Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Some ideas for new stuff
 |  Printable Version
CID
 Thursday, August 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM UTC (Read 5742 times)  
Forum Newbie

Here are some ideas I've had for new stuff:

WereMorph
WereMorph are human by day and kittymorph by night (Using the time system already in place). They can use both human and kittymorph equipment (if there is a difference). NewHome is there city (or kittymorph... or a new place).

Merrow/Merfolk
New city in the water. faster water travel speeds. Dolphin or shark mount.

Wizard
Think they are like Jokers, but are closer to humans. They were funny dresses and robes for armor, pointy hats for helms, and use sticks for weapons. New starting city Improbable Asylum. Instead of travel they have to escape. Escape calls for a few fights that won't land you on the FailBoat to travel.

That's all for right now, but I'm sure I'll get more. I'm also willing to put more work into these if CMJ considers adding them in a future update..

Duane "C.I.D." O'Malley

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Thursday, August 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CID

WereMorph
Merrow/Merfolk
Wizard

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't see how these would fit into the atmosphere of the Island. It's IMPROBABLE island, not a medieval fantasy magic world. I'm not trying to be rude, in any sense, but the first two are rather out of genre.

Plus, Joker is enough, it's the opinion of a lot of veterans that magic Isn't a Real Thing, it's Improbability.

It's a good BASE idea, but it needs work and renaming. Thanks for trying, though!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, August 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Let's break this down to the base ideas, though:

A system that's dependent on night and day. Right now we have the flavor outpost descriptions and the page backgrounds, and while those are cool, they end at flavor. A gameplay mechanic where time of day is a factor could be awfully neat. Dunno what this would be.

Dwellings in the water. Expand on the water. Right now the water is just "annoying shit you need to travel across to get to Ace High". I know even less what you'd do about this than the first thing. Maybe disable being able to move across them, and have docks/harbors along the shores that can take you across? I dunno.

We kind of already have an escape-like objective in the abandoned factory.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 01:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Building* on one of your ideas:

A WhereWolf (suffers from Locationthyropy). You turn into the Race of the Outpost you are closest to. If you're closest to IC,** you probably become just a vanilla WhereWolf, which would probably be really crap in an attempt to balance the Race.

*Read: "adding Improbability to"
**IC may or may not be the hometown of the WhereWolfs

Profile Email Website
CID
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Oooo... I like the WhereWolf idea. Though I don't think the wolf part makes sense, maybe WereWhere*. And IC could randomly generate race. That wouldn't be to difficult.

*Were is german for man.

Duane "C.I.D." O'Malley

Profile Email Website
Donk
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 06:04 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Would would really be nice would be a way to travel the map using the number pad. Those are keys I am more used to using.

Profile Email
CID
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 06:28 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

That actually wouldn't be too hard, CMJ would just need to change the hot keys to the appropriate number.

Duane "C.I.D." O'Malley

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Nope! Directions are already set as special shortcuts, like the (!)smoke a cigarette or (O)Enter the outpost. Those shortcuts are very hard to change, sadly.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 06:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The hotkeys are harder to change than they might appear--it's some complicated coding stuff that I acknowledge but don't understand. This came up before the keys were changed to ! and O (and bless CMJ for making all that effort on the behalf of my virtual lungs, which were probably greatly damaged by accidentally-smoked cigs). Plus, boy would number-pad navigating be a pain for people on touch smartphones. Yes, I am being completely selfish, I know.

You know what I've thought would be nice? More mount upgrades, and possibly even a way to choose your upgrade. I remember being thrilled to bits when my Zombie Donkey became the Even More Disgusting Zombie Donkey. It's not called that, but that's basically what it is, and I have great fun writing him into scenes. It would be cool if you could, uh, I don't know, paste random bits of flesh from random creatures back onto your Zombie Donkey and have him gain attributes (bigger enemy defense debuff, lower travel costs, tradeoff of the two, etc.) Or scrounge bits of metal and tack them on to your Scrambler. Or pay tons of SP to add something, that too.

The effect of a certain upgrade could be the same for each mount, minimizing the coding needed (I think), while the flavor text changed slightly to accommodate the different creatures/machines.

I'm just making this up as I go along and it could very well be a terrible idea. But there you go!

Also, I like Matthew's water-based ideas. All of them. (Have mount upgrades to swim across water! 8D)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 07:04 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Actually altering the keyboard shortcuts is pretty trivially easy. Smile The map navs used to be number-key-based, but:

1. Blind people think that the numbers mean something other than navigation,
2. Laptops.

New Mounts are something I've wanted to do for a while.

Profile Email Website
Donk
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm not suggesting we lose the f-h-t-b traveling method for those who are used to it / numberpad-less. I was wondering is we could add an alternative (with num lock on or off, since the numbers are targeted fighting). Can there be only one keyboard shortcut per function?

Profile Email
Mogar
 Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 05:15 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

OH! Can you? Cany ou Ca nyou? Would you pretty please with a cherry on top? Maybe a dash of sugar and lime? Perhaps a beer as well?

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mogar

OH! Can you? Cany ou Ca nyou? Would you pretty please with a cherry on top? Maybe a dash of sugar and lime? Perhaps a beer as well?

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=23908

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Quote by: Mogar

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=23908

Many thanks for reminding me of that!

Don't know that any of those ideas ought to be in the game (the thread is, er... rather well titled) but hang game design. Go read/reread it anyway, folks, for the descriptions. Especially the coin. Gems like those are why I am an Enquirer addict!

(It's an old thread though -- don't necro it. You wanna talk about mounts again, go ahead and start a new one.)

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Especially the coin.

I loved the Coin. I'd probably totally use it if it was in-game.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 02:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the subject of Hotkeys: It would appease that little bit of me that wants to fold my socks if the Hotkeys for reinforcing the wall were the same as flailing during battle (f, z, and x)

On the subject of WhereWolves: I don't like WereWhere. Not punny enough. They'd have to be wolves in their vanilla state. I do really like the idea of WhereWolves, but besides an over-powered novelty race, what could they be? A mount?

On the subject of the Coin: We already have the coin you get for Stern, and the coin you eat. I'd just like it to look like something else. Maybe a bag of gingersnaps.

On the subject of Mounts: Using my powers of Reading Archives, I eagerly await my CatHorse. And my DogBat. Not the SpiderTiger, though. We already have that giant-version-of-SpiderKitty as a monster encounter.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

I eagerly await my CatHorse. And my DogBat.

That's terrible. I bet you're pro-Skub, too. Evil

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 01:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Psh. Like I just wrote roughly 325 words of lies truth headcanon just to be a puny "pro-Skub" or "anti-Skub'. Rolling Eyes Razz

I also want Mount-mounted miniguns. Or Mount-mounted mountain-mounters.

Profile Email Website
Cicero
 Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The only Hotkey that causes me problems is the D for devouring carcasses. I spend a lot of time as a zombie and when I am spamming jungle hunts I consistently eat all the junk monsters by accident.

And a water-based mount sounds pretty cool.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 05:53 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

I also want Mount-mounted miniguns. Or Mount-mounted mountain-mounters.

Does that just mean staple-gunning a hiker to a zombie-donkey?

Also, Dropping eBoy items. You don't want a grenade. You don't want to sell it. You don't have anyone who wants it, save for an unknown Rookie. You may or may not want to make a weapons cache in the jungle for anyone who stumbles over it. Well, how about dropping it on the map. We've got a bajillion and a half herbs cluttering the place, and a few mementos, why not items, too?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply