Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Season Two: What I'm doing right now
 |  Printable Version
Epaphus
 Friday, December 26 2008 @ 05:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

And, you know, it just might happen to lead to a bit of beneficial competition, for lagniappe.

Or a potlatch. One assumes people will donate only what they can afford and won't overburden their credit situation by being generous to the Island.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, December 26 2008 @ 06:49 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

(*sigh*) You mean, a Hall of Fame list might be too effective in persuading players to part with their cash?

Nice problem to have. Easily solved if it ever gets noticeably out of hand -- blink, the HoF list goes dark. I don't think it will.

We're not talking about getting people to sign over their rent cheque money. We're talking about persuading them to donate to Dan once in a while instead of buying that extra beer or going to a movie. Even in hard times, most people can manage to scrape up a little cash for small pleasures. We're looking to nudge their priorities a bit to get a share of that money for Dan.

Put this in perspective: We don't live in an isolated tribal culture. There are thousands of worthy causes out there. Most of them provide some form of recognition to donors.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 02:35 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'm still considering it. I haven't ruled it out. Although if I do end up doing this, it'll most certainly be an opt-in rather than an opt-out thing.

Anyway. Right now I'm knocking together something I had an idea for over Christmas; Mount Addons. Say you want to buy bitey metal teeth for your KittyBike, or an extra machine gun for your Land Rover - should be pretty cool.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

That was easier than anticipated.

Right, I think we've come to a crucial point, here... I can't do anything more with Mounts, including actually writing new Mounts to take advantage of this new system (and the terrain travel costs thing I wrote earlier), until we decide whether to use the expanded Stamina system. So, I'm going to post a poll on the main site, with my idea of how it'll work. We'll see how this goes.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 29 2008 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, now I'm excited.

I've had an idea.

It's a big one.

I've made my notes, created my spreadsheets, and created my diagrams - and it works. It's do-able.

And I think I'm going to keep it secret for now. Wink

But I'll give you some clues...

The PvP that we're used to will be seriously downplayed to the point of it almost not even being there, with DK bands in effect (you won't be able to attack anyone who isn't within more than a few DK's of you).

It'll be replaced with something a hundred million times more awesome.

Let the wild speculation begin! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
crashtestpilot
 Monday, December 29 2008 @ 08:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

100 million times more awesome.
Jeebus, Dan.
That's 1*10 to the eighth!
Can't wait for the unveiling!
Yours,
[i]~CTP[/i]

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 29 2008 @ 09:03 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and make that two hundred million times more awesome.

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Monday, December 29 2008 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Let's see... 200,000,000... I think that's enough awesome points to fill a swimming pool or two. Should be good enough that non-pvp'ers like myself might test it out.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

It'll be replaced with something a hundred million times more awesome.
Let the wild speculation begin! Mr. Green

I'm hoping it involves giant carnivore bunnies filled with cream cheese. And the number of times one has had a picture of the Blair Hippo painted on one's ass while sitting in the stocks.

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Wednesday, December 31 2008 @ 03:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

...Inter-species warfare? That would be pretty awsome, if only because of the robot invasions, zombie plagues and Joker...parties that would occur.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, December 31 2008 @ 12:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Boys versus girls?

Profile Email
hajen
 Wednesday, December 31 2008 @ 03:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

pirates vs. ninjas!

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Anonymous: Moo
 Friday, January 02 2009 @ 06:58 PM UTC  

Pirates vs. Ninjas vs. Robot space cowboys!

CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 01:18 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

What I'm doing right now:

Writing the expanded Stamina system.

I'm writing it in such a way that other modules won't need many modifications to work with it. Basically it's mostly made out of functions, so I'm doing most of the work in the core Stamina system rather than elsewhere - the core Stamina system doesn't actually give any functionality over the game. Things like fighting, performing actions etc will be handled in other modules.

So, for instance, if I'm writing a module like some of the ones in the Jungle that randomly add or subtract a turn, only instead of one turn I want 5,000 Stamina points, then instead of doing this:

$session['user']['turns']++;
or
$session['user']['turns']--;

I'll do:

removestamina(5000);
or
addstamina(5000);

after a quick require_once "modules/staminasystem/lib/lib.php"; in the header of the module I'm changing.

Basically I'm trying to make it as flexible as possible for the future, and for other LotGD admins. It's going pretty well at the moment.

The Awesome Thing:
You're not thinking awesome enough. More awesome.

Profile Email Website
Epaphus
 Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 02:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Why do we need turns and stamina? Why not just have stamina that can be expended in various ways?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 03:42 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Sorry, I could have explained that clearer.

In every module I've got, or written, that uses Turns, I'll be going through and replacing the commands that add or subtract turns with a call to the function that adds or removes Stamina. So, yes, you're quite correct, we won't be using Turns at all in S2. Smile

(EDIT: Oh hell, the nightmarish implications of having both turns and Stamina are kinda sinking in, now... *shudder*)

Profile Email Website
Tor NaGoth
 Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 04:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just out of curiosity, CavemanJoe, did you happen to catch Scene Two of the Riddler of Oz?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Not at the time, but I caught it in the Wiki afterwards. 'twas most awesome, and Emily liked it too. Smile

Right now I'm contemplating whether to use a serialized array in the Stamina system modulepref rather than putting a new line for each Stamina category, value, and user ID into the database. It'd almost certainly end up being far easier to use.

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I know we haven't seen the complete Stamina system yet, but I have the feeling that it is going to limit the amount of day-long grinding that's currently possible in Season One. I happen to think that's a good thing. One thing I note about the server, though, is that the lowered number of fights each day is somewhat balanced by the very short days (4 hours as opposed to 8). Perhaps it would be worth considering a long-term change to 6 hour days, and allowing 3 saved?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I've been pondering the idea of actually lowering it to two game days per real day, IE 12-hour days, but giving more Stamina to balance it out. We'll have to fiddle and tweak a little bit - for now I'm just concerned with getting the damn thing working.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply