Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Wiki items on Places
 |  Printable Version
Daedalus
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 04:47 AM UTC (Read 3161 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh ... err ... Hi

I seem to have, umm, hi-jacked a couple of pages in the wiki relating to Places. They were, as far as I can tell, created by Trex* and were blank.

If I've done bad let me know and I'll delete the stuff I've added. Or move it. Or something.

In summary, I followed a link from one his** wonderfull pages (Contraptions or Contrivances, can't remember which.) trying to find an explanation of Pages. The Pages wiki-page was blank. So I stuck in the tiny bit of what I understand Pages to be about. Then I ended up on the wiki-page "places:start", which was also blank. So I figured I'd just add a little intro, and then add stuff that might be useful under the heading 'start'. You know, where to start. I haven't got further than headings really. But, yeah, I kinda got carried away. Eek!

So, here's the thing. I'm a coding tragic. It's all Greek to me. Consequently, I'm all at sea with regard to the whole Places system. And I'm pretty sure I wont be the only one. I managed to re-build my Dwelling, and then had absolutely no idea what to do with the rest of the (awesome) potential that the Places system clearly has. Pages? Memories? Contrapt-rivance thingys? What the ... ?

So I guess I'm just trying to sort it out for my own purposes, and leaving a bread-crumb trail for others. It will necessarily be a 'Places for Dummies' toned thing, causes I'm a Places dummy.

But, it's a wiki, right? So anyone that has the expertise and time, please look over it and edit it into something useful.

And I realise that it's entirely possible that I'm duplicating someone-else's concurrent efforts. Let me know if that's happening.

I've also been trying to add Places related entries to the wiki Index, but haven't got far with that yet.

D.

* I hope he'll forgive me. I guess he created them planning to fill them in later.
** I also don't know why I assumed "Trex" was male. I think it's 'casue I associated it wth T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics. Sorry if I got that wrong.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Trex
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 09:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

*chuckles*

Hello there Daedalus, you are correct in the assumption that I am indeed male Smile

I will be honest that I do not remember referencing any uncreated pages when I was writing my articles, so that's probably my bad ^^;

However you have not done bad at all, in fact you have done awesome and should keep it up Big Grin as should I, real-life has managed to slow me down however which is why I have pretty much stalled on writing the Memories article.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In the general belief that we need a fairly comprehensive set of wiki pages about Places, I've taken it upon myself to start writing basic introductory pages. How far I get, and how long it takes me to get there is in the lap of the gods.

I propose that that the wiki should contain pages thus:

Non-programming

Rooms and Doors I
- Building of.
- Decorating of.
Rooms and Doors II
- Chat spaces.
- Renaming of doors.
- Locks, keys, and hidden rooms.
- Ordering of doors.
Other non-programming features.
- Pages
- Room Expansions.
-- Beds
-- Teleport Beacon.

Programming

Basic Introduction.
How to ... One way doors
Secret Doors
Moving NPCs
Weather Control
SuperGrem
Thanks for the Memories

Some of these have already been done (which is partly why they're in there.) More could go in.

I've put this list up on Daedalus' earlier entry here.
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=places:start

I've also gone and reworked Dwellings for Dummies into a new page - Places for Dummies - for Rooms and Doors I. This is meant to be for people who have no idea about places at all, who never worked with Dwellings.

HELP!

Is there anything else that can go in this list?
Can people please have a look at these and edit, my writing style sucks and could do with being cleaned up. Even one spelling mistake found and corrected would be a step in the right direction.
For some reason, I can't get my cross links to work*. If somebody could sort those out for me, that would be great. This includes the link in the index.

List of wiki pages which should be referenced.

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=places%3Aprogramming%3Aprogramming_basics
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=trex%3Aweathercontrol
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=trex%3Amemories
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=trex%3Asupergrem

Some of the pages on programming. I don't know how to get pictures in wiki pages yet, making it hard to do. Note that in the "How to section" I've put things in increasing order of complexity. The first one (one-way doors) takes just one gadget.

When it comes to programming, we've got a fairly broad range of abilities, from folks who have spent twenty years as professional programmers, to people who's heads don't work that way at all.

I reckon that we need plenty of simple but potentially useful examples, so that you don't really have to understand too much to get something happening, you can just copy from the example. But that hopefully, seeing the example will help understanding of how programming works.

That's my theory anyway.

Comments please. I'm now going to go and start writing Rooms and Doors II.

----

* Possibly something to do with it being the small wee hours of the morning.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 03:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

More than happy to do (non-tekko) proofreading and hooking links up, so you and others can focus on the tekko-coding-procedural stuff.

On a different track (but useful for inclusion in the wiki), am I correct in suspecting that contraptions etc held in a backpack do not survive a DK? Pretty sure I lost one.

D.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Daedalus

More than happy to do (non-tekko) proofreading and hooking links up, so you and others can focus on the tekko-coding-procedural stuff.

On a different track (but useful for inclusion in the wiki), am I correct in suspecting that contraptions etc held in a backpack do not survive a DK? Pretty sure I lost one.

D.

This is indeed the case.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 05:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

This is indeed the case.

Well ... crap! Didn't know that. It should say so in the wiki ... oh, err, yeah.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 02:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cheers Daedalus.
I've written part II now and put it in. I even managed to get my links working this time. Now for part III.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Looking good, thank you guys!

Has anyone set up any tinyurls or similar to any Places pages? I've been merrily using tinyurl.com/ii-dwellings for - gosh, it must be a year now - and now that will need an update.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 29 2011 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I haven't, since I know little of such matters. It's something it seems I'm going to have to learn at some point, but don't hold your breath for this particular page.

QuestionNow a question of my own. Question

When you first start building, before you've played around with changing the headings at the top of your list of links, what are their default names? Does anybody remember?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 29 2011 @ 06:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So I've finished writing a few pages about the basics of Places and am now set to start writing some pages on programming.

As part of this I'd like to include shed loads of screen shots of working programs as I think that this would make things far easier to understand.

Question CMJ. Is there somewhere in the wiki where I can store all these images? Or should I use some sort of external image hosting site like Trex did?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 02:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've started writing a little tutorial to programming Places. This is only the start, but I've been going slower, and if I wait until it's completed, then it could take years, if it ever comes out at all. So I decided that putting this out is better than nothing. I intend to write more, but don't hold your breath.

You can get to it from here.

- I still haven't got the hang of inserting pictures, being something of a numpty. If somebody who knows could deal with that, then that would be great.

- Feedback from people who are having problems with programing would be equally great. Is this slow enough? Too slow? Should I put more in? What are people interested in seeing? Let me know.

Edit: Not all my own work, I've used Trex's page on SuperGrem as part of it.

Profile Email
Omega
 Monday, October 03 2011 @ 03:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here, let's see. We have:
1- Upload your images somewhere where they will persist, like the very Gallery of Shame you see.
2- Embed your image with the two pairs of Shift+[ brackets as shown: {{IMAGELINKHERE}}
3- Jump lines when needed using the nice method the wiki provides : Line1 \\ Line2

Also, I would be interested in seeing a good use of something that is based on both time and dice rolls.

Check the Classifieds section on the Wiki. You CAN store images on-site, but not the wiki.

On your first question, they are "Explore this area" and "Explore Deeper" and "Return".

...Sorry if this looks mis-structured or poorly worded, or if I miss something. I am not in the proper mental state.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.98 seconds
New Topic Post Reply