Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Soundproofing: Useful, or could we do that better?
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM UTC (Read 2687 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

So, the whole Soundproofing thing. Does that work okay, or would it be better to just have a locked Room along with a Contraption that clears the Room's chatspace (for example, when a given commentary command is entered)?

It accomplishes the same end goal of letting people have private conversations without having to keep the Room locked for a week (or until someone with an appropriate key can go in and clear the logs), and it gets around the number-of-participants limit imposed by the current soundproofing method.

Any thoughts?

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 11:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If I may be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely certain we need something like soundproofing at all. I can only think of very few applications for such a thing and they're all quite unsavory.

Profile Email
Swede
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

If I may be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely certain we need something like soundproofing at all. I can only think of very few applications for such a thing and they're all quite unsavory.

That probably says a lot about you Wink

On topic:
The clearing of comments doesn't work as well as soundproofing.
Deleted coments can still be recoverd by an 'Export Commentary to HTML'
Unless that has been fixed in the last period.

Profile Email
Boudi
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm with Mattie, here. I'm not saying that folks shouldn't do romantic activities on the Island, but soundproofing is usually for secrets or things the narrator is ashamed of. Things that could hurt others or the like. Having a locked room is good enough for anything you might not want public.

I do like the soundproofing on beds, though! Locking a bed just sounds silly. Could be accomplished with locking the room where the bed is, though.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 06:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think it has less to do with being ashamed of yourself than it does with the rules explicitly stating if your sexy romps are found, you will be publicly mocked and ridiculed. I've seen it happen. Rules are rules. Mr. Green

I have to agree with Swede; the current system of deleting comments doesn't work very well for a mass quantity. Soundproof rooms seem to work well. At least, they work better. I've also started noticing that deleting comments is having odd effects lately. The other night I deleted some OOC comments in my dwelling, and now the checkboxes don't disappear.

BUT. Going back to the original question: A Contraption that could clear a room's chatspace would be incredible! I think that would be a lot handier than the current deletion system and even better than soundproofing! Granted, if someone figured out the secret passphrase, they might be able to use it maliciously, but the nice thing about it being a contraption means you can set some contrivances in front of it (i.e. "Has Memento X", or "Memory = Y", or maybe in the future "Holds Z-type of Key" ) And since Programs can be changed without cost (for now?), you can change the parameters and passphrase at will.

Now, having said all that, I also see the need to delete specific lines now and then... (i.e. write out a response to someone and enter it, grab a hot pocket, come back two minutes later only to realize they GREM'd their post for a typo, and now the whole order is off.) So I'm still in favor of holding onto the current system if the kinks are ironed out.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The kinks should be gone now; I was experimenting with a more efficient datacaching system for commentary, but it fucked a few too many things up.

And yeah, there's a big difference between being ashamed of something and just not wanting the whole world and his wife to see it.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 26 2011 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

More data...

There are only 28 Rooms on the whole Island with soundproofing purchased. Contrast that with over three hundred Secret Rooms; Soundproofing is not a hugely popular feature. We should probably tinker with it to make it better, more useful.

I smell a new thread coming up for how we're gonna deal with Secret Rooms...

Profile Email Website
AliceHeart
 Saturday, August 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I personally think Soundproofed rooms are extremely useful, I wouldn't like to see them removed.

Here's an example of what I'm doing with a Soundproofed room to get a few minds out of the gutter:

I'm running a story arc where people interact in said soundproofed room. I don't want people reading the echoes because everyone goes in one at a time and it would spoil surprises for the narrators to read previous posts.

Mass GREMing is usually either buggy, tedious or simply troublesome, and like Swede noted, deleted comments can be retrieved by Exporting Commentary to HTML (And yes, people are this nosy).

A soundproofed room fixes up all this.

I could personally care less what people decide to do with their Soundproofed rooms, I just think its a very useful mechanic.

The Contraption idea still sounds nice though...

Profile Email
Swede
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: AliceHeart

Mass GREMing is usually either buggy, tedious or simply troublesome, and like Swede noted, deleted comments can be retrieved by Exporting Commentary to HTML (And yes, people are this nosy).

Hey! Angry

I prefer the term interested in other peoples writing Mr. Green

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Swede

Quote by: Matthew

That probably says a lot about you Wink

On topic:
The clearing of comments doesn't work as well as soundproofing.
Deleted coments can still be recoverd by an 'Export Commentary to HTML'
Unless that has been fixed in the last period.

Fixed that bug as of a few minutes ago. Smile

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Monday, September 05 2011 @ 06:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That is great!
Yes then soundproofing can be disgarded.
It would be useful to have a button which allows you to select all comments on the page in one click

ehm... just small side note
Does the fix also involve people with masterkeys not being able to read deleted comments of conversations they weren't part off?
If not it isn't something which needs fixing, but it is a difference between deleting and soundproofing.

Anyway, great CMJ.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.94 seconds
New Topic Post Reply