Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Places System: Current Progress
 |  Printable Version
Makiwa
 Tuesday, July 12 2011 @ 03:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Therefore, there's a simple choice. Either we run both systems in parallel for a while, with the option to switch dwellings one at a time from old to new. Or...

No trains, for maybe quite a long time.

What with my carbuncles? No Trains?? Noooooooo...

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, July 13 2011 @ 12:21 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Confused

IMO, Trains would benefit from some downtime to reconsider their impact on the Island -- even their current iteration seems unbalanced to me, and they're a major contributor to how we got to a state of imbalance in the first place. Players (and power players especially) have been very spoiled.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, July 13 2011 @ 01:31 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Zolotisty

Confused

IMO, Trains would benefit from some downtime to reconsider their impact on the Island -- even their current iteration seems unbalanced to me, and they're a major contributor to how we got to a state of imbalance in the first place. Players (and power players especially) have been very spoiled.

This should be another thread; let's keep this one for talking about Places. I'll start up a topic.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, July 15 2011 @ 10:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sudden thought: will we be able... to put sleeping spots in Pages?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, July 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

Sudden thought: will we be able... to put sleeping spots in Pages?

Nope! Mr. Green

Okay, back from England, continuing stuff with Dwellings, what's the next thing I have to OH GOD IT'S KEYS ISN'T IT. Frown

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, July 19 2011 @ 10:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well darn, there goes that idea...

Also, what is so horrible about keys?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, July 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Listening to this. Not a Bollywood song this time, honest.

Alternate John Williams Says it Best...

But back on topic, I agree that I'd rather have the option to leave a current dwelling until the owner is ready to fix it...I don't get a whole lot of time to play, and I'd like to do it on my own time, rather than being forced into it when I don't have time...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 27 2011 @ 05:07 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, the creation of new Keys is done. Now, the locking and unlocking of doors...

...it's really daunting how much there is left to do. Frown

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, door locking and keys pretty much done. Now, to make a start on the programming system.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 07:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah! The big bad boring bit that you weren't looking forward to is done. Big Grin

I already massively appreciate the effort that you're putting into this and can't wait. I've been (slowly) writing a whole rather large new dwelling to take advantage of all this, and I've been putting possible new rooms for an old dwelling (the Moonshine Mansions) on hold to wait for it. I know that I'm not the only one.

Just letting you know.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 06:02 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Currently working on the lib files for CONTRAPTIONS and CONTRIVANCES. Smile

Profile Email Website
Laser Towel
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Yeah! The big bad boring bit that you weren't looking forward to is done. Big Grin

I already massively appreciate the effort that you're putting into this and can't wait. I've been (slowly) writing a whole rather large new dwelling to take advantage of all this, and I've been putting possible new rooms for an old dwelling (the Moonshine Mansions) on hold to wait for it. I know that I'm not the only one.

Just letting you know.

I've put my dwelling construction on hold for the time being as well, and am eagerly anticipating the new system. CMJ, you've really got me excited over this one! I literally cannot wait...

... but I will, patiently. Also, payday is coming up and then I can afford moar Island stuff (hopefully). Sucks being poor.

Question: would it be possible to add parameters to rooms and dwellings, such as a Monster function that you can add to allow certain areas of a dwelling to act as map tiles or Jungle? They'd be fundamentally no different, except that by toggling the "Monsters Are Here" parameter, you would make it possible for visitors (or even yourself) to be attacked by monsters in said locations.

Example: A 'room' in a dwelling is a cave system, or abandoned factory, or dungeon, or copse, a place where one might normally expect to find monsters, so you toggle on the "Monsters Are Here" parameter for added whatever. I can't word properly at the moment, my brain has the dumb... but I'm sure someone will know what I mean.

Dent

Profile Email
Trex
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just a quick question on secret rooms and the like and I apologise if I have managed to miss a previous post that has already answered my question, I have looked but may have misread a vital sentence that answers this:

If I have 2 Rooms, A and B for instance and A and B are connected I can make the connection/door between them a secret one, in the Dwellings System, Room A would be visible from Room B. In the Places System would it be hidden from both rooms A and B?

I can work around this by introducing Room C, where Room A has a secret door to Room C and Room B has a secret door to Room C as well. But I was wondering if I would need to buy 2 secret doors and build an extra room to create a secret passage between 2 otherwise accessible rooms.

Profile Email
ByteKing
 Monday, August 01 2011 @ 09:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Soooo looking forward to this... Just had to write a thanks and a keep it up. Truly wish I had time to help... damn RL. Rolling Eyes

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 04:26 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Trex

Just a quick question on secret rooms and the like and I apologise if I have managed to miss a previous post that has already answered my question, I have looked but may have misread a vital sentence that answers this:

If I have 2 Rooms, A and B for instance and A and B are connected I can make the connection/door between them a secret one, in the Dwellings System, Room A would be visible from Room B. In the Places System would it be hidden from both rooms A and B?

I can work around this by introducing Room C, where Room A has a secret door to Room C and Room B has a secret door to Room C as well. But I was wondering if I would need to buy 2 secret doors and build an extra room to create a secret passage between 2 otherwise accessible rooms.

Well, basically to make secret rooms in the new system, you'd make two rooms and not connect them with a door. Then, you'd go into the Contraptions and Contrivances menu (which is currently underway) and set up a machine that moves the player to the secret room when a key phrase is entered.

(oh yeah - Secret Rooms won't cost Supporter Points anymore!)

Profile Email Website
Boudi
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 05:04 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

So, secret rooms will be reimbursed? Or simply lost?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 06:56 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Um... neither?

Profile Email Website
Boudi
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 07:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

No, no. The ones that supporter points were spent on, which will disappear in the remake. Those will be lost, I'm guessing?

Secret rooms were described as become 'items' later, to be used once the dwelling system has been rewritten, with this new way of secret-ifying (Which is awesome, don't get me wrong, I love it), they'll simply be-- lost?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 07:30 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You'll get the materials you need to recover them, and their descriptions, and it's up to you to decide if you want to stick with them the way they are or if you want to rejigger them.

In the new system, a Secret Room is basically a Room without a door, or with the door hidden, so you can set any trigger event you like using Contraptions and Contrivances. They needn't be triggered by a code word alone - a Memento could open them up, or having enough hitpoints, or having gone and done something else in the dwelling. So when we convert over, you'll get all your Rooms back, including descriptions, but without Doors, and you can arrange 'em as you see fit. You'll have to decide how you want your secret rooms to be accessed.

There's no special treatment for Secret rooms in the new system - everything's just a Room. In fact, all Rooms start off Secret because they start without Doors. Razz

This will all make sense when you get your hands on the interface, I promise...

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 07:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think the question is, to put it a bit more bluntly: what about the points we spent on secret rooms before? Tough shit, I guess?

Not complaining- we were paying for the privilege before it became outdated. It's not like we're suddenly not getting our money's worth anymore, I'd think.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply