Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 IPod/iPhone App?
 |  Printable Version
Suziku
 Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 04:50 PM UTC (Read 5313 times)  
Forum Newbie

I know I can't be the only one who has thought about an Improbable Island App. I have an iPod touch, and I have trouble with the interface. The mobile friendly display is, I imagine, wonderful for anyone with a D-pad and an enter key; but it bunches every command all up together. I have small fingers, and I still find myself either having to zoom in to choose every command, or spend half my time on the Failboat because the big trouble search is a pixel away from the hospital tent. The only other problem would be the preposterous lag when trying to type in any chat channel, rendering me unable to talk until I find a computer.

If this is just me and my iPod, please let me know so I can stop whining over nothing. But if others have this problem, I would be willing to donate any time and knowledge I have (in addition to money if, by some miracle I ever have any to spare) to development of an Improbable Island App.

~They said I wouldn't spontaneously combust. Oh, how wrong they were.~

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 05:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not the hugest fan of the phone skins either, but I'm a bit luckier in that I have a keyboard and a direction pad. I've started using the terrible old native browser in my phone instead of Opera Mini, since the WAP browser has Javascript so I can use hotkeys. I'm not familiar at all with iThings, but is it possible you could use an onscreen keyboard to use the hotkeys intead of needing to tap the command? You've probably tried that already, but.

Profile Email
Suziku
 Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

No, if I could, it'd be just fine, save the chat lag. But, alas, iDevices don't let you use the keyboard unless there's a blank to be filled in... The little pet peeves I have over trying to play on the iPod go beyond that, but everything else I can live with. The navigation is a must-fix.

Profile Email
Devorah
 Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I was just saying something about this yesterday. It would be great to be able to use my iPod to play. As it stands, I have to zoom in on every single page to do anything, which can be very time consuming, so I don't usually bother.

Profile Email
Suziku
 Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 11:26 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Exactly! As much as I want Island on the go, I just can't enjoy it with all the zoomzoomzoom and wrongbuttonwrongbutton.

Profile Email
thryn
 Thursday, September 08 2011 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Dizzy and I were talking about this on Gchat a week or so ago, as it happens. Yeah, a more mobile-friendly site (which might not be a simple skin, but an m.improbableisland.com site or something that's actually configured a bit differently) would be amazing, as would an app. I'd pay up to $3 for an iDevice app without even thinking about it, and probably up to $5. But if the energy could be put into creating a better mobile site that would serve mobile users across platforms, it might be better spent.

For my part, I find I can grind without *too* much trouble on my iPhone, though there is a lot of zooming required and it's molasses-slow, but chat is basically pointless, with any robust Story interaction Right Out.

Profile Email
Suziku
 Thursday, September 08 2011 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I didn't think about a mobile site... That would work as well. And $3 is a no-brainer, if I can have my chat in realtime on the go. I still like having an app, but if the mobile site would work as well, it woyld just be a matter of what was easier for the design team.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, September 08 2011 @ 04:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've had a look at what its like to develop something for iThings. The answer: expensive. It costs $99/year to be able to develop anything. It is also DRM protected, whether the developer wants it or not, which goes against the Creative Commons license, which is what II is under. This makes it look like it will be unlikely that an iIsland will be developed.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 08 2011 @ 05:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

An Android app, some time in the future, is possible. A mobile-friendly skin that isn't optimized for styluses is more likely. I don't have an iThing to test with, nor do I want anything to do with the Apple market, so an iOS app is unlikely at this point. If I do get around to it one day, it'll be for unlocked devices only.

Profile Email Website
Suziku
 Thursday, September 08 2011 @ 06:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I forgot about Apple being all... Apple. And, of course, the Creative Commons. As it were, I'd kill for the mobile-friendly site. Anything I can do to help, just let me know! Well, besides the obvious giving of money, that'll happen as soon as I can put my hands on some that doesn't slip through my fingers.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 02:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

An Android app, some time in the future, is possible. A mobile-friendly skin that isn't optimized for styluses is more likely. I don't have an iThing to test with, nor do I want anything to do with the Apple market, so an iOS app is unlikely at this point. If I do get around to it one day, it'll be for unlocked devices only.

A better solution would be a web-based HTML5 app, a la The Financial Times. It would run on both android and iOS, while providing the seamless performance of a app store-style application.

Profile Email
thryn
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 05:58 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but in the past4-5 days, when I log on via my phone, I've gotten a much less pretty but easier to use mobile Island ...

Profile Email
Suziku
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Really? Mine seems to be the same...

Profile Email
Iriana
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: thryn

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but in the past4-5 days, when I log on via my phone, I've gotten a much less pretty but easier to use mobile Island ...

Oh, that sounds delightful, accidental or otherwise. Can you take screenshots on an iThing? I know there are applications for Nokia phones that do. How do you mean, less pretty but easier to use?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, September 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

Oh, that sounds delightful, accidental or otherwise. Can you take screenshots on an iThing? I know there are applications for Nokia phones that do. How do you mean, less pretty but easier to use?

To take a screenshot on an ithing, hold the home button and tap the power button. The screen will flash, and the screenshot will be in your pictures.

Profile Email
thryn
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Can't be arsed with the screenshot right now -- 'm at work -- but right quick: before, I was looking at the regular site, background, graphics and all, on my phone. Now I'm getting simple black text on white background, with basic blue links. Some of 'em are still a bit close together, but the accidental misclicks have been reduced.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Can't be arsed with the screenshot right now -- 'm at work -- but right quick: before, I was looking at the regular site, background, graphics and all, on my phone. Now I'm getting simple black text on white background, with basic blue links. Some of 'em are still a bit close together, but the accidental misclicks have been reduced.

You're on the accessible skin, sounds like. That one's meant for screen-readers, but if it works better, maybe I should try it out.

Profile Email
thryn
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 12:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: dizzyizzy

You're on the accessible skin, sounds like. That one's meant for screen-readers, but if it works better, maybe I should try it out.

Yeah, I figured later that when I'd loaded it on the iPhone I either accidentally selected the skin or it just magically chose it. Either way, it seems to be a little easier to use (though still far, far from ideal).

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.51 seconds
New Topic Post Reply