Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Eliminating Turns and Travel points
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Tobias
 Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 06:56 PM UTC  

short opinion - change is bad - current system i like - no changey. ^ω^

Epaphus
 Monday, January 05 2009 @ 04:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think the same thing about my underwear.

Woops!--Too much information again?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 05 2009 @ 05:04 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Definitely TMI.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 11:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Max+Dougwell

Don't forget that each weapon is already getting "special attacks" that can be used on occasion. I think that its impossible to do what you're suggesting Victoria, since it would require Dan to code new text for each of the 1,000 or so weapons in season two. Perhaps if the weapons were categorized into groupings like "fear", multi-purpose", "limb", "alive", "energy", "fueled" etc... then it could reduce that, but it's still unlikely.

by the way SicPuess, love the GirlGenius reference.

That's actually exactly what I was getting at. Saying that the fighting styles would be for a specific group of weapons rather than an individual weapon since it'd be a pain to have to even come up with ideas for say, three thousand fighting styles.

I mean, some groups would be larger than others anyway. Like firefighting with guns. Every single gun would have the same set of say, three styles.

Then every sword would have the same set, along with short blades and then blunt weapons. If each and every single weapon had different sets, not only would it make it overly complicated but that definitely wouldn't be possible.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Anonymous: Enada
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 08:32 AM UTC  

I'm one of those people that once I get used to something I get really mad when it changes, even when it changes for the better or makes things easier. But considering it will be a new season and everything will change, I don't really have a problem with it. I like the way scavenging is right now, but if you made it easier to scavenge I'd be one of those people spending days just scavenging (we'd still get to keep our scavenged stuff after the DK though, right?). Just don't make it too difficult for the players to understand... cuz we play games to get away from the things that make us think hard >.<

and on a side note, I had to try submitting this three times cuz I can't read the damnable CAPTCHA. Wanna make something better, get rid of that.

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 05:06 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

So. Basic mechanics of Stamina are now in place, and I'm just coming up with the proper values now. Requires some playtesting, I think.

I may open the Season Two test server up for initial playtesting and feedback some time over the next few days...

Anyway. Right now, as I see it, there are going to be five major updates for Season Two, in addition to the minor bugfixes and balancing acts.

1: Most immediately obvious - Stamina System replaces Turns and Travel points, and Scavenging as well.
2: Implants are now dynamic, each one working in an entirely different way.
3: Mounts system entirely rewritten. Each Mount will now have different characteristics for each terrain type, and I'm going to try to get at least forty Mounts available for purchase. Each Mount will also have add-ons available for purchase that will boost their stats.
4: Plot. Improbable Island will feature an overarching plot, and maybe even - gasp - an ending.
5: Secret Awesome Project.

So, yeah... Expect an invite to a rather buggy playtesting environment sometime soon.

Profile Email Website
Tor NaGoth
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm gonna break the old army rule, and volunteer now.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 06:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Tor+NaGoth

I'm gonna break the old army rule, and volunteer now.

:Turns round, "Oi, why have you lot taken a step backwar... Oh bugger..."

Profile Email
hajen
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 08:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

please sir may i have another serving of pain...i mean beta testing Twisted Evil

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 09:31 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Let me tidy some stuff up, and I'll try and open up the test server tonight.

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 10:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Test server? Did he really say test server? . . .quivers with excitement. . .

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 10:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Aye, but just testing the core Stamina system, y'hear? Everything's still really buggy and doesn't work quite right, but I reckon it's about time I showed you lot what I've been up to recently. Don't expect fireworks, dig what I'm saying?

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Improbabilist Hermein quickly packs a travel bag, making sure to stuff in as many fireworks as will fit.

I am sure that there will be enthusiastic feedback. So enthusiastic that you might want to tell us what parts you want feedback on (for example, just how Stamina works?) and what parts we should just quietly ignore. . .

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

*Performs the Stamina Dance* Can I try it? Pleeeease?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:12 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yeah, go on then. seasontwo.improbableisland.com.

I'll make a new thread for feedback.

Profile Email Website
Theo1
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 01:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Other questions that have come up:

Saved days just generate a new day. They won't have to be modified to work with Stamina, as the function to reset/replenish your Stamina points is in the newday hook anyway. You'll get your Stamina points back with a saved day just as you get your Turns and Travel back now.

Per round, not per fight:

The reason why I want to do it per round is so that we can have multiple styles of fighting, and reduce the Stamina costs for each of those individual styles. It gives us more flexibility to do more of this sort of thing, should we have more ideas for in-battle options. The new Implants are mostly operating on per-round stuff too, and I can definitely say that it makes combat more exciting.

However, I get your point that many players who are killing monsters with a single hit will get a much, much greater advantage.

So, we can compromise - we'll go for a smaller Stamina cost per round of fighting (the costs will still be there, so that we can build in some per-round mechanics of ideas we might have in the future), but we'll offset that with a Hunting ability (which is what gets triggered when you look for trouble). When I say "ability" I mean something that has all of its own Stamina stats to go with it - an action point cost, a reduction in action points for doing more of that action, and so on and so forth. So, for example, the more you look for Big Trouble, the lower your cost of looking for Big Trouble. Smile

it sounds like your gonna do this right ^^, i started reading the thread... i was skeptical, turns are solid and easily countable/interchangeable, but with enough tweaking this is a definite win for stamina in my book. i do have to agree with a higher cost for searching for a fight but a lower per round cost, after all, you want lower DK people to still get several fights out of a day even though it can take 2-3 times the rounds.... as well one wonders if perfect kills will still have some positive effect like a return on the cost to search for the fight but not the rounds? or perhaps an increased bonus to the overall cost reduction for future combats?

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Disgrunted Newbie
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 07:05 PM UTC  

Sadly I don't think I will be playing anymore then after S2 its hard enough to last with fights but if I have to have possibility of losing Permanent Hit points because It took way to long for me to finish a fight or the fact my stamina goes way down as it is when I am trying to level normally as it is now. This game was fun while it lasted for me and I liked it but sadly I don't dislike the way the stamina system would work.

Anonymous: Enada
 Monday, January 26 2009 @ 06:19 AM UTC  

The main annoyance I see with beta so far is, the banks won't give me interest. I've tried fighting to the point where I have almost no stamina, but it still says I haven't worked for it. oh, that and, uh, being brought back from the failboat and having 0% stamina (what's the point of fighting to get back?)
And we need ninja's! Who play golf!!!!

Bodoni
 Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 01:28 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Enada

The main annoyance I see with beta so far is, the banks won't give me interest. I've tried fighting to the point where I have almost no stamina, but it still says I haven't worked for it. oh, that and, uh, being brought back from the failboat and having 0% stamina (what's the point of fighting to get back?)
And we need ninja's! Who play golf!!!!

This is my main gripe as well. I'd like to have more info in the Stamina Details screen, too, like SOME indication of about how many turns I can still play.

I had some real problems the first couple of levels when I was a noob, because I wasn't in a clan, didn't have any buffs, and wasn't making enough money for the hospital tent AND getting equipment AND eating at the various eateries. (I found the New Pittsburgh eatery especially amusing). Once I traveled to Kittania, though, and took a couple of classes, I found that I was much better nourished.

Overall, I like the beta Season Two, but I think it still has room for a bit of improvement. I'd like to see classes in other skills, and I can't wait to build my own robot army.

Frankly, I think that ninjas are overused. I like unique races/classes for each game. I like gobots and midgets, for instance, in II.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.24 seconds
New Topic Post Reply