Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 I just thought of a brilliant thing
 |  Printable Version
Black jacques
 Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 01:58 AM UTC (Read 6195 times)  
Forum Newbie

What if there was, like... food at AceHigh? So it wasn't always totally deserted and all the players weren't always in two outposts?

What if this food gave random stamina boosts?

And occasionally took away stamina?

And cost different amounts every day?

Wouldn't that be wild?!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 03:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh no, you see, we need AceHigh to have almost nothing of interest so we can safely abandon it to the monsters. Twisted Evil

In other news, yep, sounds good. Now begins the competition to create the best dishes, restaurant, and proprietor!

Profile Email Website
jakell
 Monday, April 30 2012 @ 01:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Now, the best restaurant on the island would be neat, but what if the restaurant was a little more... joker-ey? I am thinking that the food itself could give you random amounts of stamina, mirroring good/bad joker days. We could do this one of two ways;

You could have one dish, which would give you a random amount of stamina (anywhere from 1-100%), and fill you up a random amount (1-15 bites, out of the 40ish you can have per starving day). This is a very course meal, but has the potential to be better or worse then anything else on the island.

Though, you could instead break it up into a few different meal levels. there would be cheap, medium , and expensive food, and the cheap food could fill you up with 1-3 bites, and give you anywhere from 1 to 10% stamina, the medium food could go up a level more, 5-8 bites and anywhere from 10-20& stamina, and the expensive stuff could fill you up by 10-15 bites, but give 20-70 % stamina.

The second option is probably vastly superior, because then you have a bit of influence over what stamina range you expect to get, but the potential for a horrible meal or a meal better then any on the island would exist. And, you could break it up into more sections if people wanted.

It could be fun if the stamina you got varied a bit more, too, but has weighted probabilities. The cheap food, for example, might have a 60% chance of 1-5% stamina, 37% chance of 5-10% stamina, 2% chance of upwards of 20% stamina, and 1% chance of 30% stamina.

Negative bites could be interesting too, even if there was just a small possibility it could happen. "You eat the food, and feel hungrier then when you started". Negative stamina would be... cruel, but also programmable. A mystery food could randomly fill you up from anywhere between -5 and +15 bites, and give you between -5 and +100% stamina... that could be interesting!

As for food titles, they could serve up Jester Java, Three Stooge Stew, and Harlequin Herring. Alliteration, fun though it is, might not be necessary though.

Profile Email
jakell
 Monday, April 30 2012 @ 01:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Potentially, you could also have the Ace High food selection mirror one of the other island food choices, changing each newday. It would require another few bytes of character info that would change each newday, so that each character could see a different menu, but it could be an interesting twist on an eating establishment.

Profile Email
Carric
 Monday, April 30 2012 @ 02:37 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

This sounds awesome. I think the negative bites would be a good idea but also, what if instead of mirroring another resturant for the names of the food choices, each dish is individually chosen from among the other available dishes on the Island, with the same price but also with a chance to give less or more stamina than usual?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, April 30 2012 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: jakell

Now, the best restaurant on the island would be neat, but what if the restaurant was a little more... joker-ey?

That's what I meant by "best", good sir! Flavor all the way!

Here are my ideas:

Whimsically-Named Gelatin
The gimmick of this food is that you find random things in it. Some req, a grenade, a cig, a grenade what explodes in your face, `w+1, etc. The quality of the food, i.e. bites and stam, are irrelevant. The price should be low.

Your Daily Serving of Meat
A piece of steak in the case of a pack of playing cards. Since it is the approved daily serving of meat for adults, it gives you the stam of 3-5 bites of Tasty Meat, with no bites or fat. However, that only happens once per NewDay. After that, it acts like just 3-5 pieces of Tasty Meat.

The Bar Game
Tangential, but whatever. You put five Req in, pull the crank, some weird symbols flash at you (taking several clicks to navigate through them), and ten Req comes out. This will baffle everyone. But it will just be that simple.

Profile Email Website
Black jacques
 Tuesday, May 01 2012 @ 10:01 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: jakell

Now, the best restaurant on the island would be neat, but what if the restaurant was a little more... joker-ey? I am thinking that the food itself could give you random amounts of stamina, mirroring good/bad joker days..

But... this is exactly what I suggested originally. Idea-stealer. I'm going to pout in the corner.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 12:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It is just the obvious idea. If he were stealing, he'd steal something more valuable.

Profile Email Website
Nekops
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 01:30 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So... you know how Cyber City 404 has the Glass and Mirror stuff that works only for Robots? Basically a special food they can actually consume, which just gives anyone else a sunburn?

Well, what if Ace High had a similar thing for Jokers? Have them sell a beaker of Improbiated Water (irradiated with improbability) that glows green and resets their Joker day buffs... that way, if you get one of those days when you're just bleeding to death from dawn to dusk you can try again for a better one... for a fee. You could only try once per day, so you'd be stuck with the second outcome... but that's better than what you started with, right?

It could also add a bit of stamina, equivalent to a decent food item, in order to tempt you to drink it even if today isn't particularly sucky for you.

This would have the advantage of actually forcing Jokers to visit home every once in a while, and since getting out there on a horrible game day could be daunting, it might actually get Jokers to hang out there regularly.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Nekops

[...cool idea]

This would have the advantage of actually forcing* tempting Jokers to visit home every once in a while, and since getting out there on a horrible game day could be daunting, it might actually get Jokers to hang out there regularly.

There, fixed it for you. Mr. Green

Jokers used to have a "Reroll your Day" ability in Season One -- it was a tough decision, because it would maybe cost you the chance to Vanish during a tough fight, and you had to weigh the chance that you'd end up worse off.

==
* Trying to force Jokers to do anything is generally, um... unwise. But, I've noticed, they can be lured very easily!

Profile Email
Nekops
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 05:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Vanish being a "run away" option that also didn't make it over from Season One, with a charge cost like the Spatial Awareness implant? I'm guessing?

It seems like the option to get rid of your bad Joker days (or try to, anyway) would be a good thing to bring back... the prospect of having completely useless game days and being stuck with them is one of the major reasons I personally don't play a Joker. I like a bit more consistency* than that, and I'd be surprised if people wouldn't trend towards an outpost that offered the chance to redeem their useless days.

Something that added an extra card to their hands would also be interesting... unlike most food/buffs, it would actually be most useful later in the day, once you've got four or five cards and have stopped getting them every few rounds... charging a couple hundred Req for your seventh hand card or so, when you have less stamina to use it but aren't likely to get one any other way, would be an interesting "is it worth it/should I get it yet" choice.

===
*Yes, I realize that this is the wrong game to play if I want things to stay constant. Now shush. :-P

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 07:24 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Jokers were completely different in Season One. The ability to 'Vanish' wasn't like running away, it was more like a ZAP grenade -- your enemy didn't know where you were and couldn't see to hit you.

Inconsistency, though? For me, the whole point of being a Season Two Joker is inconsistency. Yes, there are bad days, but there are also amazing days. Once one learns how to adapt to the constantly shifting numbers, I find it far more interesting to play than any other race. Going back to playing a more stable race sets my mind staggering for a while like a sailor on shore leave! ("Okay, New Day, what did I get...? Oh, of course. The same as yesterday. And the day before. And the day before that. And... Bah. It's not ever going to be any different, is it? Better finish this up ASAP so I can get back to Joker.")

As for characters with enough DKs to have access to Joker, here's what's been currently chosen:

Joker - 257
Kittymorph - 83
Midget - 79
Human - 55
Robot - 23
Zombie - 18
Mutant - 18

Those numbers have undoubtedly caught some inveterate Jokers in the midst of a single covert run as Human in order to catch the second-latest plot point. So it's not like there's any shortage of Jokers in the game. They're just choosing to do much of their jungle fighting somewhere other than AceHigh.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 09:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or indeed, not jungling at all. I'm sure a great many are roleplay-only characters, or they spend their time building or thwacking titans.

A reroll sounds great to me, but at the same time - there's a clear preference for jokers. As cool as a reroll would be, I don't know if we need to encourage people to become jokers any more than we already do. Razz

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 10:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm surprised that there's as many as 18 zombies. They're not all role playing...are they?

Profile Email
Nekops
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 10:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Ada

A reroll sounds great to me, but at the same time - there's a clear preference for jokers. As cool as a reroll would be, I don't know if we need to encourage people to become jokers any more than we already do. Razz

Definitely a good point... the various races (with the possible exception of Human) ARE supposed to be viable, fun options, not something you simply speed through on your way to the last one (unless you want to, of course). They should be different in flavor and abilities, but the concept of a 'best' one ought to be more a matter of personal opinion than a mathematical fact.

That said, neat, race-specific thingies that tie races to their homes pave the way for each other. Ace High is not the only outpost that could use a heightened population... New Pittsburg, Squat Hole, and to a lesser extent Pleasantville could all use something to draw folks in (Cyber City 404 already having theirs). No idea what those could be, but you're right in saying (at least by omission) that non-Joker races could certainly stand to gain some new incentives.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 11:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Something that added an extra card to their hands would also be interesting... unlike most food/buffs, it would actually be most useful later in the day, once you've got four or five cards and have stopped getting them every few rounds... charging a couple hundred Req for your seventh hand card or so, when you have less stamina to use it but aren't likely to get one any other way, would be an interesting "is it worth it/should I get it yet" choice.

Hmm. That could be a random thing in Your Daily Serving of Meat. As in, they serve the meat in a card case, and sometime forget to take out a card.

That said, neat, race-specific thingies that tie races to their homes pave the way for each other. Ace High is not the only outpost that could use a heightened population... New Pittsburg, Squat Hole, and to a lesser extent Pleasantville could all use something to draw folks in (Cyber City 404 already having theirs). No idea what those could be, but you're right in saying (at least by omission) that non-Joker races could certainly stand to gain some new incentives.

I would wager a small sum of Req that ties are, or at least were, the problem. Assuming, that is, that there is/was a problem with the distribution of players. Take a look at the two most popular cities, NewHome and Kittania. I say "popular" because they're the only two places I can reliably join a conversation. Then look at the places that have had a race- & place-specific buff for a long time. At this point I'm going to claim CC404's doesn't count, being to0 recent, and Kitt has one in the form of turquoise spring water, which is really quite useful in getting any fighting done at all as a Kittymorph. That leaves us with, again, NewHome and Kittania. Coincidence? ...Maybe.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 01:21 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Numbers are useful. I just took a look at characters who have been active in the last week, and how many of them are 'located' right at this moment in their home outposts. This is only a rough measure, because many of these people are really on the map, or in a Place, but it still does give an indication.

Humans, unsurprisingly, top the list -- 50.37% in NewHome.

Jokers, wild and footloose creatures that they are, are hardly ever at home, with only 4.73% in AceHigh. The rest are in between:

Human, 344 of 683: 50.37%
Kittymorph, 68 of 198: 34.34%
Joker, 7 of 148: 4.73%
Midget, 10 of 63: 15.87%
Zombie, 16 of 58: 27.59%
Robot, 11 of 30: 36.67%
Mutant, 7 of 29: 24.14%

(Note that these numbers aren't the same as the earlier ones because they are not filtered by a DK minimum, but are filtered to include only those active in the last week.)

Edited to add: when you combine the races, more than 60% of all players in this snapshot were 'located' somewhere other than their home outpost.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm... the correlation means I get to keep my hypothetical Req, but it is somewhat weak.

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 04:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Hmm... the correlation means I get to keep my hypothetical Req, but it is somewhat weak.

I think the reason they're easier to find a conversation in is more the style of RP in the two outposts. NewHome's a place for newbies to join in and figure the place out, and a lot of people stay there past rookie, until they make friends somewhere else. Kittania's a place where people just hang out. Both of those mean there are constantly players there. And because there are always players there, they attract people who like that rp... in a circle. The other outposts tend to be used by people doing contained scenes, so they're not always hopping.

Profile Email
Lunatick
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 11:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just a thought but, why are we talking about getting current players to want to be in other outposts? Wouldn't it be beneficial for the whole island to try to figure out how to get more players into the game? Or at least how to get people who try the game to stay? According to Sessine's numbers, in the last week only 1209 players even played in the last week. Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems with this game is how hard it is to make it through the first few DKs.

I love spambots: I'm in mania to here Tickled pink as thwack to obligation on a glimpse of you all

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply