Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Gauging Interest
 |  Printable Version
BenC
 Tuesday, July 24 2012 @ 10:16 AM UTC (Read 2357 times)  
Forum Newbie

Would you read an Improbable Island Comic Book?

The idea for the comic is every issue or two we would switch to a new character or set of characters. The comic would be written by me but I would need an artist. The questions I would need answering are the following:

Are you even interested in reading an II comic?

How much would you pay for it? Try to keep this one fair as I would try to sell it with the other merchindice and CMJ would need to receive a cut of any sales as would me and my artist.

Are there any other writers and any artists interested in being apart of this? If so then we could split up the work load between us, such as I do one issue or story line and then another writer takes over.

That is my idea so please let me know what you think. I really am starting to see more that we could do here so let me know.

Also this would be a teen rated comic. Keep that in mind if you say you want to work on it.

Thank you for your time.

Profile Email
Assacura
 Tuesday, July 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm kinda curious how it would be rated teen, when everyone starts off drugged up and thrown naked off an airplane. (Unless teen does mean you can have lots of random nudity...) Just thought it should be something to consider.

Profile Email
BenC
 Tuesday, July 24 2012 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

What I would do is a lot of implied nudity but no actual nudity. Also Teen means no sex and while there will be violence but it won't go over the top.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, July 24 2012 @ 11:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Would I read a comic about the Island? Yeah, probably, just to sate my ego and see if my character was in it, no matter the quality of the work.

Would I pay for it? No. Absolutely not. And not just because I'm a skinflint bastard either. Why would I want to pay for reading about a character and his escapades across the Island if I could just watch it happen, and not only that, but influence the story? The community is what makes the Island fun, the random person that pops in and becomes part of the scene, the man behind the curtain throwing out specials unexpectedly, you and your fellow writers trying to solve a problem at the same time and counteracting each others efforts. Planned out scenes can be good, but just adding pictures and putting it on paper doesn't make it worth paying for.

Also, how do I know you'd write a good story? You may be good at writing your character, but what about writing every character? Can you accurately portray other people's characters and the NPCs? And why bother with the Teen rating? Scenes with Kittymorphs would be look strange if you had to take precautions to always cover up their Naught Bits. Besides, you're selling it to Islanders; we're not a bunch of prudes who get offended at drawing a nipple on a pair of breasts.

Finally, if I were somehow coerced into buying a comic, I'd demand CMJ and the artist to get more than the writer.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
BenC
 Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 12:00 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ok. Thank you for your responce. For Kittymorphs we would just use fur to cover the naughty bits. IT is more just to make it more accessible to others. If there is no objection the we would allow topless pictures.

As for who gets what from profits that would be worked out later. I never said the writer would get more then anyone. I always saw it that CMJ would get the lion's share of it as this is his world.

No I don't think I could write anyone better then the person that came up with that character but it could still be fun to see yourself written by someone new. Also while these can't be like the game in the fact that anyone can jump in to a scene things like that is what you play the game for. This is more to have a huge amount of characters showing up during a breach or someone exploring the Bingo Hall for the first time. How does a new joker feel when they first start? Things like that. It can also be used to showcase a character and just follow them for a while and see what is going on in their lives here.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 02:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I wouldn't have any problems with you (or anybody else) using any of my characters in such a way, and I'd be interested to see the results.

I almost certainly wouldn't donate anything though. I'm pretty poor. I bung a few squid to the Island here and there when I can, but not as much as I think that Dan deserves given the amount of time that I spend here. I don't have much left over for anything else.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 04:52 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'mma point to the "Non-Commercial" clause of the Creative Commons license under which Legend of the Green Dragon (and, by contagion, the current season of Improbable Island) exists.

The difference between the Island and a physical comic book is that you don't have to pay to play the Island, whereas you would have to pay for a physical comic, and by accepting money from you I'd be in breach of the license.

If you were to give away electronic copies for free, that'd be different. Smile

Profile Email Website
BenC
 Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 08:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ok so what if we did it for free like you said. IT could still be a way for new writers or artists to get there names out there.

Would there be a intrest to do it like a webcomic? STill rotating writers and Artists every few issues.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, July 30 2012 @ 06:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Suddenly, I feel like writing in-character. So... I apologize to the rest of you. But not sincerely, or I wouldn't have written this in the first place.

SIR -- In the vein of providing graphical material for the edification and/or amusement of the masses (either as a semi-regular feature of the Enquirer, as I mentioned in the advertisement in the classy, or as a stand-alone book or pamphlet of some sort) I wish it to be known that I, Full Metal Lion, [Ed. note: Who?] prominent islander, [Ed. note: What?] fully support this endeavor! Except monetarily, because I'm a skinflint bastard.

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Monday, July 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. "Would you read an Improbable Island Comic Book?"

At least once, yup

2. "Are you even interested in reading an II comic?"

As above.

3. "How much would you pay for it?"

Nuttin. I'm as broke as a smashed plate. Sorry, can't help you there.

4. "Are there any other writers and any artists interested in being apart of this?"

Judging by the previous replies ...yup. I'm not one of them though. Apart from anything else, I can't draw or write well enough to even think about going there.

5. "That is my idea so please let me know what you think."

Umm ... 'Eggs don't bounce'. (I don't think that all the time, but there was this one occasion ...) Oh, specific to the topic? Well then, if CMJ is happy to have it done, which his post above seems to indicate in the affirmative, ... good luck with it

6. "Thank you for your time."

Your welcome. I needed a break from writing and illustrating my next nobel-prize winning book. (See, zero credibility, right there. Happens every time.)

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Would I read an Improbable Island web comic? Sure, at least at the beginning. I'd give it a much wider allowance on the quality front than I usually do because it was about the Island. I'd talk about it, and I'd vote for it regularly on Top Web Comics.

Would I pay to read it? Sorry, no. I'm not flat broke, but I do have to budget carefully. Pretty much every penny of my recreation fund each month goes directly to the Island. Though I know PayPal's cut is unavoidable, I still grudge it. I wouldn't divert any of that not-nearly-enough money to a comic.

I'm neither an artist nor a comic-writer, so that question's moot. Like HM, though, I'd be quite fascinated to see someone else's interpretation of my character. I mean, hey, what an ego boost! I imagine a lot of people would enjoy the compliment, so (as long as you did get the player's consent beforehand) you'd have a wide array of characters to choose from for your story arcs.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.96 seconds
New Topic Post Reply