Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 A couple of hopeful requests.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM UTC (Read 7953 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two things that I'd really like. No idea how easy or hard these are, if they're ridiculously hard, then apologies.

1) If you go to a page via a link from a room, you (the builder) can set a preference as to whether you want to show just the page text, or the text of the room that the page comes off. If on the other hand you go to a page via a cont. then there's no such choice. You will get the text of the room from which you've just come.

Would it be possible to have the option of showing the room text or not in the case of a cont. sending you to a page as well?

2)With memories, a lot of the things that people are going to want to remember are going to be two-valued. Secret door open or not. Puzzle solved or not. It's a bit of a waste using a memory for just one such boolean value, it's possible to fit many such booleans into one memory. Write the number in the memory in binary, use the n'th place in the binary to store. Standard trick. Except I don't think that there's a way we can do it at the moment, certainly not without a lot of fiddling.

Would it be possible to have contraptions to set, or unset, the n'th place in the boolean expansions, and contrivances to check it? That would make memories a lot more useful.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Two things that I'd really like. No idea how easy or hard these are, if they're ridiculously hard, then apologies.

1) If you go to a page via a link from a room, you (the builder) can set a preference as to whether you want to show just the page text, or the text of the room that the page comes off. If on the other hand you go to a page via a cont. then there's no such choice. You will get the text of the room from which you've just come.

Would it be possible to have the option of showing the room text or not in the case of a cont. sending you to a page as well?

2)With memories, a lot of the things that people are going to want to remember are going to be two-valued. Secret door open or not. Puzzle solved or not. It's a bit of a waste using a memory for just one such boolean value, it's possible to fit many such booleans into one memory. Write the number in the memory in binary, use the n'th place in the binary to store. Standard trick. Except I don't think that there's a way we can do it at the moment, certainly not without a lot of fiddling.

Would it be possible to have contraptions to set, or unset, the n'th place in the boolean expansions, and contrivances to check it? That would make memories a lot more useful.

We're gonna have a few more Contrivances and Contraptions, and I daresay we'll think of more as we get used to them. One of those will be a "Hide Room Description" Contraption.

Binary memories are certainly do-able - in fact, we might want to do two types, toggle and count.

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 06:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Toggle/Count sounds perfect.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 08:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, so if we make Memories able to store a number between 0 and 999,999, then that could mean that a Memory could count up to one shy of a million; or, it could mean that it could count to nine six times. A Contrivance that just checked the 1-6'th digit would do everything we need to make this work, since we can already increment or decrement by 1, 10, 100, 1,000, or 10,000 at a time via the existing Memory Increment Contraption.

This means I make six times less money out of Memories. :-/

(I guess I could make it a really rare Contrivance)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It could mean that you make more money instead, if somebody would have liked six different memories, but thought that paying out six times was too much and scrapped the whole idea, now they get a memory instead.

In my case, I was originally ideally hoping, for one (particularly memory intensive) part, to have 22 different 3-valued memories. I was never going to pay out for 22 different memories, but four is feasible.

I've been living like a spartan these last few weeks saving up here, you'll get a few squid from me at least.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 08:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

To add a request for a feature I think'd be fantastic to have is multi-titled rooms depending on whether you're exploring, in the room, or returning. I have some rooms in my dwelling titled by an action rather than what the room is, such as "Head up the ladder". Would it be possible in Places to make that (head up the ladder) the title to click when exploring deeper, and have a different title, such as "The Living Room", when a player is physically in the room, AND have a possibly different action title for when a player is returning to the entrance from further through the building, such as either still "The Living Room" (because the IIsland character might remember which room it is) or "Exit the staircase"? I think this would be more fun to have for the exploration of Places instead of already knowing what room you're stepping into without having been in the place.

Also, as an add-on, perhaps if a player has already explored a dwelling, he or she might "remember" as a character, that they've already been into the Place, and therefore the exploratory action titles might be replaced by the name of the room; they remember which room they're entering.

I'm also really good at run-on sentences, if you can't tell.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 09:16 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

It appears as though I may have lied. Such a feature may already exist, and I'm toying with it s'mmore

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

HaHAAAA! You can have ALL OF THOSE THINGS! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 11:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'll be in my corner, now.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, September 03 2011 @ 01:16 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Chimental

How long are we gonna do this meme? Isn't there, like, a statute of limitations where if you don't update your blog for half a year 'cause you're writing a book, that means you don't get to be a meme anymore?

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Saturday, September 03 2011 @ 02:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

How long are we gonna do this meme? Isn't there, like, a statute of limitations where if you don't update your blog for half a year 'cause you're writing a book, that means you don't get to be a meme anymore?

Memes are forever,
They are all I need to please me,
They can stupify and tease me,
They won't leave in the night,
I've no fear that they might desert me.
Memes are forever,
One it's made they catalogue it,
Tweet it, link it and reblog it,
I'll see it for years to come,
Nothing lurks in the shadows to hurt me. (cept Shadowlurker)

Surprising, didn't have to change the lyrics much.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Saturday, September 03 2011 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hey! I figured it out! I'm a winner!

Though to still be a bit of a newb, I can't figure out if its even possible or not, or how to do it with contraptions and contrivances (since I'm terrible at working them), but will it be possible to change a room's description with the weather or time of day? Also, will the trading of contraptions and contrivances be available?

This entire thing though, is AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for all the hard work you've put into it already, and keep it up!

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, September 03 2011 @ 08:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Saturday, September 03 2011 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Mogar

...I can't figure out if its even possible or not, or how to do it with contraptions and contrivances (since I'm terrible at working them), but will it be possible to change a room's description with the weather or time of day?...

I think you'll be able to do this for weather at least, by setting up different pages in the room in question, each one with a different description (to reflect the various weather conditions). You'll then need to create a program that:
- checks the weather (there's a contrivance already to do this)
- shows the appropriate page (there's a contraption for "show page" which displays the description for whatever page you point it to)

You might have to make a program for each page separately, or you might be able to combine it all in one program for the room as a whole - not sure, haven't tried this one yet!

Time-of-day would be a very handy contrivance, though (i'm thinking *tides* ohyes). And trading of Cs and Cs likewise - would take some of the pain out of finding all those items you'll never want to use, and might lead to more collaboration on dwellings.

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 09:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Is it possible that we could have, instead of a memory-chip that stores one value from 0-999,999, have a memory chip that has six* "addressees" in it that hold 0-9 with, say, addressess 0x4 and 0x5 being building-persistent instead of player-persistent? (Or instead of instead of, one of each type? ...that made sense, right...?)

Actually, optimally I'd like to see four different types of memory: Player-single, Player-six*, Dwelling-single, Dwelling-six*.

The problem I have with memory right now is that I'd love to use it, but I'm not going to have much use for a Player-single, even if we do get a contrivance that can read individual digits: the only things I'd use memory for are things that I want to affect all players: things like whether there's a fire burning, or a door is open, etc etc. And if I can only think of two or three superficial uses for a memory chip, I'm not going to buy one, especially at eight dollars a pop.

*six not a necessary number, I'm just using that for comparison: I'd even settle for as few as 3 slots at the current price.

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 10:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Out of the edit timespan, but thought of something else:

While I'm at it, is it possible that we could get "miniboards", that couldn't be expanded and were only 1x2, for simple if-then statements, maybe at the cost of 5 for 100 points? I know that there are endless situations I'd use these in that I really wouldn't want to spend a dollar per on for a full board, but would gladly buy packs of like candy.

Tasty, zappy candy.

Profile Email
Weezle
 Wednesday, September 07 2011 @ 11:19 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this, but I was fiddling about on the Places test server and I was wondering if there might be some way to hide a Page's text after opening it, short of exiting and re-entering the room? If not, it'd be nice if clicking the link for a given page a second time hid the text. There's my two cents worth!

Profile Email
Fox Kelfonne
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 01:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Is there a contraption at all to post something in Story / Banter?
If not, could there be?
The pie stand has always sort of had an NPC there running things, and with the contrivance to check text commands, I could actually have an NPC deliver ordered pies and whatnot to the counter.
I do realize this would somewhat step on Special Comments a bit.

Also, are there any plans to have some sort of way to rework contraptions and contrivances and whatnot? I spend my cigs, burn my stamina, and load up on items from the scrapyard, but it's always a bit disappointing when I'm looking for that one piece to build something awesome, and can't get it due to sheer bad luck.

I've already loaded up on SP to buy some cig packs for now, but it would just be nice if there were a way to say, turn in 5-10 contraptions / contrivances, and have them turned into the one you're looking for. Maybe some crazy robot pawn broker that grinds them all up and spits out a shiny new one for you? Even could have the rarer ones take more parts to build than the simple ones, but it's just not fun to spend a whole day's stamina and 10 cigs to get say a "Check Text Entered" and end up with a bag full of "Is Player Zombie?"

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, so if we make Memories able to store a number between 0 and 999,999, then that could mean that a Memory could count up to one shy of a million; or, it could mean that it could count to nine six times. A Contrivance that just checked the 1-6'th digit would do everything we need to make this work, since we can already increment or decrement by 1, 10, 100, 1,000, or 10,000 at a time via the existing Memory Increment Contraption.

This means I make six times less money out of Memories. :-/

(I guess I could make it a really rare Contrivance)

Actually, speaking of something like this, would it be possible to buy "Dwelling flags" or something similar? I'll explain what I want to be able to do. Haven't really played much with the beta server so I don't know what's already possible and what isn't:

There's a room in Hendrix with a device that has a dial and a switch. The dial can be set to "Sunrise", "Daytime", "Evening", and "Nighttime". The switch can be set to "Magic" and "More Magic"

The dial, obviously, sets the time of day. The switch switches (gasp!) between displaying an aurora (magic) and a neverending fireworks display (more magic)

I know I can make pages that when you set the dial, it'll hide the room description and replace it with a description showing the time of day the dial is set to. I can also set a page that you flip the switch to "more magic" and there's fireworks. I'd like to combine the two, and even change other rooms in the place to reflect these settings.

To do that, the simplest (not the most ideal, but simplest) would be to, on that particular room, have a base description with nothing special, or display one of several (hidden) pages depending on flags set, and have 6 pages, 4 of which would be setting the dial (clear other time-related flags, and flip on the new flag) and the other two would be "flip switch to X" which would either set or clear the "More magic" flag. These pages could of course be hidden if their particular flag is active. The room itself would have programs set to display the page related to the time of day and whether the fireworks or the aurora is active.
That would be really cool for just that room. But I have BIGGER PLANS!

There's another room. It's a beachfront. I'd like that room to change depending on the things set in the Fireworks Balcony room. So if the switch is on "More Magic" and "Nighttime" then the room has a nighttime description, and there's fireworks off in the background. Etc. for other combinations. (In some sort of unrelated note, why the hell does my spellcheck know "Combination" but not "Combinations"?)

I know it would probably mean making tons of hidden pages and making sure all the programs work for each page/room, and would be delicate work on my part, but I WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN AND WOULD GLADLY GIVE YOU MONEYS TO HAVE THIS AVAILABLE.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I realize it's a bit late for a request/suggestion, but could be possibly get the option to lump the explore/return links all under one heading?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply