Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 How to control the Weather, or, How I spent my Afternoon.
 |  Printable Version
Trex
 Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM UTC (Read 2445 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Good Evening Islanders! Trex here with a hopefully interesting and insightful article on the topic of Programming. Specifically programming a page or room to display the weather that currently exists on the Island using contraptions and contrivances. I have written it with the hope of helping others understand more about the idea of Programming and how to do so.

Please read my article on the wiki here and comment on it here. I would very much like to read what people think of the article and on the subject matter.

Thank you all in advance. =)

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

O_o

Edit:

You are one of the reasons why wikis are so useful in this day and age. This is marvelous.

Profile Email
ByteKing
 Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Very nice. I'd gotten a basic weather program working, but it's great to see the extent of programming the FULL weather... Daunting as it may be. Eek!

No negative comments, other than maybe you could have a section that covers MOST of the conditions with only 1/2 the components. Smile For those without the means to buy so many extra grids.

Very nice wiki, though.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That is an awesome wiki page. Very thorough. Thank you very much!

Do you think you could add pictures (more screenshots, maybe) of how to arrange the program grids? I find things a lot easier with visual representations.

Seconding the request for a simpler streamlined version, if you can plan one out. I would love to be able to do this full thing in all of my garden areas, but with the number of rooms I'm thinking of, that would be pretty expensive!

Also, what about trees, for completing the "outside" effect? Rather than buying even more Grids, would simply sticking that Contraption into any top row of an existing Program work?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 04:19 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Moar like this, please. Writing documentation is daunting to me, because... well, I wrote the damn engine. I'm too close to it to really grok what a newbie would need help with.

Profile Email Website
Trex
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 10:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Thank you all for the supportive comments, I have updated the wiki page with screencaps for the nine Logic Grids that are required to program the whole system, but I have also now completed a more streamlined version of the program that is slightly less accurate, but only uses four Logic Grids and eighteen Contraptions and Contrivances. I have yet to get screen caps for these logic grids due to the fact I need to expand the Logic grid I have by one column. This shouldn't take long to remedy though and I will update the page to include those screencaps as I make them.

Profile Email
Trex
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

After asking a few people what they would like to me write an article on next I decided to write this short article. In short, it explains how to set up a room so that all the comments in it can be deleted with the single commentary command 'SUPERGREM'. It contains programs for both the single channel room and the dual channel room. The article can be found here.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Excellent explanation, and I'll almost certainly be making use of it in my garden.

Reading through it though, I find myself nit-picking Wink
In the first of the Page Darker/Page Darkest grids, would it be better to put the 'Darkest' contraption above the 'Dark' one, as this would require only one Time Range Contrivance (04:00 - 20:00) between them? Saves you a Time Range Contrivance but there might be a reason why that doesn't work (I haven't been on the Beta).

In the last of the 'Darker' grids, you have night running from 20:00 to 23:59 rather than 04:00. Is this an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

Not meaning to be rude - I'd have probably been lost trying to do that from scratch. Just trying to be helpful Smile

Profile Email
Trex
 Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Wongo:

Thank you for pointing that out, you are indeed correct that it is possible to reduce the number of Time Range Contrivances by one =D I shall update the wiki page accordingly. Also, yes that was an oversight, I have corrected that part of the wiki page as well!

Other News:

I have started a page on Memories! Please tell me what else you think should be on the page, which can be found here!

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Monday, April 02 2012 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Could you possibly include the time ranges actual numerical time? You describe sunrise starting at 600 and morning starting at 800 and dusk starting at 1800 but it'd be helpful to know the start times of all of them. Please and thank you Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.84 seconds
New Topic Post Reply