Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Just a few questions for you guys
 |  Printable Version
Jambie
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 12:30 AM UTC (Read 7407 times)  
Forum Newbie

Alright so I'm doing an English report about online role-playing communities and I have a few questions for you guys.

Why do you like to role-play?
How old are you, and do you play table top RPs, online RPs, or both?
What kind of person would you consider yourself to be? (Please don't get offended by this question. What I mean is what stereotype would you consider yourself to be?)
How seriously do you take RPs?

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated Mr. Green

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It helps me take myself less seriously, and lets me flex the ol' imagination muscles.
32, and tabletop mostly. II is a special exception to that.
GEEEEEEEEEEEKKK.
It annoys me when people habitually break character and/or the rules (yes, even in the sense of constantly making homebrewed classes, race, etc. if they *aren't* the DM). On the flip side, I've happily played mad scientists, fairies (yes, wimmin), a heroic bunny feudal fantasy warrior, various kung fu masters, cyborgs, mutants, and a cartoon pig.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 12:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The hardest question first.

Why do I like to roleplay?

Hard to answer really. Because it's fun, but that doesn't answer anything really. It provides a creative outlet of a different sort to my more normal one (maths), an outlet which other, like minded, people see and I get feedback from. I enjoy reading a lot of other people's doings. Also, I can be very silly.
But this is just a post hoc rationalisation really. I enjoy it because I enjoy it, that's all I can really say.

How old am I, and do I play table top RPs, online RPs, or both?

Easy one this. 43.
I used to play table top RP long ago, but other than that, the Island is the only RP I do.

What kind of person would I consider myself to be?

A bit harder, old hippy I suppose would be the best fit. Is that the sort of thing that you had in mind?

Not really, but I personally like constructing consistent ideas about the world in which my characters find themselves. I really don't mind what other people do though, if it's not to my taste then I just don't read it. Some of my favourite players and favourite scenes by other players have played very fast and loose with "canon".

Hope this helps.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 01:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My mind is a very fickle place. I tend to think up a scenario (ie What would happen if I could stretch like rubber) and that would just occupy me for the rest of the day. Harmless, one might even say simple. However, as time went on, my mind kept running into a wall, forcing me to just replay the scenario over and over ad infinitum until it was no longer fun. RP helped put that 'creative' power into a medium. I have fun, I make people laugh, and I feel all around good about it. Win-win-win.

I'll just go ahead and out myself as the youngest and say 20. And the Island is really the only RP site I have. I tried other online RPs but they were nowhere close to the Island, specially how it is now, as I was here when the Island was a play off of Quest for the Green Dragon.

What kind of person would you consider yourself to be?

Full fledged nerd, with the social skills of a tapeworm. Seriously, besides a handful of people, the Island is where I met all my friends.

I'm a ham. I do my best to try and entertain the audience, whether it's with biting satire, gruesome imagery, or just good ol fashioned 'playing the part.' I try to rely on 'realism,' and that's hard to do when you're an Islander. It all depends on pacing for the most part. Say, if someone slowly starts becoming a musician over a few weeks, it gives people time to react and adjust, and I think a better experience for all. If someone just up and plays Beethoven on the tuba that they pulled out of thin air, that may get some groans out of your audience.

And I think many could tell you on my view on the 'Mary Sue' type.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 02:30 AM UTC  

I think I find it easier, and more social, than writing prose by myself. I like to work with what other people present to me, and I like the feedback I receive in turn. I also like scenarios, what-ifs, and character development. Roleplaying, to me, is about writing and developing one specific character (or more than one, really!), and I find the opportunity to explore characterization very appealing.

Age and type of RPG?
I'm around 20, and I've always played online RPs. Although II is the first one I've played in this quick relay style.

Kind of person?
A hermit-ish one.

And how seriously do I take it?
It sort of depends. I take my own roleplay too seriously, sometimes, in that I have a certain view of how my characters, and the game world, work, and I try my best to work within those restrictions. I don't take my own roleplay very seriously at all, in that I'm not afraid to do something completely stupid just because it seems funny. Most of the time, I don't take other people's roleplay seriously; other players are rarely going to fit into my personal idea of how things work, so as long as they're entertained with themselves, why should I rage over it? If I don't like it, I don't have to read it, and for all I know, someone's raging over how I play.

Temper
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 03:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ooooo! Ooooo! Me next!

Mostly because I love to read, and this game is, to me, like a constantly changing book. With a gazillion different styles of writing, that I'll never finish and therefore, never have to put on the shelf.

I'm nineteen as of this precise moment, and I've never played tabletops, though that's mostly because I don't have any idea how they work. As for online RP, this is really it.

What kind of person would you consider yourself to be? (Please don't get offended by this question. What I mean is what stereotype would you consider yourself to be?)
Errm... Incredibly nerdy, I guess?

Depends on who I'm playing as (I have lots of alts), and the situation, I suppose. In any event, I probably take it all more seriously than I should, even if I don't let it show out in Banter.. Hopefully.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 04:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

:I Looks like a fun topic.

Hmm. It can be interesting. I used to think it was really stupid and only for nerds. This place is where I started, and until I started understanding what it really was supposed to be, I wasn't having fun.
Nowadays, I understand things more and enjoy it.
Mostly the reason I like to is because I've already had characters lying around, and this is just a chance to see how they'd react in certain situations.

How old am I and do I play table top RPs, online RPs, or both?
21, but I started this game when I was 18 or 19. I can't remember how long it's been.
I've never played table top RP, in fact I'm hardly even sure what that is. I'll venture a guess and say something like Dungeons and Dragons. Never did understand that game, haha.
This is pretty much my only RP outlet, although I am currently trying to broaden my horizons and RP at a forum for other artists. It's very confusing, but so far the experience in entering in is better than what it was here, when I was first starting out.
Then again that could be because I have a slight idea of what RP even is, now. Razz

A **deep breath** shy, idiotic, sarcastic, repetitive, nerdy, needy, geeky, often stupid, forgetful, full of flaws, paranoid, awkward, often worried, hardly optimistic, usually negative, short tempered, easy to be walked all over, easily amused by the simple things in life, often bored, self critical, this list could keep on going if I actually started putting thought into this...
Or we could just call me a great big Derp and leave it at that.
Oh and I repeat myself a lot for no reason.

It depends on how seriously the people around me take their characters and their RP. After my run in with being a Mary Sue for a year and finally learning how much it makes people absolutely despise you [believe you me, there are still many of them around who still hate me for it], and learning how, when you get down to it, it makes you sad and bored with everything, I happen to really get a bit picky with those I RP with.
As Chimental stated earlier, learning to do something instantly is kind of...well, lame.
There are Mary Sue aspects about all characters, and especially with the all-powerful Jokers here, there are even more, but some do actually play it out very well.
I really do enjoy playing with other folks who can RP very well. Even if I'm terrible at it in comparison, they're still very fun to be around. I might still be the worst player here, but I really enjoy playing with others who are willing to put time and effort into putting up with me.

...My apologies for this being so freakin' long. >_>

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 11:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A chance to talk about me? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It's collaborative writing, escapism, and bad puns all rolled into one.

How old am I and do I play table top RPs, online RPs, or both?
26. I have played vampire LARPing, never tried table top RP's although if anyone knows of any nearby I'd love to give it a go. (And roll all 1's, and lose my finely crafted character the first time it's allowed out... Actually, this is sounding familiar. Does Sorcerer's Cave count? Is it too late to change my answer to yes?)

Socially awkward, with a sense of humour that most people don't get... I'm clever in some ways, and incredibly thick in others. I can't keep secrets.

I have a lot of fun with my own RP. If I see someone around and find myself tutting like an old woman, I try to make a point of at least saying hello to them in character at some point, in the hope that fun things will ensue and I'll get over my huffiness. I do have pet peeves on here, but am shutting up now. There are some wonderful people around who are always guaranteed for fun, and I'd rather end this post thinking about them.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OOOOHHH!!!!

Ok yay my turn!

I started when I was 12 and never stopped loving it! Although in more depth, I suppose it's because I adore books and stories, and RP is a chance to read other peoples stories, tell your own, and do improv all at once. I write a lot solo, but I really like collaborative writing. You get things you'd never think of on your own, and often I find myself laughing out loud, which is always good!

I just turned 29 and I used to play table top. Then I went to college and got busy and had no one to play with. Now I only play the Island. I did try out a telnet based RP game when I was 16 and went from noob to mod, but after 6 months and a bad case of tendonitis I quit wholesale. Now I'm a bit older I'm surprised they let me be a mod that young. Those were the Mary Sue days of talking fairies (don't ask for details). Honestly if I had a group of friends locally I would still table top, I really prefer it, but the Island is a great compromise (plus I can RP with people in the Netherlands! How cool is that?!)

I, unlike a lot of Islanders as far as I can tell, have no coding or computer knowledge really at all. I consider myself a book person and an artist I suppose. That song by MC Chris, NRRDGIRL, is a pretty apt description of me (although all the anime I know is because my husband introduced me to it).

Meh. I mean I have always liked games with rules. So kinda like Esc said, I take myself a bit seriously when it comes to sticking to canon and my own rule sets. I often avoid places where there is group RP with the 'I can do anything magical and awesome Mary Sue sorta people'. But that said, I'm always looking for fun and new RP and will usually try new people out.

My first storyline was pretty 'serious', and now I have a slightly 'serious' storyline (Rosalind Rosemoo and Richard Gilliam) mixed with my CLOG antics, which are played for pure comic relief.

I have tons of fun here, but overall, it's a game, and I know it. It can affect my mood in RL, but push comes to shove, dog, husband, life all take precedence over my Island life.

Razz

Hope that helps! This is sorta fascinating to read other peoples answers. Maniak don't dodge this bullet! Eek!

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 12:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

... I might still be the worst player here, but I really enjoy playing with others who are willing to put time and effort into putting up with me.

You're not the worst player here Kimmy, believe me you're not by a long way.

Also, the post wasn't especially long, and if it had been I'd have still been interested in reading all of it.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oooohhhh.....what the hell. Smile

I started when I was around 13, just goofing off on the internet in chat rooms, before I found my first Role-Playing chat room. I wrote a lot back then: fan fics, original fiction, comic book scripts, random silly ideas, etc. So, transitioning into FFRP ("Free Form Role-Playing" as they called it) was quite easy for me, even if I did start out like most noobs as the Mary Sue sort. That didn't last long until I was smacked down. (:

I kept role-playing because I met a lot of cool people and made new friends online with similar interests and tastes. I even met my wife online! To me, the story became secondary to the people, and it turned into a social thing.

I'm 28 now, and I have played D&D a little bit, but I've mostly only played online RP. D&D is much different, I think, with regard to how you role-play, and it was more difficult for me to get into character sitting at a friend's dining room table than it is sitting in front of a computer writing out my thoughts. To me, D&D is more of a board game than role-playing. They're both very social, of course, and highly enjoyable activities with the right people.

I'm an engineer now, if that tells you anything! Mr. Green I've always been introverted, I guess, and having that special sort of anonymity online helps me be a bit more open with myself.

I like to think I've been there and done it all for seriousness. I started out silly, irreverent, and totally clueless. I moved on to more serious "limit your capabilities" styles, shifted into an ultra-snobby clique of friends where we would force people to submit an application before joining our site, backed away from that model when it ultimately failed (like, seriously, stay away from that crap!), and settled into a more friendly site where we would coach newer players in various manners and forms. Eventually that site died, too, due to lack of interest, and I nearly stopped role-playing altogether. It wasn't until I stumbled upon a link to IIsland under a picture of a cat girl someone posted on DeviantART that I've started again (much to the chagrin of some of my old RP buddies... Oh well!)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

... I might still be the worst player here, but I really enjoy playing with others who are willing to put time and effort into putting up with me.

You're not the worst player here Kimmy, believe me you're not by a long way.

Also, the post wasn't especially long, and if it had been I'd have still been interested in reading all of it.

**logs in just to reply, oh my, okay no rhyming STOPPAT**

aww
that's really nice
it's nice that maybe some folks think that xD thank you

oh man
oh MAN
D:
don't say things like that cause i'll start writing a textwall full of half CAPITALS and half noncapitals and i'll just keep on GOING and get all talkative and excited like a twelve year old because i happen to thoroughly enjoy just yapping my face off at anyone who thinks they're brave enough to listen to me and believe me i've gone through a few brave, brave souls already and they're amazing for it but- **brick'd**

:I I'll use proper capitals right here.
Right here.
And there.
Alright this is enough.

[thanks xD]

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I have been fascinated by Story since I was three. I discovered science fiction and fantasy when I was thirteen. I love to read, I like to write. Role-play is collaborative writing that lets me do both.

Old enough to be retired. From 1985 to 1997 I was part of a tabletop gaming group. We played AD&D, GURPS, Gamma World, The Arcanum, Empire of the Petal Throne, Paranoia -- I've possibly forgotten some. For ten years I ran a campaign set in Han Dynasty China using my own very-adapted take on AD&D, with my son as the youngest of the players. Most of the others had met in university, and our sessions took place in the student union building on Saturdays under the nominal aegis of the university role-playing club. Then, well... I moved to another city, and never connected up with another group.

I had known about online RPGs for a long time but carefully stayed away from them because I didn't need another time sink. Then, one day, shortly after I admitted to myself that no employer was going to hire a computer programmer in their mid-sixties, and that I was therefore retired... I was reading Girl Genius, saw this banner ad for II, and thought, what the hell, let me find out what this is all about. Huh. Some years later... here I am, a mod.

Introverted, shy, detail-oriented. I like data, and I like it to be accurate. I don't mind spending time doing repetitive stuff if I can see that I'm making progress. Usually patient; when I do lose my temper I get over it very fast. I started out as a young adult with no people skills at all, but I've been working on them a while and like to think I've made some progress.

Depends which character. By now, Sessine is a real person inside my head -- by which I mean, I know him so well that I don't have to stop and think to know how he'd react to a situation. If that would not be a good idea, if it would, for instance, spoil someone else's storyline, then I have to come up with a reason he wouldn't do that. The simplest device is to keep him ignorant of the situation; I'll use that if I possibly can. I'm always aware that I am the writer. It is up to me to decide what he does and doesn't do... but sometimes he gives me an argument.

Junebug, my power-alt, is intentionally no more than a sketch. She's inquisitive (some might call it nosy), and that's about all I know about her. After a brief trial, I am declining invitations to role-play her -- that would make her more real, and she shouldn't be. Her job is fixing players' game problems.

Other characters fall somewhere in between. I don't take them seriously at all. They're spear-carriers; they will be whatever they need to be for the purposes of a plot.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey
Maniak don't dodge this bullet!

Since you asked specifically... Wait a minute! These questions aren't relevant to me. Occasionally I play make-believe, but I never roleplay.

Wink

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Friday, November 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alright then Maniak.

Why do you like to play make believe?
How old are you, and do you play table top make believe, online make believe, or both?
How seriously do you take make believe?

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Saturday, November 12 2011 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Alright then Maniak.

Why do you like to play make believe?
How old are you, and do you play table top make believe, online make believe, or both?
How seriously do you take make believe?

Seconded!

Razz

Pulls out her cat launcher and aims it at Maniak.

Dodge this!

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Boudi
 Saturday, November 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It's a story. And, often, a lovely one. I didn't really realize what roleplaying was until I actually got involved. It was simply a link I clicked and I am so, so glad I did (You people are brilliant and lovely. Thank you, again and again for playing, because there are so many people I wouldn't have met, otherwise). I read constantly when I was younger and, after a bit of finagling with writing, am kind of-- proud/happy with this creative outlet.

I am 20 years old and I play solely online RPs. Specifically - The Island. I never tried roleplaying before that. It was a new experience, to be sure.

Quite honestly? A closet nerd. A hipster-prep, in real life, my friends have just informed me. And a busy one, these days (Pity I can't play more). Also, Kimmy, don't focus too much on one's flaws. We all have them. And perfect people are dull, as Mary-Sues have taught us.

I like writing and I like writing well. I'm a bit harder on myself than most, regarding my writing, but I like being able to write a story with other people. I do like story continuity and-- realism, even in fantasy. And trying to find-- not cliches. I'm not very good at writing plots and stories and I try not to start them unless I'm truly interested because roleplay is something to be fun, in my opinion. If it's not fun, it's time for a change!

Profile Email
Jambie
 Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 01:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Maniak

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey
Maniak don't dodge this bullet!

Since you asked specifically... Wait a minute! These questions aren't relevant to me. Occasionally I play make-believe, but I never roleplay.

Wink

Alright smarty pants =P In a sense role-playing and make believe are the same.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Boudi

Also, Kimmy, don't focus too much on one's flaws. We all have them. And perfect people are dull, as Mary-Sues have taught us.

Pff.
Tell me that and I'll think it's a horribly awful flaw in me that I'm picking out too many flaws about mysel-oh crap I'm already thinking that.

Ah sheet.

Believe me, if you woulda seen me last season, you probably would not mind me picking some of my flaws out.
So much Mary Sue. u_u Kinda wish it never even happened. Too late now, though. :I

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 07:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooh, this is an interesting topic.

I can only speak of experience with the Island;
I love to write and this place allows me free rein. Bouncing off other people's wonderful writing is a fathomless depth of joy for me.

40-ish. Never played any kind of RP games of any sort before.

Dunno about stereotype. I'm a bit of a geek I suppose. Not a coding software type but a hardware type. I love computers, networks and the wonder of the Internet/webs. Otherwise I'm pretty generous, forgiving and social. If it matters I eschew all religions, unless humour counts, in which case I'm a devout humourist.

A char's back story is quite serious I suppose, although serious is probably the wrong word. Otherwise I don't take RP seriously at all.

I'd be interested in seeing your paper once written too. Fairs fair, share and share Smile

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply