Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Place Admin Interface
 |  Printable Version
calliaphone
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 04:47 PM UTC (Read 2009 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

1) Job Creation - add Page
Would be helpful if we could see names and IDs of existing Pages for each Room in the list. Would remove risk of duplication without having to either visit Room to check what's already there, or make copious scribbled notes from Room&Page Settings.

2) Job Creation - list of jobs - build Room
When you've finished building a new Room, you need to be able to go back to the Room you were in. Current nav-links (which are a bit inconvenient) are:
- Materials: Show Place Inventory
- Leave: Back to the Map.

Building a Door or a Page doesn't have this problem - you can return to the Room you were in.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I tarted up the interface a bit this afternoon. Smile

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Wednesday, August 31 2011 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It is probably already on your list, but if not:
Sort buttons/links for the Building Inventory.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 31 2011 @ 07:18 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Added to the list, low priority.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 07:15 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

In Place Settings, separating nav headers by higher and lower roomids, by default, will lead to a lot of needless confusion.

True, if the owner never, ever, ever creates a door leading on to an unexplored room that happens to have been created early, this will more or less work. All the same, it is guaranteed to backfire. Often. For pretty much every dwelling that makes use of the great flexibility provided by the new Doors. Better not to separate the links at all, than to separate them by a criterion that won't match a player's experience. I foresee a lot of petitions from owners who don't understand why their Place navigation seems to be all mixed up.

Ah, well, that's all taken care of? The owner can name both headers the same, and then they'll all go into the same menu? Yes, but there's no hint to the owner that they need to do this if they've done anything even slightly out of order.

Set up the headers to be identical by default, I'd suggest, with something neutral like "Move Around." If they want to change this, the text on the Change page can make it clear that they should only give these different values to get two separate sections if they haven't connected any rooms in an order different from the order in which they were made.

Result: far fewer confused players -- and owners -- and a Place system that doesn't look as if it's always getting things wrong.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 07:30 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Better interface? Replace the "higher or lower roomid" sensor with one that simply looks at the last Room the player was in.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 08:03 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Better interface? Replace the "higher or lower roomid" sensor with one that simply looks at the last Room the player was in.

Yes... that would let people go back one room. Though then, of course, the Return link would be the room they'd just left, and they could shuttle back and forth between the two as many times as they liked, until they got bored! Smile

To let people grope their way back toward the entrance along the path they'd come, as the current 'enterfrom' scheme permits, would require keeping an elastic room-path history, deleting from it whenever people Returned, and adding to it when they Explored. That might be complicated by circular layouts... altogether more trouble than I thought you'd want. However, if you did want to do it, I have a name for the feature: it should clearly be called the Ball of Yarn.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 08:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

it should clearly be called the Ball of Yarn.

Given the prevalence of kittymorphs, a trail of breadcrumbs might be slightly more reliable. Wink

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 09:04 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yes... that would let people go back one room. Though then, of course, the Return link would be the room they'd just left, and they could shuttle back and forth between the two as many times as they liked, until they got bored! Smile

To let people grope their way back toward the entrance along the path they'd come, as the current 'enterfrom' scheme permits, would require keeping an elastic room-path history, deleting from it whenever people Returned, and adding to it when they Explored. That might be complicated by circular layouts... altogether more trouble than I thought you'd want. However, if you did want to do it, I have a name for the feature: it should clearly be called the Ball of Yarn.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

I think "the string of fairy-lights" would be a better name, given the propensity of said to tangle themselves into a horrible awkward mess the moment you take your eyes off them. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

I think "the string of fairy-lights" would be a better name, given the propensity of said to tangle themselves into a horrible awkward mess the moment you take your eyes off them. Mr. Green

This must be why most text adventure games don't even try to offer a Return option. They list off the movement options currently available, and let the player take care of remembering where he or she came from.

Putting them all in one list is not so bad.

Or... maybe there could be a way to let people specify the link header when they specify the door name. That way, owners could sort exits from a room into sections the way buildings in an outpost are organized by quarter.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This must be why most text adventure games don't even try to offer a Return option. They list off the movement options currently available, and let the player take care of remembering where he or she came from.

Putting them all in one list is not so bad. That's how outposts work, after all.

i found that adopting a naming-convention for doors was helpful, because i was going for circular layouts in a big way. i keep the links all under one list, labelled "Travel", and always start the name with the direction of travel (North, South, NE, SW, Up, Down, et cetera).

that way, if you've just selected an exit to the north, it's not too hard to remember that you need to go south to return.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.99 seconds
New Topic Post Reply