Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Request: Gifting Station Confirmation
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 08:42 AM UTC (Read 3973 times)  

I don't think I've seen a post about this on the forum, so here goes.

I am absolutely petrified of the Gifting Station. When I search for a player to send something to, there is very frequently a very long list of names. And then when I go to select an item to send, there is a very long list of every single item in my backpack, lodge bag, card case, and shoebox. I have a lot of items. I have a lot of Mementos. I would really hate to misclick and send the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Example: When searching for the player "Terra," I get 128 results. This text is extremely unhelpful:

The KittyMorph reaches below his counter and brings up a clipboard on which he writes down the name of your nominated contestant.
Which contestant did I click on? I hope I clicked on Terra.

When choosing an item to send to Possibly Terra, I get a list of 85 items to send for 1 Supporter Point, and a second list of 30 items to send for free.
The KittyMorph nods, taking the item from you and beginning to wrap it in tissue paper. "They should be pleased with that."
...Pleased with what? Again, I really, really hope I clicked on the Free Pants (30 available) rather than the Solid Gold Family Heirloom From Your Mother (1 available).

Can I suggest:
The KittyMorph reaches below his counter and brings up a clipboard on which he writes down the name of your nominated contestant. "That was Terra, right?"
The KittyMorph nods, taking the Free Pants from you and beginning to wrap it in tissue paper. "They should be pleased with that."
You've chosen to send Terra a Free Pants for 1 Supporter Point. Would you like to send it anonymously or put your name on the tag?
>Anonymous
>Sign it
>Oh god no that's not what I meant to do!

Please, please give me a confirmation before I proceed. I'll stop having a panic attack every time I send a rookie a cookie, I promise.

Collin-Vee
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 09:31 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Nothing to say to this but YES OH GOD YES PLEASE ALL MY SUPPORT.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 10:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Nothing to say to this but YES OH GOD YES PLEASE ALL MY SUPPORT.

Thirded!

JUST HAD THIS PROBLEM AND BIT MY NAILS FOR HOURS.

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 10:56 AM UTC  

While I'm at this requesting business, I might as well also add:

Can the "Go back a step" and "Cancel this whole business" links be moved to the top of the Choose Your Gift menu? Because right now it's at the bottom, if I recall correctly. At the bottom of my 100+ inventory item links. And that kinda sucks.

Matthew
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This has annoyed me in the past. +1

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 12:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, me too! Also a better search system in general! Currently, when I search for a contestant on any list on the Island, it starts listing everybody who has the exact letters I typed in the same order. That's very counter-intuitive!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 01:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is true. As an experiment I've just gone and looked up some names. Try looking for Omega and you get fifteen results. Ada goes off the bottom of the page and Ari it refuses to show you more than the first 100 results. That's in the 'Search for contestant'. In the Cut Key menu they just won't show you the names if there's too many. Poor Ari can never be given a key. Lets hope that nobody ever tries to call themselves Ed.

If when searching for names it ignored titles then that would be a big step in the right direction. If it required that the letters were consecutive then that would be better still.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

This is true. As an experiment I've just gone and looked up some names. Try looking for Omega and you get fifteen results. Ada goes off the bottom of the page and Ari it refuses to show you more than the first 100 results. That's in the 'Search for contestant'. In the Cut Key menu they just won't show you the names if there's too many. Poor Ari can never be given a key. Lets hope that nobody ever tries to call themselves Ed.

If when searching for names it ignored titles then that would be a big step in the right direction. If it required that the letters were consecutive then that would be better still.

Even better if it looked for an exact match on the name, first, and tried the fuzzy-match technique only if that didn't come up with a result.

The trouble is that all these name searches were coded independently, at different times, in different modules. If there were a good common name-search function, then all of the modules that need to do a character lookup would still have to be changed to call it instead of doing their own thing. The gifting station is Island-native code; so is the key-cutting logic, but the Contestant's List is legacy LoGD.

(Note To Dan: The User Editor does it well. It'll find Ari and Ada. It would find an Ed if we had one.)

In the meantime, there's an easy tweak that would mitigate though not solve the problem. The Island serves a lot more players than the original LoGD engine was written to handle. For the number of times that people do lookups, I'm guessing it wouldn't noticeably impact performance if the maxlistsize game setting were adjusted upward from its current default value of 100, to perhaps 150 or 200.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Luckily, you can add titles on to the search - Inked Ada or Abundantly Ari will get you the person you're looking for. No such luck with rookies, though!

I definitely agree that we need confirmation! One of these days I'm going to give a rookie my badge instead of a tasty cookie. =/

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, July 01 2012 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You guys think you got nail-biting problems? My unopened Creator Bundle is right above all the OST's I frequently give out!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, July 02 2012 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I transfer Stone from my shed to my inventory in order to deliver them to small building projects that request them. The requests are multiples of 100 or 200, and I have more than 6000 in my shed stockpile. I have to add them to my inventory ONE BY ONE, and the shed has plenty of beds and mementos above the Stone, requiring me to Page Down 3-4 times between every click.

If my mouse is not PRECISELY POSITIONED and my hand is not ROCK-STEADY, I can accidentally click TAKE ALL and have to start from the beginning again. Click... ... ... ... ... ... click... ... ... ... ... ... ... click...

And you guys say you have painful misclick potential...

Profile Email
 Monday, July 02 2012 @ 06:53 AM UTC  

I had to do something like that a couple weeks ago, Fred. It was a nightmare.

YOU HAVE ALL MY SYMPATHY, SIR.

Edit: My avatar doesn't look very sympathetic, does it? Looks like she's laughing at us all...

Daedalus
 Monday, July 02 2012 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yup, confirmation would be good.

and Idea ... in a related thought. Mebbe I could attach a card to the gift? Just a small text facility, to write why I'm sending it? Something like "Hi Ed. Loved the RP in AH today. Regards." Or something in character. Whatever.

To minimise load, max text at say 100 characters and can only be attached to non-anonymous gifts.

But mainly the confirmation idea.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, July 03 2012 @ 01:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Daedalus

To minimise load, max text at say 100 characters and can only be attached to non-anonymous gifts.

Surely, mysterious anonymous gifts would be the ones to require that more? I mean, you can't send an anonymous distraction.

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Tuesday, July 03 2012 @ 07:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

... you can't send an anonymous distraction.

Yes, and that is for exactly the same reasoning why I'd suggest a card arrangement be restricted to known senders.

The cynic in me suspects that anonymous communications are far more likely to be abused (as in abusive) than those that are sent from a known source.

If I wanted to send a card to "Ed" that says "you are really sucky. signed FML", and it was anonymous, it would take an admin process to track me down. But if the card was marked "from Daedalus" ... well, you get the idea.

And keeping it small in size is just about limiting server/resource implications.

Anyhoo ... it was just a sidetrack off the original An Very Excellent Idea of confirmation before sending gifts. Let's not derail that. (More than I already did. Ooops.)

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I transfer Stone from my shed to my inventory in order to deliver them to small building projects that request them. The requests are multiples of 100 or 200, and I have more than 6000 in my shed stockpile. I have to add them to my inventory ONE BY ONE, and the shed has plenty of beds and mementos above the Stone, requiring me to Page Down 3-4 times between every click.

If my mouse is not PRECISELY POSITIONED and my hand is not ROCK-STEADY, I can accidentally click TAKE ALL and have to start from the beginning again. Click... ... ... ... ... ... click... ... ... ... ... ... ... click...

And you guys say you have painful misclick potential...

Tell me about it. 27000 logs and 9000 stone at the bar and every single time I end up going and cutting a few hundred more because it's easier than spending an hour dozing off and miscounting/misclicking and starting over...

Dent

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.14 seconds
New Topic Post Reply