Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Hunger (added vitals bar and change of wording)
 |  Printable Version
JeanLuc
 Wednesday, October 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM UTC (Read 4426 times)  
Forum Newbie

I believe two thing should be changed. First in addition to the stamina bar there should be a hunger bar. A bar that can tell you how full you are. And secondly their shouldn't be such few steps between starving to death and stuffed to the rim full. No matter how much you eat it always seems to say "you still feel like you haven't eaten in days" or something like that and the suddenly bam your obese. I just want more steps in between so i can tell whats actually going on, i mean am i hungry or not

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, October 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: JeanLuc

I believe two thing should be changed. First in addition to the stamina bar there should be a hunger bar. A bar that can tell you how full you are. And secondly their shouldn't be such few steps between starving to death and stuffed to the rim full. No matter how much you eat it always seems to say "you still feel like you haven't eaten in days" or something like that and the suddenly bam your obese. I just want more steps in between so i can tell whats actually going on, i mean am i hungry or not

It seems that you're perhaps not eating the right foods. If all you eat is crisps, then there's not much nutrition, but lots of fat. Steaks, on the other hand, are more expensive, but incredibly lean and very filling.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, October 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The food system is broken though, and probably a major frustration for many a rookie. You can be simultaneously starving and rotund as a schoolbus of well-fed orphans. That's confusing and just downright wrong.

JeanLuc, there are two stats that are important. One is fat, the other is fullness. Aim for food with low-fat and high-fullness. We've found through trials and tribulations that steaks from Kittania are good, as is any food from Pleasantville.

See also this googledoc for more in-depth analysis of the various foods.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
JeanLuc
 Friday, October 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: tehdave

It seems that you're perhaps not eating the right foods. If all you eat is crisps, then there's not much nutrition, but lots of fat. Steaks, on the other hand, are more expensive, but incredibly lean and very filling.

It's not the fact that i'm getting fat that bothering it's the not being able to tell if i'm fat or skinny except by waiting until a new day,

Profile Email
Chamomile
 Sunday, October 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It's not the fact that i'm getting fat that bothering it's the not being able to tell if i'm fat or skinny except by waiting until a new day,

Seconded. So much. Generally, all the information from the New Day screen should be viewable elsewhere.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, October 23 2011 @ 03:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's a script for your two requests! It's on http://userpages.umbc.edu/~sq89891/Imp_Island/.
From http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=15&showtopic=20479

One of its features is that it lets you know how hungry you are, even if I did not test it myself yet. Enjoy!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Aurom
 Friday, November 04 2011 @ 06:35 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Honestly I have to agree with what has been said by the other rookies. Also, I don't think I should have to mess around with scripts, it should just be a feature in the game. Seriously. It's ridiculous that I can't tell how hungry I am until after I've eaten. Ideally there would be two bars, one which shows your hunger, and one which shows your weight. But if only one was included, it would be better for it to be the weight bar.

Profile Email
Omega
 Friday, November 04 2011 @ 08:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You don't mess with scripts. You install a script once. And it runs flawlessly. You can never die from hunger, nor can you die from having a belly that is as large as a huge oil tanker. I do not think that you need to strictly know how hungry you are, as it has no great consequences, and it is easily manageable.
As a rookie, I used to not eat at all, to save money. This has served its purpose, and the game was not a bit harder. You may want that to be implemented, but is it really needed?

Let us look at the right side panel: It contains your Vital Info, Personal Info, Equipment Info, and Buffs, in addition to the Global Banter links and the Game State. Including the hunger bar in your Vital Info would not be right. As it is not actually vital. You could die in any fight if you do not know how much is your health, attack, defense, or stamina. Adding it to the personal info would not fit either, as the requisition, experience, and cigarette counters are all numeral ones. Adding a graphic bar would not make sense, would it? The Buffs, Global Banter and Game State links are unrelated and obviously do not fit, either.

That would leave us with two options: Leaving the right side panel alone, or adding a section dedicated only for your nutritional information. I am in favor of both! As I am used already to the system, and it does not include new information, it would only make sense to include it in the bottom of the right side panel. As it will not be an often-changing counter, and I will not need to look at it unless I am planning to eat something. (Global Banter links should be under buffs, by the way. This is ridiculous! I have to scroll down every time I want to check if my ZAP Grenade or Chemical Pack buffs ran out.)

Alternatively, there could be another way to include the bar, but I am not sure, so I leave it to your creativity! I would like to babble more and swarm you with near-meaningless words, but now is not the time. I announce my tentative support for this!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, November 05 2011 @ 09:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm going to have to put my vote in with Aurom and the other rookies; it does seem rediculous that you can't tell how hungry and fat you are. One thing I would like to see is a way to look up the screen you saw at newday, which would be useful for more information than just 'hunger/fatness'. It would also be nice to see how full you are when you step into a resteraunt or go to the cooking page - it must already be running some kind of check on fullness or it wouldn't be able to tell you that 'you're too full to eat anything else today'.
If you're going for bars though, I'd put them in the personal info, beneath the experience bar.

As for scripts, I'm afraid I don't feel that people should be expected to run them to get something that feels like it should be part of the game. I'm certainly no technophobe but I wouldn't be confident using scripts because I wouldn't even know where to start installing them. Expecting starting players who may not even have decided if they're staying yet to start messing around with scripts (someone of my technical knowledge considers using scripts to be 'messing around' with them) is cutting out a large chunk of your potential player base. The fact that a bunch of new players consider this enough of a problem to sign themselves up to the forum to tell us implies that it's something we should be addressing. Who knows how many we may already have lost?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply