Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Free grids.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM UTC (Read 2405 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Buddleia's put her finger on something here.

Quote by: Buddleia (from different thread).

... if I create Pages and use Run Programs to avoid paying for extra programming rows/columns/grids because the Flow Control Knob only has one escape Escape Hatch ...

It's possible to avoid ever having to buy a new grid. If you want multiple programs in a room, then just build a hidden page for each program and then have one program on your main page with several Run Program Contraptions. In many cases it's even a little more elegant. (Elegant = Easier to see what's going on = Less likely to make mistakes = Easier to change.) For example if you find that you want to change the order that programs run in (as has happened to me) then this way all you have to do is swap round a few Contraptions. There are other reasons as well. The way programming is set up encourages this behaviour somewhat, even before considering the money aspects.

Unfortunately it also comes under the heading "Something that means that we get for free what CMJ is charging for in order to keep the server running/food on his table". That to me seems a problem.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we stopped getting a free grid with every page (although kept them for each room).

It would still be possible to get round this by building a new room for each program, but that's far less elegant (your programs are all over the place instead of being nicely grouped with each room) and it's much more of a pain, so people are more likely to just say "Sod it, I'll buy me a grid."

Just saying.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I believe that CMJ is aware of this fact.. he posted back in the "I'm doing a thiiiing" thread...

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: quinn

I was about to say the Escape hatch had limited execution with only the only slot, but then I realized you could just put a Run Program in there and all of a sudden I want to get back to programming...

YESSSS. You can have an empty Room that nobody goes in, and you can fill it with Pages and Programs, and that's like a lib file.

A lib file that you can walk around in.

There is plenty more to spend money on to make places better.. But between the run program and the new weather options, there is lass need for multiple grids on a room, you can make a page for it.. but then getting a new grid can just be easier for more simpler things.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 09:49 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I guess you'll just have to donate anyway and give some Cookies to some Rookies.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Fair enough then. I'll spend my money on memories instead.

Talking of memories, those things are rather prohibitively expensive. If they're being used for objects say, then 800 SP an object is quite a lot. If you're going to have those at all then you'll likely want at least four or five. I suspect that a lot of people are going mad thinking of twenty or thirty. Or more. Given the cost, they're more likely to just not bother at all and have none. I realise that they take up server load and all that, but could we have tools to fit a few more things in a memory?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, March 16 2012 @ 02:37 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hmm. I think it'd be better if you suggested a price to me.

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, March 16 2012 @ 03:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Hmm. I think it'd be better if you suggested a price to me.

Ooo! One! Two! 37! 364! Eight! Twelve! 60!

And that's Numberwang! Now it's time to rotate the board!

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, March 16 2012 @ 06:00 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

WANGERNUMB

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Friday, March 16 2012 @ 02:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Memories.. memories I'm not sure what a idea price for the more cash strapped ones.. like myself. I have two reasons why I haven't gotten my first one yet.. well 3 1. I've only just recently started to understand the possible applications beyond keeping track of people. 2. I'm broke right now, be a little bit yet before I can donate and the $8 is a bit steep looking, I'm more likely to go after cookies, or quills instead. the third reason is that I've gotten a bit lazy on the writing side.. I admit it..

I'd say.. like about $6-7 though not a big change.. makes it look more like the hyper ring or other deluxe items that I conciter affordable for multiple purchases.

Am I right in thinking you can have more then one chip in a place? say have one track a person's path and another chip for experimenting with how to do hp based battles...

Or maybe as a alternative, if you can have more then one chip in a place maybe make a 3 pack with a discount? It might encourage people who might want to do such a project to donate more to get the bundle.. similar to the quills.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Friday, March 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Having been the inspiration for this thread, I hesitate to weigh in ... but rest assured, everyone, I am planning to expand some of my grids for SP, and I do donate. I'm not a total cheapskate.

Cheapskatiness aside, I would vote for a Memory price-reduction too. I just bought two - having celebrated the new Master Settings page with a $10 donation - but am not currently planning to buy any more. If they were, say, 400 SP instead of 800, then they could be more of an impulse or experimental buy, less of a "hmm, if I save up, and plan exactly what I will be doing with them, having already exhausted all the non-Memory possibilities....".

(The ones I bought are memories 64 and 65 - so, as currently priced, they have only raised $520 for CMJ in, what, when did they come out? With Places in September? Six months ago? That's like ninety dollars a month worth of sales, if so. Not inconsiderable, but it won't pay the rent or feed the lions.)

LydiaDefountaine - yes, you can has multiple Memories. (When you install your first, it gives you a new menu from the Program menu - Edit Place Memories. You can then name the chip, and start setting up programs that alter and/or check the numbers in it.) Your idea of a bundle is good, too - buy two, get one half price? Buy four for the price of three? BOGOF? Tesco "Value" memories! Good evening shoppers, tonight's special offer...

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 01:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So then with multiple memories... bundle packs would definitely be a way to encourage people to buy more. And mayb.. mini memories as a idea.. for those that have buildin plans that just need a small value being kept track of say just 1 memory slot.. like for the lift idea that someone had. They only want to keep track of a small number but it could help.. perhaps.. that or the set 000x00 memory contraption or something...

I'm just shooting off ideas..

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't drop the price, but increase the value of what you sell.

You get a handful of memory related C&Cs with each Memory Purchase, so you can immediately start playing with your new toy. This way they require less planning and people won't go "Hurr durr what do I do with this thing anyway." This makes the threshold to buy them a bit lower.

Otherwise, excellent guides like the ones Hairy Mary wrote will make a Memory sell easier. You're not going to buy something if you don't know what it is.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 10:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another problem:

- Buying a new Grid: 100 SP.
- Setting a build job for a new Page and using the Complete Job Now button (which was also suggested by me ... oh dear) to get a Grid and a Page: 50 SP.

Looks like a little price adjustment should be in order.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 04:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Don't drop the price, but increase the value of what you sell.

I disagree with that idea. I'm a cheapy-cheapy-cheapskate, raised by one to be one, and that's compounded by recent financial woes. I'm part of the downmarket; in order to sell to me, you need to offer me a lower price. I will not buy a $60 game until two years later, when it's been reduced to $40 and then on sale by the retailer for 50% off. I don't care what you're giving me at $60, because I would be paying $60 on a game.

Considering this is a free-to-play game, I'm sure there's plenty of silent people like me.

I don't know how much income CMJ gets from SP-to-finish-build-jobs. I don't know how popular that is. But I interpret the ability to get Grids the same way as the ability to do build jobs.

I can spend 60 logs and 20 stone and X% stamina to finish this job, or I can spend 50 SP.

I can spend... 20? logs and 5? stone and X% stamina and a Run Program contraption to get another grid, or I can spend 100 SP.

If you're not getting enough sales from 100 SP grids, then maybe you should lower the price. Buddleia's right, it should at least be cheaper than the semi-workaround.

Actually, would it be wrong to ask which Programming-/Place-related Lodge items bring in the most money?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.11 seconds
New Topic Post Reply