Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 New species, size idea, and story/quest idea.
 |  Printable Version
warownslife
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 04:03 AM UTC (Read 4481 times)  
Forum Newbie

I didn't know where to put this but this place seemed right. I was wondering on expansion. The island is great but their are a few things about it that i do wish existed. I don't know if its possible, i know damn well its unlikely, but i wanted to know the why and hows. Are there any plans for new species? I know theirs already 7 i think but i just wish the species were more spread out and user based. I see a bunch of people with different names in the banter like "red mage, the dark Jedi, Cavemanjoe's toothbrush, etc." I wish you could get a certain amount of drive kills and then get to create your own self. of course their will have to be many many limits to that. Also, will the island ever get bigger? Its moderate size now, with plenty but its not huge. A lot of people would think a huge island would be a bad thing, but the bigger a place is, the more you can do with it. 3 more cities would be a huge difference. Also, the story and quests. From what I've seen cavemanjoe is A. always out of money. B. very slow at writing. (sorry) Why not make an ability for all these people with places to buy quests that have certain outlines? Quest scrolls. That way people can make up their own stories, all this roleplaying can be made into the game. I personally would love to fight a joker to the death in an island civil war surrounded by exploding cans of jelly beans but thats just me.

Sorry for the huge wall of text.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 04:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We have a hard enough time as it is getting people to spread over to other outposts without adding more, honestly, though I do think a bigger map/more places to go is in the works for S3, whenever that's gonna happen?

Profile Email
Ada
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 06:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Have you gone to the Hunters Lodge in an outpost? You can buy a custom race changer to be able to be a red mage, dark Jedi, toothbrush, whatever. Does what you want and gives CMJ some cash.

People with Places can already make "quests" and stories - I think perhaps you just haven't found one of those Places yet! And the people who do do that with their Places have many ways to support the site - you can buy builders' packages in the Lodge, you can pay to have the rooms built instantly, you have to buy memories and mementos, and so on. If you want to make a story where you can fight a joker to the death in an island civil war surrounded by exploding cans of jelly beans - write it.

You can do rather a lot with an Island the size we have now. Try exploring more Places - you'll see there's a whole lot to do.

Profile Email
warownslife
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 07:20 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Ada

Have you gone to the Hunters Lodge in an outpost? You can buy a custom race changer to be able to be a red mage, dark Jedi, toothbrush, whatever. Does what you want and gives CMJ some cash.

People with Places can already make "quests" and stories - I think perhaps you just haven't found one of those Places yet! And the people who do do that with their Places have many ways to support the site - you can buy builders' packages in the Lodge, you can pay to have the rooms built instantly, you have to buy memories and mementos, and so on. If you want to make a story where you can fight a joker to the death in an island civil war surrounded by exploding cans of jelly beans - write it.

You can do rather a lot with an Island the size we have now. Try exploring more Places - you'll see there's a whole lot to do.

A. thats not what i mean when race change. Not just NAME. Buffs, debuffs, abilities like the zombies devouring abilities, etc. with the custom race changer you don't really become a different race. at least, it doesn't seem like it from the description.

B. Places have quests? I'd like to know more. by quest i mean like the musuem quest, punishment quest, stranger quest, etc. something to do, something to fight.

C. Not just a story, an actual quest. a real monster to fight called a joker.

D. i am aware we can currently do a lot with the island but you shouldn't be able to go around an entire island in 1 day, it being an island.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just seems like my ideas weren't fully understood. I want people to do what cavemanjoe has and can do.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 07:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

A. thats not what i mean when race change. Not just NAME. Buffs, debuffs, abilities like the zombies devouring abilities, etc. with the custom race changer you don't really become a different race. at least, it doesn't seem like it from the description.

B. Places have quests? I'd like to know more. by quest i mean like the musuem quest, punishment quest, stranger quest, etc. something to do, something to fight.

C. Not just a story, an actual quest. a real monster to fight called a joker.

D. i am aware we can currently do a lot with the island but you shouldn't be able to go around an entire island in 1 day, it being an island.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just seems like my ideas weren't fully understood. I want people to do what cavemanjoe has and can do.

A. This would get pretty ridiculous pretty fast, and I really don't see any need for this. You can already roleplay as whatever your custom race is. Remember that this is primarily a roleplaying/writing game. As I understand it, adding a new race would take a great deal of planning and a ton of writing, and a good chunk of system resources. (Could be wrong about this). It would also make it impossible to ever do things like, oh, jungle monsters specific to your character's race.

B. You don't actually fight anything in the museum, punishment, stranger, etc. quests. No mechanical fighting, anyway. And yes, the quests in Places can do pretty much what the museum quests can.

C. Erm, I'm not really sure where you're going with this. You mean designing a monster that you actually mechanically fight during a Place quest? I don't really see the need or appeal. I find it much more enjoyable/rewarding to roleplay out fight scenes like this. You have the Jungle and travelling on the map and outpost invasions and Titans for mechanical fighting. I'm just one person, though. Others might certainly agree with you on this.

D. It being an Island, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that one might be able to walk around it in one day.

And lastly, I think it's a terrible idea for everyone and anyone to be able to do everything and anything that CMJ can do. I don't mean any offense, but CMJ writes the canon storyline of the Island. Other people are free to write and roleplay out stuff that doesn't comply with CMJ's canon, but having everyone be able to make canon storyline? Not a good idea. That's like trying to write a novel with 300 collaborators. It isn't going to work.

I might have misunderstood some of what you're trying to say, so if this is the case, my apologies.

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 07:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I should clarify something I just wrote, because I realized it probably sounds ridiculous/silly.

Other people are free to write and roleplay out stuff that doesn't comply with CMJ's canon, but having everyone be able to make canon storyline? Not a good idea. That's like trying to write a novel with 300 collaborators. It isn't going to work.

I'm mostly referring to the non-canon events that people like to roleplay. I see a lot of RP and stories going down that actively contradict some of the canon facts that CMJ has introduced. And this is fine!

Maybe I'm reading too much into what you wrote, warownslife. I know what I'm thinking, but I'm not able to articulate it well tonight, it seems.

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
warownslife
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 08:19 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Shiloh

I should clarify something I just wrote, because I realized it probably sounds ridiculous/silly.

Other people are free to write and roleplay out stuff that doesn't comply with CMJ's canon, but having everyone be able to make canon storyline? Not a good idea. That's like trying to write a novel with 300 collaborators. It isn't going to work.

I'm mostly referring to the non-canon events that people like to roleplay. I see a lot of RP and stories going down that actively contradict some of the canon facts that CMJ has introduced. And this is fine!

Maybe I'm reading too much into what you wrote, warownslife. I know what I'm thinking, but I'm not able to articulate it well tonight, it seems.

No, you explained it well enough. Like you said, its mostly a roleplaying and writing site. I'm just not big on either of those aspects. I prefer fighting with stories and the stories seem lacking.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 08:05 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

...the stories seem lacking.

Oh...oh my goodness. I think we will have to simply agree to vehemently disagree here. I find that the stories are rich and brilliant, and the storyline (particularly CMJ's writing) is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this place.

Without giving away any spoilers, have you gotten through all four Watcher story bits, and both Stranger quests? Have you read the Daughter of Chance non-canonical story?

We might just enjoy completely different kinds of tea, which is fine. We'll just disagree on what we like and want.

Profile Email
warownslife
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...the stories seem lacking.

Oh...oh my goodness. I think we will have to simply agree to vehemently disagree here. I find that the stories are rich and brilliant, and the storyline (particularly CMJ's writing) is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this place.

Without giving away any spoilers, have you gotten through all four Watcher story bits, and both Stranger quests? Have you read the Daughter of Chance non-canonical story?

We might just enjoy completely different kinds of tea, which is fine. We'll just disagree on what we like and want.

actually no. I did rohits quest and then a few dk's later i finally got something new. that was talking to the watcher on the failboat and then i got the pan quest. those were fun. something to do, somewhere to go. but those were only 3 quest in what i think was 5 dk kills.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 10:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Ahh. To be entirely honest, 5 dks is not much at all. Rohit's quest has three parts to it total, and the last two parts of it are really fun. Once you get to 10DKs, you'll get the Stranger quest (part one). Do not run, for the love of everything.

If you don't mind vague (very vague) spoilers, here's a listing of quests and there pre-requisites: Quest Listing

There's a lot more story around the Island than just those three that you've encountered!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 04:10 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Warownslife is entirely correct - there really do need to be more stories, quests, and plot content in general on the Island. I haven't done as much as I would like to, for two reasons.

First, the writing takes a long time.
Second, the current combat and stats system sucks, and it's consequently very hard to say "Okay, at level x on dk y, the player should have z amount of difficulty in defeating a given monster." The original LotGD core combat was just a numbers game, never really intended to be extended into a storyline, and it shows.

Profile Email Website
Shiloh
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

there really do need to be more stories, quests, and plot content in general on the Island. I haven't done as much as I would like to, for two reasons.

I'm not objecting to more stories! I'd love to see more. Really really love to. I'd just rather you wrote them (or Emily, is Emily still doing writing for the site?) and not just anyone.

I'm not sure what a good resolution is. Perhaps players could submit stories to you along certain guidelines, much like we can for monsters, and approved ones get implemented (after some tweaking if necessary)?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly, what I'd love to see is more backstory and setting elaboration and less plot-story-stuff. I want to know what the world outside the Island is like. It's painfully absent and makes writing character backstories a real challenge. You kind of have to be vague, but at the same time you really don't want to be!

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm not sure what a good resolution is. Perhaps players could submit stories to you along certain guidelines, much like we can for monsters, and approved ones get implemented (after some tweaking if necessary)?

This. SO MUCH. I've seen some really amazing backstories of pre-island made by third-parties.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Honestly, what I'd love to see is more backstory and setting elaboration and less plot-story-stuff. I want to know what the world outside the Island is like.

I'd like to see both, but good solid backstory and setting would be fantastic. There have been hints (very dark ones) of what the world outside is like (like in the Dancer story), and there's some in the NewHome Museum, but they're all just hints. And they're scattered all over the place.

I've seen some really amazing backstories of pre-island made by third-parties.

YES. So have I! And even ones that stay within the established canon (what little there is)! We have such a large pool of amazing writers on this site; it's a good resource. (I think mayhap this is a bit like what Warownslife was talking about, only the stories would be submitted to and selected (and even edited if necessary) by CMJ).

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We can already do this.

There's the wiki that we can put things in, or if we want something a little more interactive, then there's Places.

One of the things that I've been amusing myself with from time to time over the years is writing some background for Squathole. This isn't of course in anyway canon and is subject to be contradicted occasionally, but I like it.

If somebody was to write say, a background story for Vivian in the Rook's Nest in NewHome, or give details about how George in Vigour Mortis in NewPitt brews his drinks, or whatever else takes their fancy, then that would be fun to read on a rainy afternoon. It also helps give a richer feel to the place when you visit I think, even if you don't directly reference it.

If more and more people start doing this sort of thing then there will inevitably start to arise contradictions. I don't see this as a bad thing. The Island sort of enjoys contradictions and fourth wall breakings and paradox and continuity breaks and so on. So does life.

The biggest thing to remember is to put in lots of crosslinks so that people who are just browsing are more likely to find interesting things.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, September 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

C. Erm, I'm not really sure where you're going with this. You mean designing a monster that you actually mechanically fight during a Place quest? I don't really see the need or appeal. I find it much more enjoyable/rewarding to roleplay out fight scenes like this. You have the Jungle and travelling on the map and outpost invasions and Titans for mechanical fighting. I'm just one person, though. Others might certainly agree with you on this.

Actually, there's probably quite a few people who'd like to have a monster or two to fight in their place. And I, for one, would really like a way to Failboat people who make the wrong choices in my place and do stupid stuff.
You know what, I'm going to go add these suggestions to the 'Things I would Pay Money For' thread.

Profile Email
Shiloh
 Saturday, September 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Wongo the Sane
And I, for one, would really like a way to Failboat people who make the wrong choices in my place and do stupid stuff.

I'm not sure how to politely emphasize what a terrible idea I think this is. Not everyone has a ton of chronospheres, y'know. This, I think, would really discourage people from exploring Places. Part of the fun is being able to roleplay in them and seek out all of the different options, knowing that you won't be hit hard for it mechanically. Even the ridiculous ones. We're already encouraged to make not-the-brightest choices in-game (it is a bad idea to run from the Stranger, very very bad, at least at the moment). I would like to be able to take that carefree, exploration attitude into Places and enjoy them.

Quote by: Hairy Mary
We can already do this. There's the wiki that we can put things in, or if we want something a little more interactive, then there's Places.

This isn't what I'm talking about, though.

Quote by: Hairy Mary
This isn't of course in anyway canon and is subject to be contradicted occasionally, but I like it.

And this is why it's not what I'm taking about Wink Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, and if that's the case, then my apologies. I meant a scenario in which CMJ says 'okay, I'd like this kind of story to happen.' A minor story, something not crucial to his grand design, and one that would be nice to have existing, but that he doesn't have time to write in the near future. Enterprising players could write up a story, submit it directly to CMJ, and he would pick the one(s) he liked best, maybe tweak them, and voila, more canon plot stories like Budget Horse, Jill Baker, etc.

Hopefully this is more clear.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 10:42 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

a scenario in which CMJ says 'okay, I'd like this kind of story to happen.' A minor story, something not crucial to his grand design, and one that would be nice to have existing, but that he doesn't have time to write in the near future. Enterprising players could write up a story, submit it directly to CMJ, and he would pick the one(s) he liked best, maybe tweak them, and voila, more canon plot stories like Budget Horse, Jill Baker, etc.

THISOHGODPLEASE.

Profile Email
Vetis
 Wednesday, November 14 2012 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Collin-Vee

a scenario in which CMJ says 'okay, I'd like this kind of story to happen.' A minor story, something not crucial to his grand design, and one that would be nice to have existing, but that he doesn't have time to write in the near future. Enterprising players could write up a story, submit it directly to CMJ, and he would pick the one(s) he liked best, maybe tweak them, and voila, more canon plot stories like Budget Horse, Jill Baker, etc.

THISOHGODPLEASE.

YES. I want so badly to write canon material for the Island, because it is the single most interesting thing I have ever found on the internet and I want to contribute to it.

I aim to misbehave.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply