Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Places: Bug Reports
 |  Printable Version
Daedalus
 Thursday, September 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

Has anyone else been having difficulty with the Memories from the Programmer's Box? I placed one of them in my Place at (20,26) and named it "Reception", but the Memories list still said I hadn't defined any. So I tried it again, entered the same name, and the screen still said I had not defined any Memories.

Same problem, but with single Lodge purchase of Memory chip.

Took it to Place, kicked it off, named it, and it vanished. Can't find it anywhere.

I assumed that I had just buggered the process up, and wrote it off as a reminder that I'm completely incompetent in All Things Places. That may still be correct.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been on the Jackalope tonight, at it's grand opening party.
Several times all the chat disappeared and I got moved to the bottom of the page. Usually when I wasn't actually doing anything (just reading what was there.) It came back as soon as I clicked anything (refresh say) so no major problem. But strange behaviour anyway.

Also I tried to GREM a comment at one point, and it took me to a previously unknown secret room. Which was an excellent room, but not expected.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 11:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I've been on the Jackalope tonight, at it's grand opening party.
Several times all the chat disappeared and I got moved to the bottom of the page. Usually when I wasn't actually doing anything (just reading what was there.) It came back as soon as I clicked anything (refresh say) so no major problem. But strange behaviour anyway.

I think you go idle faster, now, which exhibits that same exact behavior (possibly a recent tweak to reduce server load), and it'll lock out the chat. For me, it takes two refreshes to get it back to normal.

Also I tried to GREM a comment at one point, and it took me to a previously unknown secret room. Which was an excellent room, but not expected.

Sounds like someone set up a partial command match with a warp to room. Laughing Out Loud I know Maniak was toying with that idea.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Strange, and quite disconcerting. Here's a couple of screen caps. What suddenly happens:

What was in the chat space:

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 09:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sounds like someone set up a partial command match with a warp to room. Laughing Out Loud I know Maniak was toying with that idea.

You bet. It's wonderful to see someone picking it up. Thank you for making my day, Genevieve. Because if I can't screw you lot over with a Supply Crate, I'll damn well think of other things I can do.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Trex
 Sunday, October 02 2011 @ 09:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Daedalus

Has anyone else been having difficulty with the Memories from the Programmer's Box? I placed one of them in my Place at (20,26) and named it "Reception", but the Memories list still said I hadn't defined any. So I tried it again, entered the same name, and the screen still said I had not defined any Memories.

Took it to Place, kicked it off, named it, and it vanished. Can't find it anywhere.

I assumed that I had just buggered the process up, and wrote it off as a reminder that I'm completely incompetent in All Things Places. That may still be correct.

D.

Would just like to report the same thing has now happened to me. I already had a memory in place and named, but when I came to add a second one, the item disappeared from my Lodge bag and no second memory appeared in my Place. Frown

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 02:13 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Type:
'Kick Players' list

Description:
Owner is offered the option to kick out players who are actually in a different Place.

Where encountered:
From the Petitions. Details and link to screenshot in petition # 6334, filed under Bug. Reported here in order to include the following additional, possibly useful, information in a location that won't vanish:

The Place where this occurred is placeid = 67. The Place where the players actually were is placeid = 677.

Edited to add:
Petition 6366 gives other examples. What's happening is that LIKE is picking up players whose locations include a partial match on placeid. Possibly all that's needed is to escape the metacharacter '_' with '\'. If that doesn't solve it, might have to winnow the list afterwards for an exact match on placeid.

Profile Email
Swede
 Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 04:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trex

Quote by: Daedalus

D.

Would just like to report the same thing has now happened to me. I already had a memory in place and named, but when I came to add a second one, the item disappeared from my Lodge bag and no second memory appeared in my Place. Frown

Same with mine Programmer's Selection Box. Placed a memory and it disappeared.
Seeing this has been happening for a while now I also put in a petition.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, October 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I, uh... I appear to have made two doors between the same pair of rooms?

Shouldn't there be a way of stopping people doing that? At the very least, have the Current Build Jobs list actually say which rooms the New Door is linking so that if you're setting a dozen doors at a time you don't get too confused as to which ones you have set and which ones you haven't?

(I can just imagine the error message now, something like "You've already got a door there, genius. But hey, if you want to waste your materials and stamina and so on duplicating it, that's your problem. Continue yes/no?")

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, October 25 2011 @ 10:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Tree shadows (and, I believe raindrop graphics) that are used in programs in pages don't show up if the page is reached via another program. Is this intentional?

I've been trying to use the raindrop graphics in a pool in the mansions. 'Heavy rain' if you go down the wet slide into it, and 'light rain' if you climb down into it. So the main room and a page that you get directed to if you came from the appropriate previous room. I appear to just get 'heavy rain' regardless of which way I come in.

The big thing that this is going to mess up is the weather systems. I thought that you could just build one such system in a private room (private by being hidden, off a locked room, or whatever) and then in each room that you wanted to use it, have a contraption to show your weather page. But this won't work.

Then I thought, OK, you have a whole weather room with a weather system in it with a room coming off it (both decorated blankly) and then have contraptions point to this. But that doesn't work either.

As far as I can tell, you have to build an entire system, with all the grids and C&Cs that that entails, in every room that you want weather. That's a little excessive for anybody with more than one or two such rooms. Surely nobody but the most hardened of masochists is going to do that.

Am I missing something here?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Shouldn't there be a way of stopping people doing that? At the very least, have the Current Build Jobs list actually say which rooms the New Door is linking so that if you're setting a dozen doors at a time you don't get too confused as to which ones you have set and which ones you haven't?

(I can just imagine the error message now, something like "You've already got a door there, genius. But hey, if you want to waste your materials and stamina and so on duplicating it, that's your problem. Continue yes/no?")

Big Grin I just found that this bug has been fixed. The Create New Door thing just told me "error: door already exists" when I attempted to duplicate a door.

I'd still be happy if the Current Build Jobs menu would display which rooms the set doors would be linking ...

... oh, and I just found that if you set a new door between two unlinked rooms, and then set another identical door before that build job is completed, you can still duplicate doors.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 01:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Big Grin I just found that this bug has been fixed. The Create New Door thing just told me "error: door already exists" when I attempted to duplicate a door.

I'd still be happy if the Current Build Jobs menu would display which rooms the set doors would be linking ...

... oh, and I just found that if you set a new door between two unlinked rooms, and then set another identical door before that build job is completed, you can still duplicate doors.

I suspect that that was what happened in the first place. I `ithought`i that it had told me off for trying to build a door between two rooms that already had one. I might still be wrong of course.

Profile Email
sr123
 Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 06:33 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Since it was said in the badnav page that such bugs had not been reproduced yet in Linux, well, here's what happened:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Firefox 15.0.1 with Adblock (disabled) and DownloadHelper extensions
Went to "List Clans" in NP Clan Hall, and did middle-click-open-in-bg-tab on a bunch of them. Each instead loaded the same clan as the first (SWEET). Then the original page went to badnav.

badnav page repeats every time I reload improbableisland.com. Normal behavior restored automatically just now, after about an hour. The badnav page is shown below, even on reloads:

Error page message:
We're showing you ... on these links.
If you see this message consistently, please add your tuppence'orth to this forum thread. [i]sr123's note: This link still points to the Season2 badnav thread![/i]

bio.php?char=16205&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=95040&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=70017&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=23618&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=27325&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=64478&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=20701&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=73116&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=123961&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=124155&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=126698&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=27919&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=132438&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
village.php?c=28-065208
clan.php?op=list&c=28-065209
runmodule.php?module=staminasystem&op=show

So that's it, and I hope it helps for whatever.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: sr123

Since it was said in the badnav page that such bugs had not been reproduced yet in Linux, well, here's what happened:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Firefox 15.0.1 with Adblock (disabled) and DownloadHelper extensions
Went to "List Clans" in NP Clan Hall, and did middle-click-open-in-bg-tab on a bunch of them. Each instead loaded the same clan as the first (SWEET). Then the original page went to badnav.

badnav page repeats every time I reload improbableisland.com. Normal behavior restored automatically just now, after about an hour. The badnav page is shown below, even on reloads:

Error page message:
We're showing you ... on these links.
If you see this message consistently, please add your tuppence'orth to this forum thread. [i]sr123's note: This link still points to the Season2 badnav thread![/i]

bio.php?char=16205&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=95040&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=70017&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=23618&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=27325&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=64478&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=20701&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=73116&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=123961&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=124155&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=126698&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=27919&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
bio.php?char=132438&ret=%2Fclan.php%3Fdetail%3D7
village.php?c=28-065208
clan.php?op=list&c=28-065209
runmodule.php?module=staminasystem&op=show

So that's it, and I hope it helps for whatever.

Thank you for helping!

The text on that badnav page is obsolete -- we do now have a problem-reporting system, and that's where CMJ looks for diagnostic information whenever he takes a deep breath and dives once again down the badnav rabbit hole. When you run into a badnav, it's best to submit a petition. Your character information will be connected to it, which will make it easier for him to contact you if he has questions for you.

That said...

In this particular case, I think I know what went wrong. The Island, in general, does not take kindly to a player having multiple tabs open at once. There are a few exceptions (MoTD, distractions, petitions, that sort of thing...), but the List Clans page is not one of them. It does not open in a background tab. You can only see the details of one clan at a time.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.17 seconds
New Topic Post Reply