Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Clan halls chat
 |  Printable Version
Akogi
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 12:00 AM UTC (Read 7520 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

This has been bothering me for a bit now and I don't know if this has been brought up before but, I've noticed that there is still only chat area for the clan halls.

I know for places and outposts, you have both the banter and the story feeds. I'm wondering would it be possible to implement a similar thing for clan halls. I know in QQQ there is a bit of in character stuff that goes on and a bit of out of character stuff that goes on as well so I'm wondering if there is a way to separate both of them.

Since I imagine not every clan would want something like this if it'd be possible to have it so that only the founder, leaders and officers would be able to turn on and off the different chats similar to the owner (or those with the respective keys) in places.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 02:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think optional Banter in clan halls would be a pretty welcome feature, so adding my agreement. Maybe even make multiple rooms purchasable for an exorbitant amount of cigs.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 02:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I remember speak of implementing the Places system into the Clan Halls and other outpost-only areas back when Places were still under development. That would be pretty sweet! (I suspect the Glass & Mirror was the first attempt at using the system in an outpost, unless the robot-check is hard-coded instead of using Contraptions and Contrivances...?)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 03:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This might be a controversial request, but having the ability to delete posts in the clan halls would be welcome.

Probably best reserved for Leaders and above.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Nekops
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 06:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

One problem with having true In-Character Chat in the Clan Halls, as I see it, is that the Halls aren't particularly... extant In-Character, if you follow me.

The Clan Halls across all the Outposts are linked, just like the Common Ground is... but unlike the Common Ground, they were not created by the capricious whim of the Drive. There's no reason for the Clans not to let members use their portals (or whatever) to hop right in from one Outpost and out to another, so if you try to make all the Outpost Clan Halls somehow one place, In Character, you're gonna have problems.

Similarly, there's no in-game explanation for your ability to track Clan Members from the Hall, and even things like viewing the roster (simple enough, if there's just a list tacked to the wall somewhere) aren't explained... the only explanation really given is why everyone can't just get in there.

As such, I'd say the Clan Halls almost don't exist in-universe... much like Location 4. Various rooms, different chat options, a place for people to meet in-character, the ability to delete posts... these are all options that have already been provided with Places. Any clan can build one, having a customizable base of operations on the Island, private for Clan members only, and an in-character place to meet and play out scenes to their heart's delight.

Meanwhile, let's leave the Clan Halls for what they are... a convenient way to let your clan members know about the scene next weekend, the url for the forum, and stuff like that.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 10:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

One problem with having true In-Character Chat in the Clan Halls... [I'm not going to include the rest of it. It's a pretty long, thought-out, space-taking thing. And, seriously, it's one post up. I'm only quoting it for formality.]

It bugs me how the line between Things Which Are in the Story and Things Which Aren't in the Story blurs in some places. I mean, I loves me some forth-wall-breaking humor as much as the next guy, but it isn't funny if I don't know something's being broken.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 10:51 PM UTC  

Quote by: Trowa

I remember speak of implementing the Places system into the Clan Halls and other outpost-only areas back when Places were still under development.

Wanted this for the longest time... Mr. Green

Quote by: Nekops

One problem with having true In-Character Chat in the Clan Halls, as I see it, is that the Halls aren't particularly... extant In-Character, if you follow me.

Don't really understand the problem. I've been in a couple of clans that have all used the Clan Hall space as an actual, in-character Clan Hall, specifically for roleplaying, even imagining up rooms for it for people to write in. One clan invented a rather elaborate way to fit the place into the Clan Hall building so you could get in without breaking character, or the fourth wall, or what have you.

It doesn't exactly make sense in the game world, but a good number of other things don't either (Places mechanics, for one). Clan Halls are very easy for people to get to, and having a place that's easy to get to makes it easy for clanmembers to roleplay together. Game mechanics don't necessarily have to tie into some great big in character Network-funded scheme to be good, useful, or fun.

Twosocks Monkey
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 10:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Nekops, I have to say, I'm not sure what clan you're in (I could check maybe but I'm lazy) but I disagree entirely.

I've read many logs from QQQ and their clan hall is used extensively in character.

ICEE goes back and forth, sometimes OOC, sometimes IC.

SRS NEVER uses their clan halls for RP...

So I think from that small smattering of information, it's clear that clans use their clan halls completely differently. I would go so far as to say that *ahem* it's as varied and complex as places, or the way different people RP.

That's all, just saying a generalist comment like that is clearly untrue from what I've seen around. I don't know why it bugged me that you said that but it did. Had to say something.

End...PSA? Moo.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 01:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just tacking on Monkey's post: At SAVOR our clan hall is almost exclusively IC. It wasn't always that way, and we don't pester members if they make ooc remarks, but we try to stick (at least informally) to the usual conventions of differentiating ooc from ic - typically via parenthesis, or changing the text color and not emoting.

...It's been a long time since we had any ooc conversations, come to think of it...or any conversations for that matter! Where the hell are my SAVORs?! Evil *goes off to write a nasty clan mail, then returns*

Anyway, as for how we explain our clan halls being accessible from every outpost: SAVOR's clan hall is an airship floating over the island! Mr. Green We just tap our badges (every member gets one!) and poof our way on board (they only work in outposts as a safety measure, obviously - don't want any monsters getting poofed up with you!). Who cares if it's not strictly canon to the island! Laughing Out Loud

Heck, I wonder if any clan has their halls in a bubble outside the island? I mean, you can basically do whatever you want in the clan MotD; we use ours to both describe the airship and act as a news bulletin.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 01:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Nekops, I have to say, I'm not sure what clan you're in (I could check maybe but I'm lazy) but I disagree entirely.

I'm in AIB, and proud, but I'll be the first to point out that I don't speak for my Clan, Country, or Book Club in what I'm saying here.

I'm sure that many clans use the Clan Halls for various purposes, I would be surprised if they did not. I, for example, use Banter for alternating purposes... sometimes, I am my friendly Robot over there, in character but out of continuity and with OOC knowledge. Other times, I'm myself, the player that chose the handle Nekops... it all depends on what I want to say, and it's not really important if you mistake one for the other.

However, Banter is for OOC discussion, regardless of what I use it to do... that is what it has been designed to do and what the maker of it thinks it's suitable for. I can use a hammer as a paperweight, and if it's my hammer then nobody's gonna say I'm wrong... but if I ask the manufacturer to modify his product so that the claws don't rip the pages, he's more likely to point me to a paperweight store than to rework the tool.

So I guess that's where I'm at. When I hear requests like 'an optional Story and Banter separation', 'customizable added on rooms', 'post deletion power for select people'... I think Places. I think of the things that require 100 cigs to set up, need cigs and Wood and Stone and Scrapyard Stuff and Trips Across the Map and Stamina to customize, and require even more resources to share power with more than one person. If you want to add those functions to all the Clan Halls, they are either going to be free (which... almost starts to undermine Places? Why ever make your own Place if your Clan Hall can have infinite rooms with shared control?) or have similar sorts of resource costs for fairness's sake, which then makes the Clan Hall no more easy to get started on than a Place of your own on the map...?

I don't know. Hopefully my points have been made more clear, if not more valid, and hopefully it comes across that I mean no harm to any Clan, person, or beast of the field.

Nekops Awaaaaaaaaaaayyy...

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Torchwood's clan hall is mostly in character... there are a few Fourth Wall breaking notes, but they are usually posted as actual notes by characters as a sort of pseudo-quasi-continuity action. And the Torchwood clan hall has been extensively worked out in character as well - our active members routinely enter the main hall by the official front door, and less often through the back door*; they interact with the environment we have created for the interior; they enter and exit various rooms and areas; Arthur has even built a workbench there, used it for a year or two, and then relocated it to his bar cellar.

I personally don't think having a banter channel in the clan halls would be a bad idea. Think of all the shenanigans roleplay opportunities you could coordinate with its assistance. Not every narrator has the rest of his clan members on GTalk, and some people** don't read/notice their Distractions either. Banter is an efficient, expedient way to make sure you're on the same page as the other narrators, and I for one would welcome it.

*and possibly other entrances
**you know who you are....

Dent

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 08:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have to agree with Nekops. What most of you are missing here is that A) Clan Halls as they are (site mechanics-wise, NOT how they are roleplayed) would be very difficult for CMJ to write into any of the story (which many of us care about), and it's a hardship he doesn't need to undertake because B ) Places already do all of the things that you asked for (and Banter's pretty useful too), and much the Island's monetary self-sufficiency comes from Places now, too. If CMJ were to turn around and give us the same features (or even *many* of them) for FREE... well, many folk'sd stop paying, and not because they're nasty or selfish, but because why would *you* pay for something you can get for free?
(and of course I DO NOT mean that "stealing is okay". I mean that "if someone gives you apples, you're gonna take them from *him*, and not pay the grocer for them any more" )

Back to the original point- CMJ seemed pretty gung-ho about Banter when it started (I mean shoot, we can build it in our Places!), so much so that the lack of it in the Clan Halls is kind of glaring. I wonder if it's not there because the game code won't support it there?
If no OOC chat in the clan halls bothers you Akogi, why don't you get on a chat system that most of your clannies use to do that?

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 06:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't think anybody is suggesting we get an entire Place inside Clan Halls for free (unless I missed it). I imagine it would be nearly exactly the same system of "drag wood and stone to an outpost, throw it in your Hall's inventory, set up build jobs, spend stamina on building." The initial setup of a clan, though, would at least get you started with one room, chat, MotD, and a Clan Description, just like it does now. The link "Clan Halls" itself in any outpost would basically be a Place with a program in the first room loaded with a ton of "check clan" contrivances and "warp to room" contraptions - except those rooms would be their own place, and the special warp-to-place function would only be available to the admin team. Not to mention the Clan Halls also have access to the Waiting Room and Julia's desk. The "members online" function would be similar to the Comms Tent guy; everyone's being recorded for the show, right? Obviously they keep tabs on you. Smile

As for the "Why?" Why not? That would be an awesome perk to be able to sleep in a bed in an outpost! (Any Slippery Slope arguments regarding "then nobody would go anywhere!" shall herein be ridiculed.) This wouldn't diminish the value of the Clan-created Places already, either. If they've already got them and use them, then why would they stop? If they've got them and don't use them, as is the case in SAVOR, well, then...oops. Razz Basically, Clan Halls are private to the clan. Clan Places are a mixture of public and private places dotted around the map, depending on what the clan wants.

If all else fails and we just cannot pin down a reason why the doors in the Halls lead to so many different places, then screw it: a Joker did it. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 11:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

If all else fails and we just cannot pin down a reason why the doors in the Halls lead to so many different places, then screw it: a Joker did it. Laughing Out Loud

The answer to many questions on the Island (beginning with "why" and/or "how") is "Improbability", said in the same voice one says "spooooooky forest", with the accompanying jazz hands.

The flaw in your plan, Trowa, is that, to my knowledge, it costs one hundred more cigs to buy a stake than it does to found a clan.

Profile Email Website
Akogi
 Saturday, June 09 2012 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

I've read many logs from QQQ and their clan hall is used extensively in character.

It actually tends to be mostly the rpers (myself, Llama, and kew recently) who use it mostly IC*. Every now and then we have people who don't rp say things which can get slightly distracting if you're going between scenes and you find OOC stuff.

Quote by: Harry

If no OOC chat in the clan halls bothers you Akogi, why don't you get on a chat system that most of your clannies use to do that?

It's less that and more giving people the option for OOC chat if people wanted it. I mostly don't want to dissuade people from using clan halls by putting OOC notes out for the whole clan when most other people use it for IC.

*Don't know if the clan has a stalker, an alt or just someone who thoroughly enjoys the insanity that goes on in those halls.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Saturday, June 09 2012 @ 12:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Akogi *Don't know if the clan has a stalker, an alt or just someone who thoroughly enjoys the insanity that goes on in those halls.

Ah.

I'm a stalker (and a bookface, but that's beside the point).

I read logs by Micha, Llama, Kew and Maniak. Therefore I've seen QQQ Clanhalls shenanigans second hand. Never been in there myself. I have no idea how it's 'decorated' sadly. Frown

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, June 09 2012 @ 11:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

The flaw in your plan, Trowa, is that, to my knowledge, it costs one hundred more cigs to buy a stake than it does to found a clan.

Yes, but you have to found your own clan to do that, which means that
a) You have to start building up buffs again, which costs significantly more than 100 cigs, and
b)You get a Place that only other clan members can visit.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 01:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I suppose you're right. If I wanted a Place only I could see, I could just use a text file.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Akogi

It's less that and more giving people the option for OOC chat if people wanted it. I mostly don't want to dissuade people from using clan halls by putting OOC notes out for the whole clan when most other people use it for IC.

*Don't know if the clan has a stalker, an alt or just someone who thoroughly enjoys the insanity that goes on in those halls.

Ahhh.

Wait. Why not just use the Clan Distractions for the OOC, then?

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Sonny
 Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 04:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm all for a seperate banter chat in the clan halls and I can't see why the additional wish some have, to also be able to add rooms like in places, could negate any points in favor of the banter.

I think seperating the chats is a long overdue step and could well enourage members to RP in the clan halls, because it would become clearer what's really in character and what's ooc. Therefore, as already mentioned, offering a dedicated place for RP and one for all the other stuff that comes up now and then, could make it easier for some to interact with the other members, without fear to say something out of place or disturb the RP, and also without resorting to possibly cumbersome distractions as long as they are in an outpost.
In my opinion the possible benefits shouldn't be ignored.

Now regarding adding rooms to the clan halls, I think it would be a nice feature, though not high priority. If it costs only cigs it has to be well balanced, because the buffs already require a large amount of them. For wood and stones I think it should cost more than normal rooms.
Another possbility would be to just implement one or two rooms without any cost for the players and making each either available after a certain span of time has passed since the clan was founded, or right away. This wouldn't favor the fractions of strictly fighters or strictly RPers, though that's all up to personal preferences and opinions, and likely leading to pages and pages of discussion Razz

Same with beds in the clan halls. Cool, but it would have to be carefully balanced. The benefits seem obvious: always a bed in outposts. But what should it cost and how would it influence gameplay and exploration of the map?

So, Yes, please! to banter chat in clan halls! (Of course as long as it doesn't take ages to code and implement, and distracts from more important things.)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply