Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 New Stat
 |  Printable Version
Fodder Kid
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 03:35 PM UTC (Read 1444 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

First and foremost, feel free to delete this post if it is something that would require a shitload of crazy coding to do so. Eek!

I've been kicking this idea around since I was first logged in.

Currently we have Attack, Defense, Charm, Vitality, Stamina (which isn't talked about much), Jungle Fights. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that most folks spend a lot Vitality, thru cigs, and use Improbability points on Attack, Defense, and Jungle fights. It seems that there is a limit as to how much Vitality and Charm a person can reasonably use.

What if we added a Luck stat or call it an Improbable Stat. This could increase the frequency of improbable events that happen to you, mega and power moves more common, quest monsters showing up, the possibilities are great. It would give the way higher ups something to use all of their ciggies on and maybe it could be something that you can spend Improbability points on. Heck make it something related to mood so it fluctuates daily.

Yet another thing to mill around,

Fodder Kid

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 03:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I have suspected for a while that -- for Jokers at least -- the Luck stat already exists, affects many aspects of the game, and varies wildly. You just aren't allowed to see it.

I do NOT want CMJ to confirm or deny this suspicion. Having it hidden, and not even being 100% sure it exists, is way cooler than having it be a visible number.

Profile Email
YurianStonebow
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 05:29 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There do be such a thing called "Ye Olde Random Number Generator." It be responsible for pretty much all the combat and the Improbable Encounters ye be encountering. Back where I used to be, we do had a love-hate relationship with it.

We loved ta hate it.

I suspect me mates still do.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 06:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Yes, but after you've played for a while, you start getting a sense of how much the random number generator will vary, and where the median is. I know humans are notoriously bad at intuitive statistical analysis (or gambling would not be so popular!) and there's such a thing as statistical runs, but Jokers (which I think are Dan's own invention) definitely have days when results in encounters are consistently at variance with their (randomly generated) visible stats. One senses the presence of a hidden thumb on the scale -- an additional randomly generated weighting factor -- that can sometimes be very favorable, and sometimes very unfavorable. And I think it also affects the chance of encountering Improbable Events when traveling.

As I said, I don't want anyone to tell me whether I've correctly guessed what Dan's done for that race.

He could have thrown it in for all races, and just kept the value fairly constant. You wouldn't be able to tell about small variations. I recently finished a run as a gobot, and didn't see anything that couldn't be explained by the normal random number generation. But with Jokers, the effect is big enough to be perceptible.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply