Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 One player altering the Place for everyone
 |  Printable Version
Ada
 Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 04:08 PM UTC (Read 2693 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like to know if it's possible for one player's actions to alter the appearance of a Place for everyone. I know that it's possible to track one player's actions with memories - so, for example, a player could pull a lever in one room, and walk into another room and find that something had changed because of the action. But what if I want the whole Place to change because of the one action?

For example, what if I have a window in my room, with text saying that you can feel the breeze. There are four people in the room. One person types /close the window. I know that I can use a commentary command and show page to give this player text saying that the room is stuffy and there is no air. But is there some way to tell all four players that the window has been closed?

Or, another example: there are four rooms that use the same lightswitch. If a player types /turn on lights, I can track them with a memory so that the lights show as on in every one of the rooms. But is there any way to show the other players in the Place that the lights have been turned on?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, April 06 2012 @ 01:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No.
Place Memory has been proposed though. Possibly by you, now that I think about it.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, April 07 2012 @ 08:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is the biggest shortcoming of programming. I could use this option.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, April 07 2012 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It would make Places more awesome, sometimes, with a sense of a shared world.

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, April 08 2012 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, I would really like for this to be possible. It seemed very obvious, so I'd assumed it could be done, but once I had a look at how Places programming is set up, there was no way I could see. I was hoping someone had found something I hadn't, or that there was some sort of creative workaround.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, April 08 2012 @ 05:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Best workaround is actually just Roleplaying it?

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, April 08 2012 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That would defeat the purpose of using Places programming at all.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, April 08 2012 @ 03:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well... I totally see your point. And it would be nice if it worked, but the way I see it, it's not totally terrible that it doesn't.

For example:

People can still enjoy your Place with the fancy programming, but will just have to Roleplay doing it in a group. IE: It's not infrequent to see people Roleplaying in the PSK that one of the 'random encounters' has just happened to them. Now not everyone will have seen that 'random encounter' text at that moment, but most people who visit the PSK on a regular basis know that there is a chance that the shady guy will want to do business, or that a drunk might need help finding their seat.

Example:

[timestamp] Person A walks into the bar and waves to Dan, takes a seat and orders a drink.
[timestamp] Person B stumbles into the PSK, bumps into a shady figure and pauses to chat.
[timestamp] Person A glances over at Person B and tries to get their attention.
[timestamp] Person B shakes their head NO emphatically at the shady figure, then pushes him away and makes her way to the bar. She sits next to Person A. "Did you see that guy? Trying to pull one over on me."

That sorta thing.

Sometimes Roleplaying out the things that we can't all see at once is just as satisfying as 'everyone seeing that text' at the same time.

It isn't what you're looking for, and I understand, but if everyone then clicks the 'open the window' page after player one Roleplays doing it, they'll all see the same text and can react accordingly.

(Granted, I have roleplayed in a text adventure game where what you're asking for DID work, and it was neat, so it would be cool if it worked that way as well, just offering up a solution for the here and now).

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Monday, April 09 2012 @ 12:00 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Just tossing my hat into the ring: do want.

The 'just RP it!' solution is easy, but I feel as though this would not be impossible to implement and the time spent thinking about how to do it would be trebled in terms of its value to Places in the long run.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, April 09 2012 @ 01:45 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It's coming. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, April 09 2012 @ 02:01 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

It's coming. Mr. Green

Hip hip Hurray!! Big Grin

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, April 09 2012 @ 03:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's coming. Mr. Green

Yesssssssssssssssssssss. I await this anxiously and impatiently.

...CMJ, you must announce something equally momentous with your next post. It is your 2000th. We can throw you a small party. You will wear a tiny paper hat.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, April 09 2012 @ 04:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's coming. Mr. Green

Dammit, CMJ, I didn't have a chance to foam at the mouth and demand this while hiding my arguments behind ad hominem attacks and vitriolic language.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 06:47 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It's here!

Preface the name of any Memory with the word GLOBAL (yes, in all-caps) and it'll become a place-wide Memory.

(you can rename your Memories without having to reconfigure Contraptions or Contrivances that point to those Memories - they're referenced internally by a numeric ID rather than by the name of the Memory. You might want to re-enter parameters anyway, so that the names match, or it could prove confusing later on)

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's here!

Preface the name of any Memory with the word GLOBAL (yes, in all-caps) and it'll become a place-wide Memory.

(you can rename your Memories without having to reconfigure Contraptions or Contrivances that point to those Memories - they're referenced internally by a numeric ID rather than by the name of the Memory. You might want to re-enter parameters anyway, so that the names match, or it could prove confusing later on)

Ooo! I can't wait to see what wacky hi-jinks ensue in Places, now!

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.21 seconds
New Topic Post Reply