Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Double Beds
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM UTC (Read 4950 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

So, by the twisted logic of Improbable Island's game mechanics, sleeping with someone is a bigger commitment than marrying them.

When you sleep in a Double Bed with someone, you start off with a -25% Stamina penalty. Over time, the penalty becomes less and less, until it turns into a bonus, up to a massive +25%.

You might have seen on Twitter that I talked about making a new database table called "cuddles" - well, I didn't, and ended up using serialized arrays stored as moduleprefs instead. Moduleprefs have an upper limit to the number of characters they can hold, and after that, well... MySQL silently discards the data. We saw this with early versions of Dwellings, where people wrote far more elaborate Dwellings than I'd built the storage system for, and their Dwellings suddenly disappeared.

So, I checked how much data each array could hold. Long story short:

IMPORTANT
DO NOT SLEEP WITH MORE THAN 14,360 PEOPLE MORE THAN 1,000 TIMES EACH.

Profile Email Website
Georgia Ellis
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: CavemanJoe

IMPORTANT
DO NOT SLEEP WITH MORE THAN 14,360 PEOPLE MORE THAN 1,000 TIMES EACH.

I am sure that some people might actually try to reach that limit like dunbernarding did with their word count when the dwellings first came about...

Still, really neat. I also like the gradual penalty to bonus.

Profile Email
Mercury
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Georgia+Ellis

I am sure that some people might actually try to reach that limit like dunbernarding did with their word count when the dwellings first came about...

Still, really neat. I also like the gradual penalty to bonus.

^ Seconded. Next thing we know, we'll be seeing that cap being upped, too!

This seems like a good idea to me, and realistic too! Will the module take into account one person hogging all the blankets and pillows?

Now I just need to find someone willing to share a bed with somebody like Mercury. T'would have to be a brave soul indeed!

Profile Email
Georgia Ellis
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 08:07 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Mercury

Now I just need to find someone willing to share a bed with somebody like Mercury. T'would have to be a brave soul indeed!

Good luck.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 08:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: MercuryWill the module take into account one person hogging all the blankets and pillows? [/p]

Actually, yes it does. That and snoring.

Double Beds are now live on the Test Server, if you wanna check 'em out. Smile They come with a mini equivalent of a Soundproof Room. Wink

Profile Email Website
Wongo the Sane
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Will the bonus disappear gradually over time or will it hang around?
Ie: is it likely to be a problem if you don't make it home every night or will it just reduce the rate at which the problem disappears?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

Will the bonus disappear gradually over time or will it hang around?
Ie: is it likely to be a problem if you don't make it home every night or will it just reduce the rate at which the problem disappears?

No, the bonus applies every time you sleep in a Double Bed with the person with whom you earned the bonus. You do have to sleep with them rather a lot to get the bonus, so it'd be kinda mean to make it go away.

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Saturday, August 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait, that raises a question. What if we trigger chronospheres? I mean, one player can get a thousand days with the other player just having less than a hundred that way. Doesn't make sense to me, but does it work?

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Geth
 Wednesday, August 31 2011 @ 12:39 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I wonder how long this would take... let's find out. I'm assuming double beds can admit only two, yes? Assuming that's the case, you can sleep with 6 people per day, or 12 if you buy the maximum number of new days.

14,360,000/12 = 1,196,666.667 days, /365 = 3,278.5 years.

I don't think we need to worry about people breaking this one.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe double beds don't cap at two. If that's the case...

14,360,000/365 = 39,342.47

That is the number of people you would have to sleep with (once each) per day to make this limit in one year. Assuming you can wait five years, the number drops to 7,868.49

There are as of now 1,489 players listed in the Hall of Fame. I will assume this is the complete player list. So...

14,360,000/(1,489*12) = 803, /365 = 2.2

If you slept with the entire Island twelve times per day, you could reach this limit in just over two years.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Geth

If you slept with the entire Island twelve times per day, you could reach this limit in just over two years.

I know people who could do this. Or would try to, anyway.

Thank you.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 10 2011 @ 04:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, when do we get these on the main server?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 10 2011 @ 08:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

So, when do we get these on the main server?

Right, now that those're there, Dev got up before me and I got the 12% bonus instead of the 25% hit. Does it still count towards me getting to the 25% bonus? Does this mean only one of us can play at a time if we want the bonus? Can that be fixed?

Profile Email
Alex MacMillan
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 06:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I experienced the same thing as Dizzy. Is it the person who gets up first who gets the hit.

And the chronospheres question is still valid. If your spouse (or bedpartner) is still in bed and you share it with them for however many newdays, how does that affect the count.

(Also the stam loss message is hilarious.)

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 08:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

From my experiences with the double beds, everyone has a counter, hidden, of how many times they've slept with a single other player. This is only their counter; for example, I can sleep with a character and get only a -15% penalty, but the other is getting a -25%. That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Couldn't it be made so that one character waking up counts towards both people's progress, and just make that progress half as quick to account for that?

For example, currently:

Person A gets up
Person B is still in bed
Person A gets one progress count towards sleeping with Person B
Person B gets nothing
Need to 'wake up' with that person also in the bed 100 times (I don't know the actual amount, this is only an example) to get the 25% bonus

My suggestion:
Person A gets up
Person B is still in bed
Person A gets one progress count towards sleeping with Person B
Person B also gets one progress count towards sleeping with Person A
Each player needs 200 progress to get the 25% bonus, which would get gotten in the same amount of time assuming both play at all regularly.

Profile Email
Alex MacMillan
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 08:13 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

That doesn't explain why I'm getting the 12% while my bed partner is getting the -25%, though.

And does that mean it's not going towards my sleeping-with counter?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Alex+MacMillan

That doesn't explain why I'm getting the 12% while my bed partner is getting the -25%, though.

And does that mean it's not going towards my sleeping-with counter?

Your bed parter is logging out properly and using chronos. You're using natural newdays. Natural newdays don't work properly with double beds.

Profile Email
Alex MacMillan
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 08:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Except I just logged in and got the -25%, and I believe he got the negative from natural newdays too.

Overall, seems like there's a few things that need to be worked out with how it works.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.44 seconds
New Topic Post Reply