Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 I'M SO TIRED OF STEAK (revamped food system thread)
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 07:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Quote by: Jaodaria

both fork over increased req and ingredients to the restaurants.

Yeah I'm sorry but I have to say it: this shit is dumb. I don't go to a restaurant in real life and expect to have to supply my own ingredients. That's the entire point of going to a restaurant.

Idea: maybe a discount if you have your own ingredients to supply, but if not you're paying full price?

Yeah but...this isn't the only place where the Island deviates from real life, if you look closely enough. Surely the real measure is how enjoyable it is to play?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Also, your shit is dumb

is it weird that I feel slightly honored

Someone find me an appropriate reaction gif. I want someone blowing a raspberry.

EDIT: But not this one. This one is just terrifying.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have a .gif of raspberries. Does that help?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I have a .gif of raspberries. Does that help?

3/10 not enough motion to justify gif format. Must try harder.

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 07:55 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Also, your shit is dumb, unless you live on an island in a post-EMP future and can tell us what the restaurants are like there.

You're paying for a service. You aren't going to be told: "No, go get us our things, then pay US to get what you just grabbed the ingredients to make!"

You're going to be told: "Here you go sir!" Or: "You got us those herbs! Damn! Here's a discount for your hard work! Please don't chop off our nipples!"

EDIT: Reaction.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is this now a .gif thread?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Someone find me an appropriate reaction gif. I want someone blowing a raspberry.

I offer you this non-gif thing: Razz

Now, what if the restaurants had a stock of herbs, and you just sold them your herbs like meat? And there'd probably be some fancy scarcity-based price-range. The only question would be how meat gets to be infinitely available to restaurants, unlike herbs.

However, I am a robot at the moment, so the only advice I can really advise is "herbs should be dropable because things found on the map should be dropable".

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:09 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pssh. I say I win the gif thread, on account of my avatar being an animated gif. Who's with me?

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:30 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Pssh. I say I win the gif thread, on account of my avatar being an animated gif. Who's with me?

Your mom is with you! Hah!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

After playing around with the new system: food is way too goddamn expensive. I mean really. I can't fill up without apparently needing tens of thousands of req. And if it's too expensive for me, it's downright astronomical for new players.

Is this supposed to encourage us to cook for ourselves and only eat out if we're rich bastards? Man, that's way too much like real life.

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

After playing around with the new system: food is way too goddamn expensive. I mean really. I can't fill up without apparently needing tens of thousands of req. And if it's too expensive for me, it's downright impossible for new players.

Is this supposed to encourage us to cook for ourselves and only eat out if we're rich bastards? Man, that's way too much like real life.

I agree... I remember being a rookie and thinking it was the height of insanity to pay 500 whole req for a steak - and that steak was filling, healthy, nutritious, and gave a good stam boost! I spent most of my second DK ruing my choice to play kittymorph, because I could no longer use grenade money to buy food. Think of the poor newbies.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Your mom is with you! Hah!

No, sir, it is your mother who accompanies me! Ha ha! Turned that one around on you, didn't I?

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:50 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

After playing around with the new system: food is way too goddamn expensive. I mean really. I can't fill up without apparently needing tens of thousands of req. And if it's too expensive for me, it's downright astronomical for new players.

And here's most people's problems.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

I agree... I remember being a rookie and thinking it was the height of insanity to pay 500 whole req for a steak - and that steak was filling, healthy, nutritious, and gave a good stam boost! I spent most of my second DK ruing my choice to play kittymorph, because I could no longer use grenade money to buy food. Think of the poor newbies.

Really. Honestly, I think it would actually be pretty good if every price was just halved or even more. Very newbie-unfriendly and frustrating.

edit: at least some of the foods, anyway. I noticed the prices aren't actually nearly so insane in New Pittsburgh. Then again, the food there isn't that great either.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

edit again: After looking around, most of the food in most outposts seem pretty reasonable (though I'd still decrease the prices a little honestly, no one thing of food should cost more than maybe 700 req. That's the most that's reasonable for a new player).

Pleasantville and Kittania food are fucking insane. 2500 for a steak. Wow! No new player will ever be able to afford that. Most veterans probably have a hard time affording that!

Edit once more: I like how my hunger increases as I play. That's pretty cool, I can eat more I guess.. The problem is though that food is way too expensive and the food that isn't expensive is really not even worth the money (200 req for 2% stamina?). So I guess I just starve forever.

I like the system, it seems really cool. Food being made way less expensive would probably go a long way towards making it function better. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Maybe I'm supposed to be cooking my own food. I dunno!

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For those of us who like collecting and playing with data and working out how to maximise effectiveness of this and that...

I've started tabulating the info I've got so far.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 09:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

For those of us who like collecting and playing with data and working out how to maximise effectiveness of this and that...

I've started tabulating the info I've got so far.

I'd love to help fill in some numbers, but it's view-only.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

More thoughts the more I play with it: I'm getting more used to it, liking it more. The huge increase in your hunger gauge as you sleep a new day and then the increase as you fight is pretty cool, actually.

The old model: starve yourself for two days, binge on three steaks the third, repeat. Nobody does this in real life. Nobody healthy.

New model: each day, you wake up, fight until you're hungry/tired, eat a big meal, go out and fight until you're ready to go to bed. Doing this each day averages out to about the same amount of fighting done if not more. It's more realistic and reasonable and I can appreciate that. I like it.

Still, the biggest problem is that any food that's any good is way out of reasonable budget range for any new players and most established players, even.

Going on: robots should be able to eat robot-only food from Cyber City. It would go a long way towards making robot tolerable. The lack of a med-tent is fine- you can get around that with clan auras, chem pack, the cooldown function - it makes sense that they'd have an alternative. I like that, too. It's the no food that mostly damns them to uselessness, I think. Maybe some batteries they can buy and plug in once a new day or something, I don't know.

Back on topic: new system is/would be pretty great if the food cost was rebalanced more in line with what they were in the old system. I don't even mind the herb thing because you can just pluck them as you travel about the map. Encourages you to get out there and walk to other cities. That's a plus.

aside: New Pittsburgh food is still worthless and there is no reason to eat there ever.

Edit: was just informed robots do have stuff in Cyber City. SHOWS HOW HIP AND WITH THE TIMES I AM I GUESS :V
edit edit: thought: maybe a thing in the comms tent or council offices where we can pay a cig to see which foods are available in which restaurants that game day? Better solution than walking all over the place and looking yourself, because then oh whoops there goes all of your stamina.

Profile Email
Grey
 Tuesday, August 14 2012 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Still, the biggest problem is that any food that's any good is way out of reasonable budget range for any new players and most established players, even.

I have to agree, the costs seem to be a bit horrendous, I'm struggling to eat the expensive stuff and I've got over 80Dks under my belt

Also a nice idea would be some spice storage in one's dwelling, and along similar lines a fridge to store meat for longer.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply