you take the Bingo Hall out of the mix, the average number of rooms is 9.2 rooms per building.

One size does not fit all.

I think owners should be given a choice. Something like this...

Option 1: "No, please, there's too much! (Or I don't have the time to deal this right now! Or some other reason.) Anyway, I like my place the way it is. Just copy it over as is, the best you can, give me the secret-ifying items and stuff, then I'll add back in anything you couldn't get, maybe even throw in a few of those fancy touches, and we'll call it square."

Option 2: "Wow! Urban redevelopment here I come! I've been wanting to scrap everything and redo the place for ages. I have huge plans! Give me one of those god-like infinite-stamina-day gadgets for, hm... for... okay, let's say, one for each 50 rooms in my current dwelling, the items for soundproofing and secret rooms and such, and a readable record of what I've got now, and just let me at 'em!"

Option 3: "This is all very exciting, and yes, I'd like to rebuild from scratch -- but I want to take it slow. Do a bit, think about it, do a bit more, explore the full potential. Give me Option 2, but I'd rather take my stamina bonus in builders' brews instead, so I can spread the work out."

If Option 1 is available, then I will be able to use it to preserve those abandoned but wonderful dwellings.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

For the... Three people who've seen the interior of my dwelling, it's almost entirely designed for this system. It's a single-room shack with over 100 rooms in it. Of these, only two are actually places you can go. And one is locked, only there for flavour. Everything else is a description of an object in the room. You can actually shuffle through the drawers on my tool box.

Just noticed this. Beeps, it's entirely possible that rather more people have looked round your dwelling, if they don't leave any comments anywhere, in fact if they don't leave any comments in the first room (because, just how often do you look round every 'room' in your dwelling?) then you're not going to know.

I've vaguely thought about having a room off of the entry hall of the mansions, or in the new system a page, called "Guest Book" to encourage visitors to let me know. Haven't done it though.

Where is your dwelling? I'd like to have a look at it.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's because Beeps keeps it locked, lol. It's the billboard between IC and NH, if I'm not mistaken.

I like Sessine's idea of the options. I could totally use Option 2 since I only have a finite number of rooms, some of which will probably be replaced with Pages this time around.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah. It's close enough to NH that I've been paranoid about having slews of rookies hanging out in my dwelling, since there's no way to remove them in the current system. Until recently, most of the rooms were unfinished, as well. However, with it now having all but a few areas filled in, I think it's about ready to be opened up.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thing is, when CMJ says that it may not be possible, I believe him. I used to do a lot of coding, myself (years ago, mind, so I forget... almost everything) and while functions on the front-end may be fairly nigh-identical, there's a thousand ways to do everything. The coding on the back end will probably be completely different.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 08:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Thing is, when CMJ says that it may not be possible, I believe him. I used to do a lot of coding, myself (years ago, mind, so I forget... almost everything) and while functions on the front-end may be fairly nigh-identical, there's a thousand ways to do everything. The coding on the back end will probably be completely different.

True, but that doesn't mean there's no way to output the data in a format that can be read by another function that reads the data and puts it into the new system.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, June 12 2011 @ 10:42 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Beeps

Quote by: Matthew

True, but that doesn't mean there's no way to output the data in a format that can be read by another function that reads the data and puts it into the new system.

Indeed. I spent three decades, give or take, in the IT industry, and a good part of that was spent converting the data from "legacy" systems to work in the next shiny new one that was just being developed. Conversion processes are rarely straightforward, but in mainframe business systems they're not optional. An insurance company can't toss out its policyholders' records because it wants a fancy new billing system. If it were truly impossible to move the old data into the new system, that would pretty much always be a project-killer right there.

As a matter of fact, I cannot recall an instance when it was impossible. So I am having trouble figuring out what the problem might be, here, especially if it's the owner's choice whether or not to invoke it.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

We'll have some way of partially automating the transfer - but that's a long way off, yet.

Current dev status:
Tables designed. Independent tables for places, rooms, pages, settings of above, build jobs, doors, programs, userprefs.
Get and set functions done.
Programs will be made using metal and a new skill, page text using Decorating.
You can now take a land claim stake and put in in the map.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Doors are no longer linked to rooms. They cost 10 wood to make. The cost of making a room has been reduced to 60 wood to compensate. Doors have their own build job type. A door can link any two rooms together.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Room nav titles are stored separately from room titles...

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

using metal and a new skill

Big Grin

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm still sitting here drooling over this.

One small request, as well as handing out mementos, is it possible to take them back again? So you can require people to 'use' objects in various ways?

Profile Email
quinn
 Monday, June 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Doors are no longer linked to rooms. They cost 10 wood to make. The cost of making a room has been reduced to 60 wood to compensate. Doors have their own build job type. A door can link any two rooms together.

So, out of curiosity, for doors, since they can link any room together... will there be a way to customize them or make them tied to pages? Like a switch to a trapdoor or something like that?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply