Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Reasons for traveling
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, November 04 2008 @ 10:04 PM UTC (Read 2039 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A few people have mentioned that it might be nice to have more reason for traveling by foot through the map. No idea who or where, there's a lot of posts to look through. However no-one's come up with any good ideas for how to achieve this. Neither have I come to that, but I've had a couple of ideas. Not good ones, but maybe enough to inspire someone else.

I) Occasionally Dan's quests aren't in a city jungle square, but on a random square on the island.
Bad points - It'd have to be possible to look for a fight anywhere at all, not just in city jungles, so I imagine hospital tents would have to be moved into cities.
- The quests can be enough of a pain in the arse as it is, having to go to Pleasantville for ages on end, it would get worse if they were miles from anywhere.

II) Have fixed places miles from anywhere, which are 'The Tat Mutant's Lair' or 'The Magpie's Nest' or even 'Thieving Midget Bastard's Secret Hideout' (OK not that secret if the whole island knows about it) If anyone travels there, then they can guarantee meeting the appropriate baddy. Once a fight has been won, then they've got to get back to civilisation (or what passes for this on this island) before going again so they can't just go once and rack up oodles of experience. Coming back could be done by teleport, but going can't.

Profile Email
Deadmeat
 Tuesday, November 04 2008 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I) Occasionally Dan's quests aren't in a city jungle square, but on a random square on the island.

Oh, dear God, please NO!
Not without having something like a "Quest Item Detector" that would at least give you a vector to the target, or a guarantee that when you got to the map square, you'd actually find the item, rather than have to wait for it to turn up. Ugh! Razz

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 04 2008 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

This is something I've wanted to do for a while, albeit not with quests.

It shouldn't be too hard to add some functionality to the World Map module to trigger another module if the player's position moduleprefs coincide with a set of modulesettings. Like a travelling healer, or something. The X and Y coordinates could then be altered (+1, 0 or -1) per system newday, so that the trigger point moves around.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Karzan
 Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 12:05 AM UTC  

After posting in the development thread i was thinking about the travel system. To be honest, one of the things that so puts me off to walking travel is the relatively large amount of minor nuisances i have to endure to do it. I move three spaces and encounter something and forget where i'm going, and then have to check the world map in my pocket and then go back to the travel map and move three spaces and forget where i'm going or forget the exact route i'm taking or forget whether the optimal route is two spaces to the left or to the right and go back to my pocket and check the world map again and then go back to the travel map and start heading in the correct direction and then discovering what i thought was sand was actually mountain and having to check the world map again and then return to the travel map, over and over ad infinitum. And of course even if i remember perfectly where i'm going and what direction i should be going in, if i run into anything the travel map is pushed to the bottom of the page, forcing me to scroll down to find it - which i grant isn't an extreme problem, but after running into several encounters in a row, it begins to be... grating.

I'm no programmer, nor have i had any programming experience, so i'm not sure about how easy or difficult it would be to do, but what would be the chances of, once acquiring the world map, having a "go to" feature? I'm thinking something along the lines of, once going to the world map, having the choice to choose a spot on the map - which doesn't have to be a town or city - and deciding to go there. The game would automatically calculate the optimal path, only stopping you when a behind the scene roll dictated a random encounter. After being stopped by a random encounter, you could maybe choose to continue to your original destination or stop where you are.

I dunno. I'd definitely travel more if it wasn't such a hassle. At the very least i'd ask that you make it so that the travel map is at the top of the page after random encounters resolve.

Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply