Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 Getting past Onslaught to the Scrapyard
 |  Printable Version
fledermaus
 Sunday, May 13 2012 @ 05:17 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ok, okkslike chrome doesn't implement a small but vital corner of the regexp engine - rewritten the script with a slightly different approach:

http://users.pepperfish.net/vivek/ii/ii-council.user.js

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, May 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Perfect! Seems to be working now. Big Grin Thank you!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, May 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It works! Now I feel like I'm contributing!

Profile Email Website
Makiwa
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 05:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thank you code guru fledermaus - it's working for me too now! Excellent work.

I don't suppose I could persuade you to work your magic on the Quest Tracker? This has never worked for me and would be most useful. Currently I use sticky notes to keep track but, y'know, would be nice to have it on page.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
fledermaus
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 01:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

What skin are you using?

Profile Email
Omega
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Default Skin never worked for me. I haven't tested it on other skins.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
fledermaus
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Try http://users.pepperfish.net/vivek/ii/qtracker.user.js

As written, it almost certainly won't work properly on anything
other than the default skin, but I've applied some duct tape
to work around the bits not supported by chrome.

[ Annoyingly, there isn't even that much work required
for chrome to ship with a 100% compatible implementation,
they just... haven't put in the 30 minutes or so of work
to do it. Lazy so-and-sos ]

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dear fledermaus,

In these part we would say you're a *star* performer!

Chrome with the default gold is now displaying the Quest Tracker. Unfortunately it only display thusly;

Quest
Blinding Hubcap of Halitosis
Location null
Step null
Status Complete

..and not the current quest.

Whatever you did evidently poked things in the right direction.

Thank you muchly for your efforts.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Monday, May 14 2012 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Maki: It'll fix itself once you turn in your quest. Mine did! I think all it does is register what information is available. When I started mine, all values were Null, then when I found and defeated my quest monster, it updated the name and status. Then, when I turned it in, all values were updated with the next part of the quest.

The New Day Tracker is the same, which fledermaus is also tweaking. Null values at least mean it'll update once it finds the info they need, which may only be available on one page (i.e. Dan at the PSK, or the New Day screen).

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 03:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aha! In the case I shall be as patient as one has to be when questing for Dan Smile

Profile Email Website
fledermaus
 Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 11:06 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Try http://users.pepperfish.net/vivek/ii/ii-daily-status.user.js
for an updated daily status tracker. I'm a robot so most of those
stats don't exist for me, but let me know how it does or doesn't
work (and if it doesn't, which browser/version/skin).

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 02:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm... The New Day Tracker (rather, your "Daily Stats" tracker) doesn't seem to play well with the Quest Tracker.

It also doesn't seem to know what my hunger level is, which I find to be rather important...but I'm a Joker, so that stat is never blatantly given to me, the player, until I eat something. So, I'm not sure how the previous version got that information.

Profile Email
fledermaus
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The quest tracker injects its info into the page in a somewhat
dodgy way - instead of walking the DOM and creating table
cells in the right place, it looks at the raw HTML and attempts
to change it. It needs a bit of work to make it play well
with others.

As to the other stats, as far as I can see it only harvests
info on the newday page, so you may well be seeing stale info
from it (eg from the last time you were a joker).

I'll have to do a run as a non-robot to pick up the info I need.

And fix the quest tracker.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 01:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ahh.... Okay! So the New Day Tracker is really only good for non-Joker and non-robot characters. It's probably useful for WCG folks, though? (Of which I'm not because reasons....) I suppose that's alright. I was hoping the tracker was extracting information from some hidden source so I could see what my hunger levels were for picking the days to maximize my stamina at Mutated Munchies. Laughing Out Loud

(I was just realizing we should probably make a new thread for all these non-council-office-related GM scripts...)

So, back on topic: Are we starting to see some daily patterns yet? I try to get on in the mornings now to log the threat levels. It feels like we're back in the pattern of early-morning threat levels rising while there's fewer people online.

Profile Email
fledermaus
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 05:29 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I've updated my daily status script to track hunger too.
It harvests the 'still hungry/room for more' etc message
after you eat at a restaurant, cook up a kill, or eat a
rat pack (or chug an energy drink).

http://users.pepperfish.net/vivek/ii/ii-daily-status.user.js

Let me know how it works.

As to levels... the monster increase rate is randomised
per outpost, and also tied to the number of people who have
been logged on (anywhere on the island) in the last "while".

So if there were a lot of people on a while ago, and now
nobody's around, any outpost with a high spawn rate is going
to head into trouble.

I think we can see that in the patterns, although the random
nature of the spawn rate might cloud the issue.

Kitt and NH never seem to be in any kind of danger. I'm not sure
anyone even needs to fight there to keep them safe.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, May 24 2012 @ 03:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*bump*

So, who else is reporting the outpost alerts? Sometimes I feel like the only one when I peek into the spreadhseet. I can pinpoint all the ones I've done in a day, and (at least this week) it seems like I only catch one or two others who've poked the buttons until later in the evenings.

Of course, we're also in Finals / Graduation season, so I imagine the higher alerts this week are due to that, too.

Profile Email
fledermaus
 Friday, May 25 2012 @ 12:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I report, but I'm quite often in an outpost with no council,
so I don't get to report those.

We could make a character whose sole purpose would be to sit in
newhome council and report every 15 minutes or something, and
leave it running automated, and then scrub the manual submissions
entirely.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, May 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: fledermaus

We could make a character whose sole purpose would be to sit in newhome council and report every 15 minutes or something, and leave it running automated, and then scrub the manual submissions entirely.

We could -- but it would be wrong. Characters who exist only to run a script are against the whole spirit of the game.

Besides, it would kind of kill the fun of the project. Half the enjoyment of checking the sheet is seeing that, hey, someone else has just posted a report! Probably with a sense of achievement, because their outpost has been pushed down one or three levels.

(I do throw in a report if I see that there's been a big interval since the last one.)

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 27 2012 @ 03:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

We could make a character whose sole purpose would be to sit in newhome council and report every 15 minutes or something, and leave it running automated, and then scrub the manual submissions entirely.

We could -- but it would be wrong. Characters who exist only to run a script are against the whole spirit of the game.

Besides, it would kind of kill the fun of the project. Half the enjoyment of checking the sheet is seeing that, hey, someone else has just posted a report! Probably with a sense of achievement, because their outpost has been pushed down one or three levels.

(I do throw in a report if I see that there's been a big interval since the last one.)

I disagree with your assessment. We're making a character to run a script in order to collect data for the developer's sake. To find out, "Hey, the previous changes implemented have fixed a problem with the game." The fact that we players are taking the initiative instead of the single, time-constrained developer should not stop us from doing the job thoroughly and comprehensively simply because it uses a script. It doesn't have anything to do with exploiting nor providing an unfair advantage to anyone.

I also don't understand how "the fun is ruined" when it comes to handing in the TPS reports. Perhaps there's a sense of community there, and that's fine, but I don't find that enough of an excuse against leaving a fire-and-forget bot to record data, which we can then check weekly.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, May 27 2012 @ 05:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I disagree with your assessment. We're making a character to run a script in order to collect data for the developer's sake. To find out, "Hey, the previous changes implemented have fixed a problem with the game." The fact that we players are taking the initiative instead of the single, time-constrained developer should not stop us from doing the job thoroughly and comprehensively simply because it uses a script. It doesn't have anything to do with exploiting nor providing an unfair advantage to anyone.

I also don't understand how "the fun is ruined" when it comes to handing in the TPS reports. Perhaps there's a sense of community there, and that's fine, but I don't find that enough of an excuse against leaving a fire-and-forget bot to record data, which we can then check weekly.

I think you are overestimating the usefulness to CMJ of abstract raw data, and underestimating the feedback effect of dynamic, interactive data-gathering that involves players.

Onslaught is designed so that player activity is a crucial part of the balance. This is good. It's what makes it interesting. The goal is not to smooth out the average threat level to compensate exactly for changes in player activity. If that were possible, and it succeeded, it would negate the whole point of the module. Rather, the goal is to have outpost threats that are real, but -- with effort -- beatable.

If you look at the Average Threat Level tab of Buddleia's spreadsheet, you can see that right now, Onslaught is working pretty well. The average threat across all outposts is 3.4, and there are outbreaks, but no outpost stays breached for long, and green is the normal state of affairs, with yellow and orange being exceptions. There's a daily cycle, and a perceptible Friday Effect.

But that's with players actively responsible for contributing data. Remove that factor, hand the data collection over to a bot, and I predict we would see more of a Let George Do It feeling creeping in. The result would be more weekends like the one we had a month ago, when we were first setting this up, with most outposts flaring bright orange and red, only KT and NH remaining green.

There are times when "more automation" is the wrong answer.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.60 seconds
New Topic Post Reply