Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 I've just been using our Distractions system.
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 06:44 AM UTC (Read 2913 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Fuck me, there's room for improvement there, isn't there? Neutral

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 07:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To be honest, I was sort of hoping the next big overhaul would be the inventory screen. Mostly, the inclusion of a drop/transfer x amount thing.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 08:17 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Next thing is making the chat system work in Internet Explorer.

Do you know what I just did? I just booted into Windows and tried to use it for something other than gaming. I just knowingly and willingly loaded Internet Explorer and tried to use it. That's how much I love you guys.

God Damn but Windows is ugly. Frown

Profile Email Website
Makiwa
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 08:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Do you know what I just did? I just booted into Windows and tried to use it for something other than gaming. I just knowingly and willingly loaded Internet Explorer and tried to use it. That's how much I love you guys.

Fearless, absolutely fearless Eek!

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 09:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Distractions...huh.

Could it reasonably be tweaked to show exactly what our message is going to look like, the way the new chat system shows our next post? i.e. even small details, like text color?

It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned/have heard, but it's a nice rp tool to use (as well as messaging) and having all of the same display options we have in the rest of the game in Distractions too would be nice for that reason alone. Again, I'd say nonessential, but nice.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Artist+Dragon
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 11:28 AM UTC  

Quote by: Makiwa

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Fearless, absolutely fearless Eek!

FEARLESS IS NOT THE RIGHT WORD.

he is.........giving death the middle finger, because the word of awesome that describes him DOES NOT EXIST.

Twosocks Monkey
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 11:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Distractions are nifty!

I love using color codes in distractions, and I love getting them in my email box instead of just on island.

Only thing I've ever been sad about with distractions is when I send one and forget to actually copy paste it. There's no 'sent' folder. And if I send an RP distraction and forget, WOE IS ME, continuity, out the window! (unless they respond with the original text, then all is well).

It's only happened to me twice (first time I swore it would never happen again, then I did it again).

So...adding a sent folder, even if they only lasted so long, or it could only hold a few messages, would be super extra nifty!

That is my only suggestion for making distractions better, right now they're great cause you can write them IC or OOC, and I have used them for both.

-Rose Neutral

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 02:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Since you bring it up.. The mail-forwarding in particular is crrrringe worthy. Nitpicking in bold.

Subject: New Distractions (`$Clan Withdraw: `& Titanium Plate`0)

You have received a new Distraction on Improbable Island at http://www.improbableisland.com/ Full stop missing.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
To: This is a title for Maniak
Subject: Clan Withdraw: amp; Titanium Plate
Body:
One of your clan members has resigned their membership. Titanium Plate has surrendered their position within your clan!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Do not respond directly to this email, it was sent from the game email address, and not the email address of the person who sent you the message. Double spaces. If you wish to respond, log into Improbable Island at http://www.improbableisland.com/ . Redundant space before full stop.

You may turn off these alerts in your preferences page, available after logging in.

It's worse if people have multiple colours in their name; usually takes me a while to decipher just who applied.

Otherwise, I concur with everything said in this thread. Including the Inventory Overhaul, the fearlessness and the sentbox.

Oh. One more thing. People have said before that distractions are easily missed/overlooked. Since not every browser supports the archaic and downright annoying tag, a more user-friendly notification would be nice.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Only thing I've ever been sad about with distractions is when I send one and forget to actually copy paste it. There's no 'sent' folder. And if I send an RP distraction and forget, WOE IS ME, continuity, out the window! (unless they respond with the original text, then all is well).

It's only happened to me twice (first time I swore it would never happen again, then I did it again).

So...adding a sent folder, even if they only lasted so long, or it could only hold a few messages, would be super extra nifty!

I asked about that, once, ages ago. It seems so simple! Only, the way Distractions are set up behind the scenes, it isn't, at all.

Apparently it would be easy enough to show a half-assed 'sent' folder. Trouble is, what happens when a recipient deletes a message from their inbox, as many people habitually do? It would vanish from your sentbox, too. People are used to real email systems where only they can delete from their sent folders! It would leave a terrible impression to see messages you know you sent suddenly vanish!

Someday, CMJ may well re-do Distractions so they're all clean and beautiful and work as a messaging system should. But, honestly, I think that's not anywhere close to the most important thing he could be doing right now. We've lived with them like this since the beginning of the game, and (so far as I know) they're not killing performance or anything, so we can limp along a while longer.

In the meantime... if WOE IS ME disaster happens again, ask the recipient to send it back to you. (Unless they've already deleted it by the time you realize you don't have a copy, in which case you would have been out of luck with a sentbox, too.)

Profile Email
Sneaky
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 04:16 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Make it an option to have 'older' messages automatically deleted if the inbox receives another message when it is already 'full'.

That, and being sent 'something awesome' fills the message box beyond 250 when it can, even though nothing else can get in.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine But, honestly, I think that's not anywhere close to the most important thing he could be doing right now. We've lived with them like this since the beginning of the game, and (so far as I know) they're not killing performance or anything, so we can limp along a while longer.

Gimme that old-time Distractions System
It was good for dad and mother
It's good enough for me...

The only problem I've really had with the Distraction system, besides the text problems that Maniak pointed out and that the text defaults to yellow (instead of black) underneath the textbox when typing a message, is the lack of a Sent folder. I don't remember who I've just responded to right after I send the message.

If apparently it's a giant problem, maybe this possibly be a band-aid:

When sending a Distraction, you have the option to also have a copy sent to your own inbox.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 11:14 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

When sending a Distraction, you have the option to also have a copy sent to your own inbox.

Hm, yes, but if it's a per-message option and you remembered to check that box, you could just as easily have remembered to copy-paste your distraction to a local text file. If you're thinking a global option to have all of your distractions copied and sent back to you... well, that would halve the effective size of your inbox.

Possibly there could be a preference that allowed you to ask for your sent messages to also be sent automatically to your email address, which would dump the messages into a real email system where they wouldn't be deleted unless you deleted them.

That still wouldn't solve the Distraction quirk that's burned me more times than I can remember, and has burned CMJ too -- you're composing a finely-crafted message in the Distractions page, at last you hit Send, but meanwhile, your character has timed out. Oops! Sometimes you can hit the back button and recover your carefully considered sentences, but... well. Sometimes you can't.* That's why I now tend to write longer messages in a TextEdit file rather than the Distraction page.

--
* It is a known fact that prose in an irretrievably lost file is always vastly superior to any re-creation you attempt.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 06:09 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Matthew

To be honest, I was sort of hoping the next big overhaul would be the inventory screen. Mostly, the inclusion of a drop/transfer x amount thing.

I heavily agree. The multiple items thing has been bothering me since I started playing. That would be a beautiful fix.

Also, as an IE user, (SHUT UP MAK. xD), I want to say that chat has started working for me. It mostly auto-updates, mouseovers work again.. The more fine-tuning you give it, the better it's been even compared to previous. I'm relieved.

Also, what Sessine said.
Quote by: Count+Sessine

That still wouldn't solve the Distraction quirk that's burned me more times than I can remember, and has burned CMJ too -- you're composing a finely-crafted message in the Distractions page, at last you hit Send, but meanwhile, your character has timed out. Oops! Sometimes you can hit the back button and recover your carefully considered sentences, but... well. Sometimes you can't.* That's why I now tend to write longer messages in a TextEdit file rather than the Distraction page.

--
* It is a known fact that prose in an irretrievably lost file is always vastly superior to any re-creation you attempt.

Done THAT. Super unfortunate and aggrivating..

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hm, yes, but if it's a per-message option and you remembered to check that box, you could just as easily have remembered to copy-paste your distraction to a local text file.

Disagreed. The check box in front of your face is a visual cue that reminds you to check it. There is a lack of sensory cue that reminds you to copy-paste your distraction to a text file. Of course, this also means a simply line of black text underneath the message box that says, "Remember to copy-paste your distraction to a text file!" would be a good start.

If you're thinking a global option to have all of your distractions copied and sent back to you... well, that would halve the effective size of your inbox.

This, I like. We had our size of the inbox drastically increased some time ago, if I remember correctly, and I've never had more than 20 distractions sitting in my inbox. So that would be a good use of my inbox space. And we can delete the ones we didn't need in order to receive more...

Possibly there could be a preference that allowed you to ask for your sent messages to also be sent automatically to your email address, which would dump the messages into a real email system where they wouldn't be deleted unless you deleted them.

This, I like. Maybe it doesn't need to even be a preference. I never understood why people were so annoyed at non-spam automated messages in their real email inbox: you have lots of email room in this era, and it's quite easy to Mark as Read the reminder emails from forums.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This, I like. We had our size of the inbox drastically increased some time ago, if I remember correctly, and I've never had more than 20 distractions sitting in my inbox. So that would be a good use of my inbox space. And we can delete the ones we didn't need in order to receive more...

Now, now! I hardly ever drop lower than a hundred messages, I would not like it. (Admittedly, most of them are Titan prizes, which I don't exactly care about once I read them, but can't bother to delete them. Would it be possible to delete all messages in your inbox that are from one sender?)

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.22 seconds
New Topic Post Reply