Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 Wrong Password
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 04:37 PM UTC (Read 2268 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We've got a couple different ways for people to get passwords right. How about getting them wrong? Is there a way to set up so that if someone gets a password wrong, it triggers a program? The best I've found is a way to make the program continue if the command match fails, but that's not quite the same - that'll make the program trigger if you're in the same room as it, regardless of whether or not they actually entered or not.

I'm trying to set up a program so that if the password is wrong, the person who entered it gets teleported to a different room. Short of entering a check for every possible command, how can I do this?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been trying to do that as well. What you want is something to check whether any command at all has been entered, and I don't think that that's possible. I was hoping that a Partial Match Commentary Contrivance with an empty string as the preference would work, but it won't let you do that.

My work around solution is to tell your guest that they must type 'password' and then what they think is the right answer. Then you put a Partial Match on the first line of your program set to 'password'. Then the rest of your program with multiple passwords, different things happening or whatever else you want.

Did that make sense? Confused

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I've been trying to do that as well. What you want is something to check whether any command at all has been entered, and I don't think that that's possible. I was hoping that a Partial Match Commentary Contrivance with an empty string as the preference would work, but it won't let you do that.

My work around solution is to tell your guest that they must type 'password' and then what they think is the right answer. Then you put a Partial Match on the first line of your program set to 'password'. Then the rest of your program with multiple passwords, different things happening or whatever else you want.

Did that make sense? Confused

Sort of. It makes the room a lot more complicated that I was looking for. If I'm understanding you correctly, there stil won't be a way to make it react to anything entered, but there will be multiple outcomes for multiple passwords?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Sort of. It makes the room a lot more complicated that I was looking for. If I'm understanding you correctly, there stil won't be a way to make it react to anything entered, but there will be multiple outcomes for multiple passwords?

I think what HM is saying, is you first need an Exact Match for what you want (let's say: "password Cheese"), which gives the correct outcome behind the dial saying "ALL FAIL." In the same program on the next line, have a partial match for anything with "password" in the command, so that if they don't guess "Cheese", they get sent to the dungeon! (Or wherever else you had in mind.)

The reason you want "ALL FAIL" on the dial is, if the password is not an exact match, you want the program to continue to the next line with the partial match. If I understand the dials correctly. Therefore, if the exact match is given, the program reads what's in the fifth column instead of moving down a line.

IF I understand the dials correctly. Trust me, I'm still wrapping my head around it. Neutral

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 06:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is what I'm talking about:

That's an exact match on the first line with "Show Door" as the "Good" outcome, and a partial match on the second line with "warp to room" as the "bad" outcome. The "correct" password must be at least two words, so that the "incorrect" password has something to check against.

As an aside, it seems to me you could also set the first "dial" to "Any Fail", since there's only one contrivance; and the second dial could also be set to "any/all fail" and just put the "warp" in the fifth column, so the program is only two lines. I think.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yep Trowa, that would work fine. You seem to have got the hang of dials.

It wasn't quite what I was trying to say though. I was being far too general.

A simple case of what I was trying to say was -

Put a partial match on the first row set to the word 'password'. Leave the dial alone.
On the second row put a partial match 'cheese'.
Put your show page or your warp or whatever you want to happen when the correct password is given underneath on the third row.
Now put what you want to happen if a wrong password is given in the second row escape hatch (final column).

This will also work. It will also accept as correct 'The password is "cheese"' or 'Cheesey passwords R Us!'. If you only want the exact 'Password cheese' to work, then use an Exact Match: Password Cheese in the second row instead of a partial match.

The essential point is that the Partial Match: Password in the first row means that the rest of the program won't ever get looked at unless your guest has typed at least something in, in fact something containing the word 'Password'.

What I dismally failed to get at in my first post is that you can have multiple passwords doing different things, if you want to. The sort of thing I've been doing where there are various things to look at in a room, and also you can ask for 'help', with varying responses depending on how far that somebody has got with my little puzzles.

So I have a program with lots of extra rows. The first row has a Partial Match: Look, and an Exact Match: Help. Knob = Any Pass
The next three rows are Exact Match:Help; Memory Slot = 0 - Exact Match:Help; Memory Slot = 1; Exact Match: Help, together with 'Show Page's in the escape hatches. Knobs set to Any Fail (So if none fail, ie. all pass, then the escape hatch gets fired. Otherwise the program continues to the next line.)

To get past this, somebody must have typed in Look. So the next few rows assume this and contain Partial Matches for the various objects which I've got descriptions for (together with the occasional memory check for things which appear or disappear.) Knobs are again set to Any Fail, and appropriate Show Pages put in the escape hatches.

Finally, on the bottom row, I've got a Show Page pointing to my 'I don't understand you, what are you trying to look at?' page.

So I've fitted a whole stack of different things into one program by giving each it's own line, and putting the desired outcome in the escape hatch, fiddling with the knob at the same time.

I hope that this is a bit clearer, it's a bit hard to explain. I'm in the middle of writing a tutorial page for it in the wiki which (hopefully) should make it a bit easier to understand.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

That's an exact match on the first line with "Show Door" as the "Good" outcome, and a partial match on the second line with "warp to room" as the "bad" outcome. The "correct" password must be at least two words, so that the "incorrect" password has something to check against.

As an aside, it seems to me you could also set the first "dial" to "Any Fail", since there's only one contrivance; and the second dial could also be set to "any/all fail" and just put the "warp" in the fifth column, so the program is only two lines. I think.

Yes, yes, and yes.

By the way, where are your Places? Could I come and have a sneaky look round?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 07:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

The problem with that is the first line calls the bit in the fifth column if anything fails. Without any input, the commentary command contraption automatically fails, and displays the passworded material without a password.

Here's how I got it working, per HM's suggestion:

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The problem with that is the first line calls the bit in the fifth column if anything fails. Without any input, the commentary command contraption automatically fails, and displays the passworded material without a password.

No, no, no. The first line calls the bit in the final column if anything passes. Note the knob setting. Without any input, the Exact match in the first line fails, so the whole line passes. The exact phrase wasn't entered so the program looks to the second row and checks to see if anything containing the word 'password' has been entered. If it has, then you get Warped, otherwise nothing happens.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, no, no. The first line calls the bit in the final column if anything passes. Note the knob setting. Without any input, the Exact match in the first line fails, so the whole line passes. The exact phrase wasn't entered so the program looks to the second row and checks to see if anything containing the word 'password' has been entered. If it has, then you get Warped, otherwise nothing happens.

Hrm. That's not the behavior I got.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Really? I'm intrigued now. You're sure that the door isn't already showing/unlocked whatever it is? It can be hard to tell as a keyholder sometimes.

Anyway, if you got it working some way, then all's well.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, February 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

WELL, my idea works just fine for me! ::smug::

The first row always passes when nothing is entered. Fair enough. It automatically goes to the second row. The second row will always fail if nothing is entered, so neither outcome is not spoiled.

Although, your method, Dizzy, also works - it's just opposite from mine. Wink

HM, my one and only place right now is the Titan IV Rocket at 20,26. Still working on it, I stalled out a bit the last couple months, but most of it is in place, just need to get into the programs and pages.

I left the program up at my place if you both want to try it out. From the entrance go to the Smoking Lounge, then find the elevator to the Restaurant.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, February 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been up to have a look at Titan IV Trowa, but it was locked.

The outside looked nice though.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, February 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been up to have a look at Titan IV Trowa, but it was locked.

The outside looked nice though.

Uhh....bad timing. Oops! Send me a distract and I'll let you know when it's clear.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply