Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 Most efficient/effective way for this door problem?
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 07:12 AM UTC (Read 1638 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How best do I keep a door hidden from only one side?

By this, I mean the following:

I have a Harness Platform room. When a player enters, there are no forward room options, and only a return room option. There is also a page called Put on your Harness.

When I activate Put on your Harness, it displays the text of putting on the harness, but it also runs a program of 0 Contrivances and 6 Contraptions:

Hide Door - the one that brought you to the Harness Platform
Hide Page Link - "Put on your Harness"
Show Page Link - "Take off your Harness"
Show Hidden Door - Track One
Show Hidden Door - Track Two
Show Hidden Door - Track Three

By nature of the program, when I click Take off your Harness, I lucked out and everything gets reversed. It gives a message of taking off the harness, it removes the hidden doors from view, it reverts the Page link status, everything is totally awesome.

But, if I go to Track One's room, or Track Two's, or Track Three's... I'm in there with no way to go back to the Harness Platform besides leaving the place and reentering from the map. Obviously, I can do some programs in each in order to get the doors visible as well, but is that necessary? Is there a way that my doors are always visible by default from the Track rooms, but always invisible by default from the Harness Platform?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was just trying to work it out with a Previous Room contrivance, but actually, so that it would look right coming back as well, you would need four of those in a row. So that's not the way to do it.

Other votes?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Would it work if the doors were visible by default, but the harness platform room ran a program of 0 contraptions and three 'Hide Door' contrivances?

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that's close, Wongo--I was thinking that if the doors were visible by default, and if I used a Previous Room contrivance to hide the 3 doors upon entering the Harness Platform. This way, when returning to the Harness Platform from one of the Tracks, I would still see the other Track options rather than having to Put on the Harness again.

I think that's the cleanest solution, right?

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 07:09 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

My instincts tell me that you want the 'put on your harness' page to be displayed (and run) by default, with a 'hide page' added to the list of things that happen on the harness platform if you came in from outside.

Take that idea with a massive pinch of salt though; I've not actually done any real programming so that might horribly bork the whole thing.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 10:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Couldn't you do it the other way round? Have the doors to the tracks showing, and the door from outside hidden, and then a gadget that reverses this if you've come in the original entrance? You'd have to have a gadget outside to show the way in as well.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 04:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

there's a couple ways to go about it, I think, if you want to be able to go back to the harness platform from each track room. Keep all the doors hidden, and then either:
1: put a contraption in each track room to show the hidden doors
2: make a page in each track room "Head back up the slope" with a warp-to-room contraption on the pages bringing you back to the Harness platform

#1 would be easier, #2 would be the way I'd do it because it amuses me to think of Pages throwing people around places Big Grin

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply