Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 Adding Mementos, and always-on Contraptions
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 12:46 AM UTC (Read 3396 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have right now in the upper left-hand corner of my grid, a contrivance that checks for a memento, and to the immediate right, a contraption that gives them the memento if they don't have it.

Firstly, am I doing this at all correctly? I want to make it so that it gives the player a memento if they don't have one.

Secondly, how do I get the mementos out of my inventory and into the building's?

Next, I want to make a page always have the trees background under any circumstances. I put the contraption for that in the upper-left-hand corner. Nothing happened. What else do I need to do?

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 11:03 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Secondly, how do I get the mementos out of my inventory and into the building's?

• If you're standing inside your Place, in any room, you should see a link called Donate.
  • Click on that to get to your Building Inventory. It will display "your items" (building-related stuff that's in your inventory) at the top, and "this dwelling's items" (whatever's in the Building Inventory) underneath.
  • In your items, click on "give one" or "give all" under any item to add it to the building's inventory.
  • Likewise, pick them up again by clicking "take one" or "take all" from the building inventory (you'll only be able to use items from your own inventory, when programming).

(I will have a tinker round with mementos and trees, see if i can figure out any answers for your other questions.)

EDIT re: trees ... i've set up a test program in one of my rooms, with the tree-shadow contraption and the page-lighter contraption, both on the top row of the grid. when entering the room, the page definitely gets lighter, but the trees don't show. according to the debugger, both contraptions are checked when the program runs. sooo... i'm thinking it's possibly a bug with the tree-shadows contraption?

now for mementos. may take me a little longer to investigate this - will have to go make a memento Smile

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 11:37 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Okay, re: mementos, here's what I think you need to try:

1) Create a program
2) Put a "Player does not have memento" contrivance in Row1 Column 1 (top left)
3) Put a "Give memento" contraption in Row 2 Column 1 (middle left)

This way, the "Give memento" will only run if the "Player does not have memento" test passes.

The way you're currently doing it (contrivance in R1 C1 and contraption in R1 C2), the program will do the contrivance-test first, but if it fails it will still attempt to fire the contraption, and will give away the memento unless it doesn't have any left to give.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 02:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks for the help, but the memento doesn't seem to be showing in my inventory when I go to donate.

I'll fix that programming though, thanks for that.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 04:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As a workaround for not being able to donate mementos, I made a program in another room that took the memento I wanted to donate and hopped in and out of that room 'till the stock was full.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

you know, i think was half-asleep when i wrote you that response earlier. you're right, i don't think you can donate mementos like that, you have to make a program to take the mementos from you, like you just described. the instructions i gave only work for dontating building materials and contraptions/contrivances don't they. sorry for confusion!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 06:36 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Bugger! I forgot to add the setting to Mementos to allow them to be given to a Place.

(five "to"'s in a seventeen-word sentence, eh? Man, I need to write more, I'm losing the knack...)

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Bugger! I forgot to add the setting to Mementos to allow them to be given to a Place.

(five "to"'s in a seventeen-word sentence, eh? Man, I need to write more, I'm losing the knack...)

i'll overlook it if you'll overlook "dontating". otherwise i'll be forced to pretend it's a real word.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 01 2011 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Ah, but it is a real word. It means you're done tatin'. No more taters. Ever. Don't boil 'em, don't mash 'em, don't stick 'em in a stew. You wash yer hands of the 'ole thing.

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Friday, September 02 2011 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

but i like potatoes Frown

well. crisps. i like crisps.

i'm gonna eat them anyway. crisps are more important than integrity.

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Sunday, September 11 2011 @ 08:42 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: calliaphone

but i like potatoes Frown

well. crisps. i like crisps.

i'm gonna eat them anyway. crisps are more important than integrity.

Prefer Chips m'self.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Lain
 Saturday, October 20 2012 @ 02:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I can' t donate mementos to my inventory. Was this ever fixed?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 20 2012 @ 05:01 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Lain

I can't donate mementos to my inventory. Was this ever fixed?

It hadn't been, but it has now.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Saturday, October 20 2012 @ 05:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

I have right now in the upper left-hand corner of my grid, a contrivance that checks for a memento, and to the immediate right, a contraption that gives them the memento if they don't have it.

Firstly, am I doing this at all correctly? I want to make it so that it gives the player a memento if they don't have one.

Next, I want to make a page always have the trees background under any circumstances. I put the contraption for that in the upper-left-hand corner. Nothing happened. What else do I need to do?

Ya I always seperate the checks from the events.. it can also be done this way:

Put your Player Has Memento in the top left row.

Keep the knob at any fail((because then when it fails to see the memento it will go down to the next row now. Also you can nest the tree shadows in this program in the top left and just move the memento check one to the right and it should work.))

Then put the Give Memento to the left of the second row.

Then it just seems to work better that way and you can even have an event happen in the exit hatch for if they have the memento already you can show a page or anything else you might want to program...

And yes before CMJ just fixed it you had to use the take memento in a seduced room, over and over till you had the mementos needed for the give memento.

or you can do it with a pas knob with the player does not have memento either way works.. blarg I shouldn't try to post when tired

Oh how I wish you could access the C&C's in your building inventory from the programing pages though...

Profile Email
Lain
 Sunday, October 21 2012 @ 03:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Lain

I can't donate mementos to my inventory. Was this ever fixed?

It hadn't been, but it has now.

Thank you so much!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.16 seconds
New Topic Post Reply