Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 CavemanJoe is giving up smoking.
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 05:28 AM UTC (Read 11158 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

This thread is half to keep track of my experiences, and half to FUCKING WARN YOU THAT IF YOU PISS ME OFF EVEN A LITTLE BIT IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS I WILL NOT JUST BAN YOU BUT DRIVE TO YOUR HOUSE AND MURDER YOU IN THE FUCKING FACE.

...ahem. Oops!

So! I've given up smoking and turned instead of using a wee machine called an E-cigarette, for want of a better name. (seriously the terminology involved with these things is lame as hell) It's basically a cigarette-shaped rechargeable battery with an atomizer and some nicotine. Looks like a cigarette, and you breathe vapour infused with nicotine and a God-awful "tobacco flavour" which tastes... not at all like smoking an actual cigarette, but it tastes like a pack of cigarettes smells when you first open it (if you open it next to a burning tyre). The tip even glows a pretty cool pinkish-red colour when you suck on it (hur hur hur).

I'm still getting my (albeit reduced) nicotine intake, but even as someone who rolled his own (rolling baccy contains far less of the nasty shit that pre-rolled cigarettes contain), there are still chemicals in tobacco that I'm addicted to, and the withdrawal is settling in nicely. Today I smoked two rollies then, on a whim, went "Fuck it, I'm giving up smoking and I'm going to VAPE instead! Except I won't say VAPE because it makes me sound like a fucking dork!" and then I went to my local extremely dodgy tobacconist and plonked down forty bucks on a pair of 502D model e-cigarettes of Dubious Origins. So far, I've only smoked one actual rollup since getting the e-fags - so that's three in a day, down from ten to fifteen. Here are the pros:

* I can smoke indoors. I smoked at the dinner table tonight and my housemates didn't give a rat's ass.
* It's cheaper than buying ciggies by the pack (probably not as cheap as rolling my own, mind).
* I can have, like, a couple of puffs and then put the cigarette down and it ain't no thing - I don't feel compelled to finish it.
* There are apparently flavoured cartridges I can put in this thing - chocolate, vanilla, grape, apple, orange and so on.
* I still have the rituals that make up a large part of the psychological component of addiction.
* Nicotine yay!

And the cons:

* I still can't use this totally harmless and odourless machine indoors in public because it looks too much like I'm smoking and some petty little arsehole will come along and snark at me until I BITE HIM AND GIVE HIM A DISEASE.
* It tastes like ass.
* Because it doesn't get shorter, it's hard to know when to stop smoking it.
* While some people will think it's kinda neat and gadgety, others will think "Look at that fucking gadget gargoyle."
* The manual was the most extraordinary Engrish I've encountered in my life. Each cartridge somkes around 150 mouths, eh? Jolly good, I'm sure I'll enjoy somking those mouths.
* I'm still going through withdrawal for the non-nicotine chemicals. THAT IS GOING VERY WELL THANKS FOR ASKING *TWITCH*
* I'm still ingesting nicotine. These things are about a thousand times safer than actual cigarettes, but let's not kid ourselves - nicotine is bad for you, even if you're not getting any of the other shite with it.

However... my sense of smell is already starting to heighten, and a tickling in my lungs tells me that I'll very shortly be having The Expulsion. That's what happens when a long-term smoker gives up - he hacks up all the shite that had gotten good and settled in there. Last time I gave up, which was about... six or seven years ago, I coughed up some pretty nasty shit and then felt great. And I'd been smoking for maybe four years?

So yeah, I'm expecting a black, tarry Lung Baby. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Wish me luck.

Profile Email Website
Syd Lexic
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 06:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Oh dear. Best of luck, definitely. I don't know from experience, as I only smoke pipe (no inhaling), but I'm told giving up tobacco is fantastically difficult. You have an entire Island behind you, surely.

Be sure to save whatever you cough up, though. Probably get enough req for a BANG grenade or two.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

People who quit smoking are heroes in my book.

I know that hellish withdrawal period well. I too was hand roller(!) I finally quite the oily rags 4 years ago (third attempt in oh, many years.). I also tried the e-fags but stopped because the only thing they did for me was give me a familiar cylinder to fiddle with. They taste pants, don't give enough smoke blowing satisfaction and you look like a twat smoking it.

I still smoke occasionally. A hookah pipe - my brand is double apple of silver fox. No crap in it, minuscule amounts of nicotine and even less tar and lots of smoke blowing pleasure.

Anyway, blah blah....

Behind you all the way Mr. Joe and wish you luck and hope your nearest and dearest take you with a pinch of salt over the next couple of weeks.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honest question here.

I grew up in a public school system that told students every day that smoking was terrible for you, so don't do it. We were shown pamphlets and powerpoints and given lectures about all the gunk in cigarettes and what happens to a person who smokes and their life expectancy and all that yada yada. Guest speakers with those electronic voiceboxes held to the whole in their throat, the whole nine yards.

Public school also tells students not to drink or have sex, but those 'lessons' don't really have much effect from what I've seen (although I did read an article saying that abstinence education is actually statistically working at reducing teenage sex, but that's another topic). The anti-smoking program though seems to really illustrate how bad smoking is, and most of my friends share my opinion that smoking is a rather disgusting habit and we'll probably never pick it up.

So my question is, what gets a person into smoking in the first place? What's the draw?

Or perhaps is it that I'm young and came out of a high school with a lot of smoking education, but back in the day people simply didn't know how badly it can affect a person for the worse and simply thought it was what the cool kids did?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You try it because you know that it'll kill you in the end, and you know that all the people smoking know that it'll kill 'em in the end - so it must be really, really good, right? Worth it, like booze or coffee?

(yeah, it ain't)

Day two.

Two cigarettes so far, because I've been trying to replace the knackered digitizer on my phone. Went about 20 micrometres too deep while separating the digitizer from the LCD panel, and now the panel is ruined. A four hundred dollar phone - the one thing I couldn't do without, the thing that when my laptop dies I say "Well, at least I can still do some work on my phone" - and it's lasted until it was exactly one month outside of warranty. It's too slim and fiddly, and I'm too clumsy. You bet your sweet ass I'm having a fag.

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Thursday, July 28 2011 @ 09:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Best o' luck with it CMJ.

By coincidence I had a similar thought about quitting this morning, after finishing a packet. Managed to postpone buying another packet for, oh, about 5 hours.

I'll be watching this thread with some interest. If it works for you in even the medium term I might try them new fangled e-smokes myself.

@Fred:

Why start smoking? I personally don't buy into the "education is prevention" stuff. I had my first smoke as a kid in the 1960's, and was a regular by the mid 70's. And we knew perfectly well that it was a killer back then. Anyone who says otherwise is a) making excuses, or b) running a law suit, or c) was living in a cave. The education has got much slicker, as has the tobacco marketing, so they've probably cancelled each other out, more or less.

I have a slightly different take on it to CMJ's "smokers know it will kill them so it must be good", but similar, in that I suspect that there is actually a 'death defying' appeal (to the young) about smoking. The young are (and always have been) indestructible, just ask them. Risk taking is it's own reward.

I am pleased that smoking rates are declining (in the 'West' at least). I am glad that laws are being passed to restrict my smoking in public places. I'm having a smoke as I write this.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There is probably a betting pool in Ace High goiong on right now about how long it'll take for CMJ to go completely fucking armageddon on our collective asses because someone got stuck in a badnav and won't stop sending petitions or something.

My personal ass is already looking for a hiding place, i can tell you that.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Reverb

There is probably a betting pool in Ace High going on right now about how long it'll take for CMJ to go completely fucking armageddon on our collective asses because someone got stuck in a badnav and won't stop sending petitions or something.

Hey, don't scare people like that. Petitions are mostly being handled by mods now, except donations-related glitches (and even a nicotine-deprived CMJ isn't going to be pissed off at someone trying to give him money), and bug reports which... I will tell you right now, unless they're gamebreakers... for the next two weeks or so we are going to be filing for later.

Anyhow. It's safe to report a badnav.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 02:57 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

End of the second day. Four cigarettes smoked today (from my usual 10-15, sometimes 20). About to start tinkering with Places.

Profile Email Website
Seammus
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 06:54 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

They do have blue ones now! BLUE GLOWY BITS!!!

The wise and knowledgeable man is sure of it. Even the fool knows it. The rich man wants it. The greatest of heroes fears it. Yet the lowliest of cowards wo

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Kindly keep your blue glowy bits out of this discussion, yes? I don't care how smokin' they are, it can't be healthy.

Oh yes ladies and gennelmen, iiiiiit's punnin' time!

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 03:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Poor CMJ... :: hits his e-fag ::

Yeah, they're shite, for all the reasons listed above and more. They're too light, too. I've been smoking for about a decade now, and nothing really compares to an actual factory-produced cigarette. This is sad, because factory-produced cigarettes are probably the worst thing Man has ever made.

I've tried pipes. I've tried bongs. I've tried electronic fags, I've tried hookahs, hand rolled, "smokeless", just about everything. Nothing compares. The one time I went more than a few days without smoking was because I was hospitalised for two weeks, and I picked it right back up as soon as I was released. I even smoked when I was bedridden for a month with bronchiopneumonia.

Well, I tried, anyway. It's pretty damn difficult.

At any rate, best of luck to you CMJ, and try not to replace it with something else that's potentially just as bad.

Dent

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 05:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dan.

You Can Do It.

I smoked for forty years.

Yes, forty (40) years.

I quit 2 years ago.

Because I wanted to.

You Can Do It.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Friday, July 29 2011 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Never heard of the electronic cigarette, though it does give me an idea for a new monster.

'You have encountered Electro-Fag which lunges at you with Tastes of Ass (And Sometimes Chocolate).'

But back on topic, good luck CMJ. We know you can do it.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Joey
 Saturday, July 30 2011 @ 11:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You quit at the same time as my sister, and you've been smoking for about the same time too. This will be... interesting.

My money's on CMJ lasting longest.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, July 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Serious advice here: try chewing gum. I've never had to battle a nicotine addiction myself, but I know several people who have, including my dad, and they tell me it really works wonders for the oral fixation.

Good luck! I hope it works out.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, July 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Serious advice here: try chewing gum. I've never had to battle a nicotine addiction myself, but I know several people who have, including my dad, and they tell me it really works wonders for the oral fixation.

Good luck! I hope it works out.

Additionally, it's the cheapest item in any store E-Boys

Profile Email
Anonymous: Licourtrix
 Saturday, July 30 2011 @ 05:10 PM UTC  

Good Luck! If you're on the prowl for a better tasting (and not likely to be mistaken for a real cig) electronic cigarette there's one called Blu, that has (supposedly) better flavors and the end glows bright blue. They also sell non-nicotine versions of their cartridges just for people who've given up smoking, because of nicotine, but don't really wanna give up smoking. Honestly, I'm tempted to buy one one day and replace the blue LED in it with a green one. Joker-ECig!

CavemanJoe
 Sunday, July 31 2011 @ 04:26 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The first ones I tried, in London a couple of weeks back, had a green LED. They were kinda cool.

Today I went almost the entire day without smoking - didn't even have one when I woke up, which is usually the one irreplaceable one. But I got to about eightish and then the batteries died in my e-fag. Frown

Cigarettes smoked today: 2, and it'll be 3 in a minute 'cause the e-fag is still charging.

Profile Email Website
Rob Anybody
 Sunday, July 31 2011 @ 02:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

You can do it!, I can already see a nice downward trend in the amount of consumed fags.
I havn't got any personal experience with stopping, mostly because I gave up on starting with smoking..
but it can be a nice incentive to put aside the req you'd normally spent on cigs, cause after a few weeks
you'll be able to get yourself a few Improbability bombs instead (at least where I live and the price of cigs is 90% tax)

Rob

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply