Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Places System: Current Progress
 |  Printable Version
Maniak
 Monday, June 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What you describe already exists, keys can do exactly what you want and more.

Keys allow you to lock your dwelling, but the dwelling owner can give keys to whomever, allowing them entry. You can lock the entire dwelling, or lock certain parts of it.

I love the updates, keep em coming.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 21 2011 @ 05:27 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Update: I can now make Pages! Big Grin Working on decorating and handling them soon - maybe I should sort out the admin menu for each room/page/place...

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Tuesday, June 21 2011 @ 05:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just a heads up - Gmail seems to be marking forum notifications from here as spam. So if you, like me, thought that it's been rather quiet the last few days, check your spam folder.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, June 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Just a heads up - Gmail seems to be marking forum notifications from here as spam. So if you, like me, thought that it's been rather quiet the last few days, check your spam folder.

Confirmed. I saw that a few days ago in my account and fixed it right away. Thought it was just me, though, like maybe it had to do with the volume of e-mails I receive from the same source that I just read at a glance, click the link, and delete immediately?

I think I'm going to have to make a Twitter account if just to follow CMJ. So insightful!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, June 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Same with distractions for me.

Trowa, you don't need a Twitter account to actually see his tweets. Just hit the Twitter link at the top of every Island page and you'll see our beloved caveman ramble about cats, coding, and whatnot.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, June 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Trowa, you don't need a Twitter account to actually see his tweets. Just hit the Twitter link at the top of every Island page and you'll see our beloved caveman ramble about cats, coding, and whatnot.

Erm....yes? My statement was more of a subtle attempt to stay on topic... Confused

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Progress:

Beginning the Keybearer Menu. So far, rooms can have their chat areas toggled between single/dual/disabled...

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

So, here's how we're gonna handle obtaining metal and components with which to build Machines.

Folks who were around in S1 will remember the Scrapyard in CC404. I built a new Scrapyard to go with ScrapBots (still languishing in my "one day, when I make it more fun" drawer). I really, really dig the mechanic of rummaging around in a big pile of scrap, dragging out a whole load of shite that may or may not be useful someday, until you find the part you actually need.

Tying that into Places will make the mechanic a bit more social, 'cause by the time you've found the part you want, you've gotten a shitload of other irrelevant crap as well. One man's irrelevant crap is another's vital component, so you'll be able to go around to your mates' houses and give them the bits you don't need.

So, you'll buy a Scrapyard Day Pass (for ciggies or supporter points, I haven't figured out which yet) and then grab as much Scrap as you can carry. Some components will be ready to use, others may require assembly or repair before they work properly, with a higher "Tinkering" Stamina action level resulting in more frequent success.

This will be fun. Smile

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Progress: Keybearer menu done for Pages, with the following options:
Show/Hide Nav Link
Show/Hide Room Description when Page Description is shown

Next, I should probably sort out a key system, since my permissions checking functions all just return true right now. But honestly I'm more tempted to do the Slots and Items stuff. Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Makiwa
 Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Not being here first time around for scrapbots but this sounds totally amazing.

I want to say awesome but that word doesn't quite cover it - instead I'll settle for a phrase 'panting with the excitement of anticipation'

Nope, doesn't quite cut it either.

Hot diggidy doo dang day!

Ooh, that feels better. Mr. Green

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I just had a thought about conversion to the Places system. Conversion has been worrying me. Instead of shaking all of the buildings up, all at once, all over the Island, and then trying to deal with the fallout all at once... do the conversion as planned, yes. Create the shaken-up versions, that's important.

But: also have a 'useold' setting for the new Places. As part of the conversion, set this to True. When the 'useold' setting is True, people walking into the dwelling from the map will be shunted over to the old Dwelling. It will work exactly as it did before.

Create a 'now I'm ready!' function , which will show up in an old Dwelling for the owner -- and will work in any Dwelling for someone appointed as a dwelling-admin (can we make that a module_pref, please?). This function will simply turn that setting to False, thus making the new Place the one that people walk into.

What this will do:

1. It will keep the trains running until I have time to make a Trains system that will work in Places. The current Trains, as written now, will shatter so bad... a million tiny shards. We need some sort of stopgap to get us through.

2. It will let owners rework their dwellings after they have their plans ready, and the real-world time to plunge into the job. This will result in better Places and happier owners.

3. It will let me get a work-list of Places that have not yet been moved over, so that I can run around when I get the time, converting abandoned Dwellings and bringing them over into the new system -- without having the urgency to do both that and re-writing Trains as emergency panic jobs.

Profile Email
Sonny
 Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yay! Thanks for all the work you are putting into this! Big Grin

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 09:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Small request. The `c tag for centre justification doesn't work in dwellings anymore. It won't let you enter this. It stopped working at the same time that the different typefaces were removed, so I'm guessing it was part of that. Was this because it screws something up? If not, would it be possible to have that back?

I said before that what I really needed was imagination. Well all this new dwelling stuff has been truly inspirational, and I've been putting a lot of my spare time into writing a dwelling full of puzzles. What has been especially helpful is the way I keep thinking 'I wonder if there's some way I can do this', then going and looking at your ToDo list and finding something that does exactly this. I'm really enjoying this new dwellings module, and it hasn't even arrived yet. Big Grin

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, June 24 2011 @ 04:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

So, you'll buy a Scrapyard Day Pass (for ciggies or supporter points, I haven't figured out which yet) and then grab as much Scrap as you can carry.

Cigs. Scrap seems like a big and non-extra part of the new system that loads of people can take part in. It's not like Secret Rooms or Title Changes.

Also, the thing about the "Day Pass" system is that we already use it for many things, and because of it, some of us play in the style where we'll have Low-Stam days where we do fighting and High-Stam days where we load up on Energy Drinks/Steaks/Other Stam Bonuses in order to benefit the most from that single day. It is an interesting result of the system and it's not necessarily bad. I actually like it, in fact. But what if we changed it up here so we didn't have yet another thing to "prepare" a day for?

What if instead, you simply spent a Cig that allowed you to take out 1 backpack's worth of junk or 10 backpacks' worth of scrap? Then the thing you prepare is your backpack rather than your stamina. And you can spend lots of Cigs, because I need more things to spend these Cigs on.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred
Cigs.

Seconded, cigs for scrapyard day-pass please. I don't want people who don't have that much SP to feel left out of an entire new mechanic that, as you said, would also bring in a bit more community feel.

I'm fine with having scrap collected the same as Wood and Stone. Grab a kit (or in this case a pass) for a day, spend a shit ton of stamina digging around through things that are too rusty just to load your backpack up with bits of metal. (Because let's be honest, finding something valuable or working in a rusted scrap heap sometimes takes as much time and effort as chopping a tree. For those who have actually gone to a scrapyard and done this, y'know what I'm talking about.)

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Nonners
 Monday, June 27 2011 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ok.. Sorry, I know this has been talked about profusely, but I read the entire thread and am still a bit confused. Confused I'm rather new to the whole building thing. My dwelling has maybe.... 35 rooms, perhaps. With the switch... Would they all be demolished automatically so I have to start from scratch? Or would I have to demolish rooms myself so I can start over with the new system? Or, from a more recent post, will they stay there, but just be hanging in space until I build doors between them...? Quite frankly, any of those options is fine with me, I'd just like to know if I need to copy and paste all my descriptions to a text file.

Also, I agree the scrapyard stuff should be cigs. It sounds so fun! I'm super excited!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

We'll figure out the final transition details when we have a system to transition to.

Current status:

The core of the system is almost complete. Current extra features:
* All build jobs on one page, with x5/x10/xetc links.
* Doors, with which you can build Rooms in circles if that's what tickles yer fancy.
* Pages, with all that that entails.
* Single/Dual/Disabled chat options per room.

Things that need sorting before it works like the old core system:
* Keys
* Sleep Slots

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sleep Slots

Speaking of, I've been meaning to ask: will we be able to take beds out of sleep spots to go run them over to Cadfael's?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

Sleep Slots

Speaking of, I've been meaning to ask: will we be able to take beds out of sleep spots to go run them over to Cadfael's?

Pick 'em up, move 'em around, whatever. They remain Items even after being placed in the Room, now.

Progress: New Slots table, easiest way to do it, this is great coding music. Search for the video on YouTube, it's a good 'un.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Progress: Working on the Places Inventory system and Slots system, now.

All the hot girls, put your hands up and say "Om Shanti Om..."

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply