Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Places are, frankly, ugly.
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM UTC (Read 1923 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love the functionality of places, for the most part. But the design is less than ideal. There are two major problems I see with it. I know both of these have been brought up before, but here it goes again:

First, that box. That hideous, hideous box. It looks disconnected from the world. It's jarring, from a player's standpoint. The disclaimer on it is cringe-inducing, and overall, it severely detracts from the immersion.

Secondly, this:

Another immersion-killer, there. On top of that, "Poops McGee" isn't even a real player, and is eating up valuable space while not even bothering to exist, and I can't kick them. So that needs fixed.

I'm sorry to call out the design like this, but it's really, really nasty-looking to me, and immersion, I think, is most important.

Profile Email
Boudi
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 12:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Seconded. All of it. Please, please, please.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 12:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've got to agree with you about the customised furniture. Sessine cast some light on the issue over in If I could change one small thing....

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Also, the customized furniture text for double beds. "Customized furniture (King size bed) is occupied by Devorah (room for one more)" looks terrible.

Quote by: Maniak

... As for the furniture, well, the same assumption is made, isn't it? The whole idea of custom furniture is that it's no longer recognizable as such. Having a big THIS IS STILL A COUCH plastered over your hyperbaric chamber/patch of grass in the shade totally ruins the illusion. ...

This has been changed a little bit, but as soon as someone occupies the furniture, Cadfael's "Customized furniture" logo sticker still shows up. Now we see "Customized Furniture (Wooden Bench) occupied by so-and-so". This is... as Maniac says, illusion-destroying.

It would be very, very nice if Cadfael would just customize the verbosename to exactly what the customer asked for, no more and no less.

As an experiment, I changed the verbosename for the benches in Main Street Station from 'Customized Furniture (Wooden Bench)' to 'Wooden Bench'. People have been coming and going for some days now; it seems that not having the sticker there has no obvious ill effects.

On the subject of ghosts in beds, see Petition 189 (have I mentioned lately that I love the bugtracker system?).

I also agree that the box is ugly and an immersion-killer. (The Supply Crate, oh how we miss thee.) However, I'm not sure whether simply going back to the original Dwellings model would be the best idea. Quite a few confused newbies used to ask really basic questions about Dwellings - it seems like a good idea, to me, to have a little note somewhere easily obvious that these Places are Player-created.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 12:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

I've got to agree with you about the customised furniture. Sessine cast some light on the issue over in If I could change one small thing....

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Also, the customized furniture text for double beds. "Customized furniture (King size bed) is occupied by Devorah (room for one more)" looks terrible.

Quote by: Maniak

... As for the furniture, well, the same assumption is made, isn't it? The whole idea of custom furniture is that it's no longer recognizable as such. Having a big THIS IS STILL A COUCH plastered over your hyperbaric chamber/patch of grass in the shade totally ruins the illusion. ...

This has been changed a little bit, but as soon as someone occupies the furniture, Cadfael's "Customized furniture" logo sticker still shows up. Now we see "Customized Furniture (Wooden Bench) occupied by so-and-so". This is... as Maniac says, illusion-destroying.

It would be very, very nice if Cadfael would just customize the verbosename to exactly what the customer asked for, no more and no less.

As an experiment, I changed the verbosename for the benches in Main Street Station from 'Customized Furniture (Wooden Bench)' to 'Wooden Bench'. People have been coming and going for some days now; it seems that not having the sticker there has no obvious ill effects.

On the subject of ghosts in beds, see Petition 189 (have I mentioned lately that I love the bugtracker system?).

I also agree that the box is ugly and an immersion-killer. (The Supply Crate, oh how we miss thee.) However, I'm not sure whether simply going back to the original Dwellings model would be the best idea. Quite a few confused newbies used to ask really basic questions about Dwellings - it seems like a good idea, to me, to have a little note somewhere easily obvious that these Places are Player-created.

That note would be better served as blue rookie-text. We have the same little note behind the same little question mark saying story in in-character and banter is out, but many rookies still make OOC posts their first time in story. It really doesn't work.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 06:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First, that box. That hideous, hideous box. It looks disconnected from the world. It's jarring, from a player's standpoint. The disclaimer on it is cringe-inducing, and overall, it severely detracts from the immersion.

I'm sorry to call out the design like this, but it's really, really nasty-looking to me, and immersion, I think, is most important.

Seconded and agreed.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
TeddybearofDeath
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 07:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Makiwa

Seconded and agreed.

Thirded. Oh god, Thirded. 'Jarring' is exactly the right word too.

Also agree about the customized furniture. It'd be awesome if that was made nicer like Sessine's was at some point.

Give our wonderful programmers some time to tinker with it. Everything gets better with age, including the Places system. (Excluding eggs, however.)

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply