Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 Program not firing
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 04:41 PM UTC (Read 6323 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In the place I'm working on, there is a big red button that will deploy food-based weaponry when pressed. I have it set up on pages. The first page is called "Push the Big RED Button", and is blank. Then comes "Button Pressed", which has the text for pressing the button, and "Food Fight Cleanup", which has the text for cleaning up. The latter two are inaccessible save through programs.

I just added a global memory so that everyone will see the food fight text when it is running. On the "Push the Big RED Button" page, there is an increment memory contraption. However, it does not fire. Looking at debugging, it does not even try to fire. What's going on?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 01:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hang on... How many programs can you run simultaneously?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Hang on... How many programs can you run simultaneously?

Sequentially, in one page load? As many as you want I'd always thought. Although you can't run the same program more than twice or else your Place will get caught in an infinite loop and refuse to run it the third time.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Might this possibly be due to petition 668 (global memory not working)?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, April 18 2012 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Might this possibly be due to petition 668 (global memory not working)?

After testing, this is the problem.

Fuck.

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 04:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP, I WANT TO EAT MY KEYBOARD.

I have:

Two 'Partial Match Commentary Command' Contrivances in columns 1 and 2, row one, the flow control knob on row one set to 'ALL PASS', a 'Show Door' Contraption in the Escape Hatch, and a 'Show Page' Contraption in column 1, row 1.

The 'Show Page', and attached command work fine.

The door that I have set to hidden, however, shows all the time. Please help!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 05:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait, what do you want to do with the door exactly? You have it to show in the escape hatch, but in front of the escape hatch is your commentary commands. This means that, until someone inputs the correct command, the door will show. That means every time the room it's on is loaded - because it loads before the user gets a chance to input the command. When do you want the door to show/hide?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The logic flow is hard to wrap your head around. As described - I'm going to assume that's a typo and you meant that the Show Page is in row 2 column 1 - then what it does is:

- Have they entered both of the commentary commands? If they have, show the page. If they have not, show the door.

What exactly are you trying to do with the program?

I'm going to guess that you want "If they do either of the commentary commands, show the hidden door, and if they don't, show the page". To do that (assuming that the Show Page is in row 2 column 1 - and if it isn't, move it there), turn the Flow Control Knob to Any Pass.

If what you wanted was "If they do either or both of the commentary commands, show the door and show the page": have your Partial Matches on the top row, and the Show Door and Show Page on the row below them, and set FCK to Any Pass or All Pass as desired.

I think those should work, assuming that the door is set to be hidden in Master Settings. If I guessed wrong, please say! As a last resort, take a screenshot of your grid and post it.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think he probably meant to have what you say he has, Budd: two secret words, and if you say them both at once, the door hides itself and the page shows. In which case, the door showing after the words are spoken would be weird. I don't suppose things can simultaneously pass and fail? Or even just in the same page load? Would the debugger (heh heh) be of use here?

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

I think he probably meant to have what you say he has, Budd: two secret words, and if you say them both at once, the door hides itself and the page shows. In which case, the door showing after the words are spoken would be weird. I don't suppose things can simultaneously pass and fail? Or even just in the same page load? Would the debugger (heh heh) be of use here?

Then what he should do is have the door set to show, not hide, and have a hide door on the second line, with the show page.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 05:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP, I WANT TO EAT MY KEYBOARD.

This line legitimizes CMJ's C&C programming as a true, professional-grade programming language.

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was doing what FML said.

Ada & Budd- THANK YOU. Your first suggestions gave me an idea, and it works!

(I also have a 'HIDE ROOM DESCRIPTION' in there, because I can't get the 'hide room' setting to work for some reason)

I wanted the door to show only with one particular commentary command, but the page to show with the same command as the door, as well as a different one.

So I faked it! And it WORKS!

row 1, column 1 : 'PARTIAL MATCH COMMENTARY COMMAND' row 1, column 2: 'PARTIAL MATCH COMMENTARY COMMAND' flow knob: 'ANY PASS'
row 2, column 1: 'SHOW PAGE' row 2, column2: 'HIDE ROOM DESCRIPTION' row 2, column 3: 'PREVIOUS ROOM' flow knob: 'ALL PASS' escape hatch: 'SHOW DOOR'

Mr. Green

Fred: Yes. Yes it does.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, June 11 2012 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Did you mean that you want the page to show when either commentary command is used, or when both are used? Also, what has the Previous Room got to do with it? Or is that a different condition that amounts to the same thing somehow?

---

Why the 'hide room' setting doesn't work.

This is how it works. At any given time, your guest is in a room and (possibly) a page. When they click on a Look Round This Area link, then they move to that page. This is the only way that they can move to a page. A Show Page DOES NOT move a guest to the shown page. All it does is show that page. The hide room setting only works for the page that your guest is actually in, not any that happen to be shown.

So in summary, the hide room setting only works if your guest has actively clicked on the link to the page so set. Merely showing a page won't do a damn thing is this regard.

Note: If you want to get a guest off a page, then I THINK (in fact am fairly sure, but not absolutely certain) that you can use a Warp to Room Contraption pointing to the room that they're already in. There are pitfalls here, any pages that you've already decided to show will disappear at warp time, and it will start again with deciding what to show. Any changes to Thoughts or Memories will stay. I'm not sure what happens to page/room links, but I think that it will start again with those as well.

But I repeat that I'm not sure about this. I'm still experimenting. So if anybody has any extra insight here, then share the info!

EDIT: Share the info, or better still, write a wiki page on the subject.

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 07:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Did you mean that you want the page to show when either commentary command is used, or when both are used? Also, what has the Previous Room got to do with it? Or is that a different condition that amounts to the same thing somehow?

I wanted the page to show when only one particular command is used, and the hidden door I have attached to this program to show when the other particular command is used.

What worked, however, was having the Page show when the one particular command is used, and when the other command is used, as well as the door showing when the second command is used, but only showing the door with giving the second command (which I have written so that there's almost no way that the player will guess it until after they see the hint that they need to use that command to see something else written in the next room over)...
AND having Previous Room only let the door be seen if the player has been anywhere BUT the room this program is in.

Clear as MUD? Mr. Green

Also, thanks much for the 'Hide Room' setting explanation. I feel less insane!!

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 01:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not entirely sure that I follow all the details, but I understand the MUD reference.

where is this? Can I have a look?Or do I have to wait until you've finished?

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Certainly! 15, 38 "a jungle-brown bunker".

The two rooms in question are 'the bunker proper' and 'spiral staircase'.

I've got several programs running in there, but only a few (or was it just one?) are active. Most of them are passive, and chat command-activated. I tried to set it up very old style text-based game (i.e. "/look at door", "pick up rock", etc.). The hints for what to type are all in the room and the page descriptions.

Please, be brutal in your review! And thanks! (I need to make sure I didn't break anything...)

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Probably not the most elegant solution, but if I'm understanding you correctly (I am not convinced that I am, so bear with me) you can do it simply with two programs. Just have one of the commentary commands in each program. (One on the room and one on a hidden page in the room, for example. The command on the page will still work even if the player hasn't clicked on the page link.)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Probably not the most elegant solution, but if I'm understanding you correctly (I am not convinced that I am, so bear with me) you can do it simply with two programs. Just have one of the commentary commands in each program. (One on the room and one on a hidden page in the room, for example. The command on the page will still work even if the player hasn't clicked on the page link.)

Have I understood you here? A program on a page won't run unless either
a) Your guest is on that page - or
b) A Run Program Contraption is fired which points to this page.

The second option is simple enough, put the Run Program right at the beginning of the main room program.

Now, putting one program on a separate page, but not the other. I would put both on seperate pages. I reckon that putting virtually all your little programs on separate pages and have Run Programs pointing to them is good practice. It makes your programs more elegant. Ie. Easier to understand, easier to spot and fix bugs and easier to change at a later date should the need arise.

BUT - It also means not paying for grids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting all moral at you here Ada, I do this myself, and I suspect that quite a large majority of programmers do as well. But it is avoiding paying CMJ for something he's explicitly trying to charge for. Given his current financial situation, that's a bit...iffy.

I've said before, and I'll say it again, not giving free grids with pages seems acceptable to me. In fact it seems like a good idea. You can still get your free grids by building rooms instead, but it takes a lot more effort.

Last time I said this CMJ dismissed the idea. My interpretation of that is that he dislikes charging for things, and would rather give them away free. What's more important money or people? Not giving free grids seems like the first small step down a slippery slope in the wrong direction.

CMJ, I've got a huge respect for you for this attitude, I really have. Far too many people put money as the more important, and that's the cause of a lot of the world's problems. So people are far, far more important than money, but money's important. It's useful stuff.

I'd suggest you think about this again. You do need to look after yourself, because if you're not doing that, then you can't help anybody else. If you become so strapped that the Island goes under, then you're not helping anybody at all.

Just my opinion there.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 14 2012 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Interesting! I don't think it used to be like that, because I remember setting up commands on a page and being able to /action from anywhere in the room. But I just moved a program to a separate page in a room and tried it, and it didn't work unless I was on a page. Did it get changed, or was I just confused?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 14 2012 @ 01:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As far as I know it's always been like this. I've been using it like this quite a lot. It's rather useful, if you want to do something depending on what page they're on.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply