Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 It's that time again - donation ideas thread.
 |  Printable Version
lowkey
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: lowkey

-- Limited-edition mementos: These would be available for purchase only for a month or two, and new ones would come available every month or two. Could be simple cool mementos...or could confer, at greater SP cost, some special benefit (like a once-a-calendar-day/week stam/attack/def boost, req multiplier, or the like). The simple ones could be relatively inexpensive, and fun to collect...any special benefit ones would be considerably more expensive.

I really like this. To be clear, you're not talking about the current player-created mementos, right? You're talking about using the same mechanism to offer game-created limited-edition souvenirs.

That is a fantastic idea. I would have to buy every single one.

Exactly -- thanks for clarifying!

Not user-generated mementos, but Joe-generated ones, each one unique and available for a limited time only...possibly with a bit of back-story in remembrance of then-current Island events, or sheer random cleverness or lunacy. The greater the flavor, the greater the savor...and rather addictive for us collector types.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 08:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have all the perm changer but mount... but.. you know what I'd pay another 40 some bucks for?

A super all in one changer ~ one that you use and can change some or all of the weapon, title, race, armor, colours whatever in one go without using each item and being bounced back to the map/outpost and having to fish through the inventory for the next item.. it would make doing changes soooo much easier and for that I'd pay for all my perma stuff again for that.

One time all in one changers ~ Like the super one but a one time only item to change all your values in one go without a bunch of redirects and searching but for about $6 for those who can only afford the smaller donations at a time.

Paint can/Colour that item! ~ For 25-75 sp being able to colour beds or beacons... those links at the default link colour have been bothering me as I can colour my doors, my room names, my pages.. but I cannot colour my hammock or strange mechanical out of place object.. (if you knew dark you'd know how odd it is that you can find a beacon at her place) and that messes up my mogo on my links.. and I'm a bit OCD on trying to make the page links/navigation look streamlined and cohesive..

Oh the mount race changer would be awesome and might get me to rp my mount more.

Again I'd like to possibly bring up the $10 uber mould idea that is for places only, untradable items able to be pluged into a place and not have to be refilled or remoulded.. for people who like to give out tangable items in places.. that got mentioned in a place thread.. It would be awesome.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 08:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

It might also be cool to have an item that allows players to set a default text color for their comments in the chatspaces.

Do you mean /chatcol and /talkcol? The latter of which is already site-supporter only feature.

I think Bug Fix Sponsoring would be a really cool idea. We already have a list of bugs, in the Petitions system, and if players could sort of vote on the priority for those, then I think that gives CMJ a better idea of what matters to the players. An SP-based bug fix priority system doesn't seem, to me, like it would be damaging, or putting less monied players at a disadvantage, because bugfixes improve the same game we're all playing. If such a system would help CMJ find which out of hundreds of bugs to prioritize, then everyone wins. The game's more polished, works better, and CMJ gets a little more cash in the pocket.

Yes! That long list of unfixed bugs always left a bad impression on me, especially since some of those bugs have been on that list since the list was introduced, November 2011.

I also like the idea of Limited-edition mementoes. Short snippets of text written by CMJ? Sign me up.

Quote by: Cherriki Ten

Two: I don't know how possible this would be, but maybe advanced colours that you can purchase. Make it like a colouring box and it gives you a wider selection of colours. Again, though, I don''t know if this would be possible.

I've requested that one before too, and I still would like it. Because, on my colour calibrated screen, the various shades of black ( `0 `1 `~ `) `!`q `j ) just look black to me. Humans are far more suited to distinguish between shades of red and green.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

It might also be cool to have an item that allows players to set a default text color for their comments in the chatspaces.

Do you mean /chatcol and /talkcol? The latter of which is already site-supporter only feature.

I think she meant the default color of emotes, which I agree would be nice.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just chucking my two bits in to support the ideas of a place relocator item/service, mount race changer (ugh, Trowa's had that zombie donkey following him around and sleeping in other people's bedrooms!), and a super-all-in-one changer.

Ooo, what about a physical description changer you can use anywhere on the Island you have access to your inventory? For those scenes way out of the way when your character gets gooey-fied or something and you don't want to march back to an outpost to make the swap? (Or use an OST then have to march back because you forgot to chuck four cigs into the place beacon if it even has one?) ...okay, not a serious problem, but these things happen.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Xorbius
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ok, I don't know if this is doable or practical, but how about a donation-to-win-this-jungle-fight-now button ? For those times when you're carrying a vast sack of req and get ambushed or whatever. And anyone who wants to spend a fortune getting a high ranking character can happily do so - the fun parts of the game aren't about who has the most DKs...?

Profile Email
warownslife
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Donation ideas? well, it seems to me, you need more people. But you don't have the money to advertise. So you could either make more money or spend less money. Have you considered a kickstarter? But anyway, something cool I'd like to pay money for is 14) Titan Shrugged, 13) Bribe the Failors!, and some new features would be cool. like a max level increase, but thats just me.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I have all the perm changer but mount... but.. you know what I'd pay another 40 some bucks for?

A super all in one changer ~ one that you use and can change some or all of the weapon, title, race, armor, colours whatever in one go without using each item and being bounced back to the map/outpost and having to fish through the inventory for the next item.. it would make doing changes soooo much easier and for that I'd pay for all my perma stuff again for that.

The only problem with this item is:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

When you're this worried, when the situation is this dire, all you can think about is the short term, and you do things like massive bundle deals that will hurt you in the long run, and adverts that will discourage new players from donating but earn you five bucks a day right now. You make decisions that would be stupid, were they not so necessary.

It would be an awesome quick fix but something like that would just hurt CMJ in the long run

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Fuckbaskets.

That's rough news indeed. You Sir, have the next dollars I get.

To my fellow players:

Be kind; be gentle. Consider things as carefully as you can. Man's job is on the line, and remember, asking for Hunter's Lodge items is literally asking for incentives to continuing to allow him to do this. Do suggest them, as long as the suggestion box has been opened by CMJ or the Mods, but be careful to only do that.

This is our beloved playground, and his labor of love. We (yes, myself included) need to keep that firmly in mind.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Wongo the Sane
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Someone posted the idea of selling an Audio Track of the New Home song, which reminded me that I've long wanted to own some of the II themed music in the gallery (particularly 'Me and Horatio Entwhistle' & 'What do you do with the Drunken Watcher?' http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=4&sort=0&page=3 ).
Are you still able to contact some/all of the guys who posted these? Is this doable?

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, so this notebook idea.

I love it, and I'm gonna make it happen. It means rewriting a lot of the stories - but it means rewriting them in a good way, separating out the logic from the writing, and that's something I should have been doing all along anyway.

I'm also toying with the idea of offering Early Passes, so that when future plot content is revealed, players can get to see it a week early for, say, a dollar.

YES. Except-

Please charge us more than a dollar for the Early Passes. We'd pay a hell of a lot more than that, but if you want to keep it on the cheap, I'd make it no less than a fiver. Why so much higher? The frequency at which the story updates come out just reallly does not seem to me like charging us a dollar for an early pass -every time!- would be at all profitable.

Same thing for the Journal, only more so. PLEASE, tell me it's $20! I'll pay!

Profile Email Website
Xorbius
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:28 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Free advertising ? Why not everyone with a FB account say how fab this place is ? It might get one or two noobs in

Profile Email
Nonners
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Harris

Okay, so this notebook idea.

I love it, and I'm gonna make it happen. It means rewriting a lot of the stories - but it means rewriting them in a good way, separating out the logic from the writing, and that's something I should have been doing all along anyway.

I'm also toying with the idea of offering Early Passes, so that when future plot content is revealed, players can get to see it a week early for, say, a dollar.

YES. Except-

Please charge us more than a dollar for the Early Passes. We'd pay a hell of a lot more than that, but if you want to keep it on the cheap, I'd make it no less than a fiver. Why so much higher? The frequency at which the story updates come out just reallly does not seem to me like charging us a dollar for an early pass -every time!- would be at all profitable.

Same thing for the Journal, only more so. PLEASE, tell me it's $20! I'll pay!

I second this, absolutely. For something this awesome, I have no problem paying more than a single, measly dollar. In fact, I insist upon it! Take them! Take all my measly dollars!

A lot of the ideas that have been voiced - though they're something really awesome or something that would make things a lot more fun - are one time buys or things you dont buy too often, while I've been assuming we're trying to find ways of starting a steadier income. This, I think, could very well do that. I feel most people will want the journal and will either have no problem with or deal with it being a bit more expensive just for being able to have it... Which is a one time buy, again, of course... But then the Early passes plus paying for stories will keep at least a bit of money coming in. This is all assuming that the Early Pass just allows you to trigger the story earlier than if you didnt have it, but doesnt add it to your journal. So, each time a story comes out, people will buy Early Passes to read it, and then want to continue their journal and will probably buy the chapter at some point afterwards. This is also good because it doesnt exclude lower-income players, as they can still access and read all the stories. We'll just have to make sure not to give out spoilers!

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

The only problem with this item is:

When you're this worried, when the situation is this dire, all you can think about is the short term, and you do things like massive bundle deals that will hurt you in the long run, and adverts that will discourage new players from donating but earn you five bucks a day right now. You make decisions that would be stupid, were they not so necessary.

It would be an awesome quick fix but something like that would just hurt CMJ in the long run

Well the thing is It's the same price as the normal changers.. maybe $50 if you include the mount.. lets see

All deluxe-
Title changer -595 sp
Weapon mod - 595 sp
Armor mod - 595 sp
Cunning disguise - 595 sp
Colour changer - 595 sp
Mount changer - 595 sp
picture frame - 595 sp

so for $42-45 it is the same cost as the normal prema items which is why I didn't think it would be as hard on the long run..

The one time at $6 abouts is the same as the 75 sp * 7 plus a bit for convenience again so it is the same cost as if someone baught every one time use item but easier to use.

Was what I was thinking anyway.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh damn, I knew I forgot something. Yes on the Journal! Of course! Mr. Green I only didn't say something because CMJ already said he's doing it. Yes, that's exactly it. >.>

I wonder if it'll include all the various options? What happened if I picked tails? Or the red ball? Augh! I must know!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nonners

I second this, absolutely. For something this awesome, I have no problem paying more than a single, measly dollar. In fact, I insist upon it! Take them! Take all my measly dollars!

A lot of the ideas that have been voiced - though they're something really awesome or something that would make things a lot more fun - are one time buys or things you dont buy too often, while I've been assuming we're trying to find ways of starting a steadier income. This, I think, could very well do that. I feel most people will want the journal and will either have no problem with or deal with it being a bit more expensive just for being able to have it... Which is a one time buy, again, of course... But then the Early passes plus paying for stories will keep at least a bit of money coming in. This is all assuming that the Early Pass just allows you to trigger the story earlier than if you didnt have it, but doesnt add it to your journal. So, each time a story comes out, people will buy Early Passes to read it, and then want to continue their journal and will probably buy the chapter at some point afterwards. This is also good because it doesnt exclude lower-income players, as they can still access and read all the stories. We'll just have to make sure not to give out spoilers!

This is a "Newbie" who is very wise.

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think Bug Fix Sponsoring would be a really cool idea. We already have a list of bugs, in the Petitions system, and if players could sort of vote on the priority for those, then I think that gives CMJ a better idea of what matters to the players. An SP-based bug fix priority system doesn't seem, to me, like it would be damaging, or putting less monied players at a disadvantage, because bugfixes improve the same game we're all playing. If such a system would help CMJ find which out of hundreds of bugs to prioritize, then everyone wins. The game's more polished, works better, and CMJ gets a little more cash in the pocket.

I'm in favour of lots of the ideas in this thread, and especially this one!

It was me who proposed this in Banter yesterday, but it's not all my own idea. It's been bouncing around a little on my chat list, the idea of sponsoring bugfixes or voting with donations. Now, the Known Bugs list is pretty long, and there are several which frequently irritate me (and other people too!). I would put cash down - half now, half when fixed, or whatever - if CMJ would work on particular bugs soon rather than doing whatever Adminny things he does which I don't know about (or don't find out about until they're done). While it's admirable of him to not want to charge money for fixing bugs, hell, half my donations nowdays are to say "thank you for fixing that bug" rather than "Want to buy that shiny". To me, a bug fix is a shiny that I would pay for. And it's a shiny which does not let me get unfair advantages over other players, or let me control the way the game and the Island is going; it's a shiny which everyone benefits from. Surely the bug fixes are going to happen eventually anyway? I don't see how paying to accelerate the fixes could be unfair to anyone or put anyone else at a disadvantage. Possibly it delays something else (stories or new features or whatever) which could have come out a few hours or days or weeks before then if he wasn't working on the bugs first, but I bet it doesn't stop them from happening. (And possibly it pisses off CMJ because then he'll feel like oh damn he has to work on that stupid thing because people gave him money. But, hey, it's not like this would be a binding contract where $1 donated = 1 hour of guaranteed Admin-attention time, it's more like "Hey, please will you look at this thing ahead of those other things, if you get the time? Thanks! Here is money!") I'm happy because the bug I wanted fixed gets fixed; other players are happy because any bug is fixed and ooh look the donations bar is giving them more stamina; CMJ is happy because he needs money.

Also, while we're brainstorming fundraiser ideas: the last thread about Hunter's Lodge stuff has plenty of interesting stuff in it.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Black jacques
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Where's my custom tattoos dammit

Profile Email
Zefrieus
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 12:41 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hey, I'd make, donate, and mail off some illustrations if people wanted to buy 'em For the Good of the Island.
There are tons of artists on IC, I'm sure some would be game for a great big art sale.
I don't just mean commissions, although those too, of course.

Wouldn't somebody pay for hand-sewn grenades with little signs that say ZAP and BANG? I mean, I don't sew, but somebody's gotta. A sculpture of Rohit? mp3s of the NewHome song, performed by singing groups? An NPC pin-up calendar (Emily is great at being a pinup, Rohit is very, very bad at it). Even things only tangentially related to the game, such as Magpie-related jewelry, let's have a big drive to create and donate some.

I'm really thinking of how Regretsy does this all the time, it's called April's Army, people (especially those who already love regretsy) donate a lot of art/collectables/ridiculousness and sell it to each other, and all proceeds go to the awesome charity of the moment. They've raised oodles.

Let's have a big art sale and donate the proceeds to the game!
I know it's not as convenient as creating online art. But tangible stuff is just so satisfying, and it'd be a great way for all us starvin' artists to really contribute something of value.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 12:55 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Well the thing is It's the same price as the normal changers.. maybe $50 if you include the mount.. lets see

All deluxe-
Title changer -595 sp
Weapon mod - 595 sp
Armor mod - 595 sp
Cunning disguise - 595 sp
Colour changer - 595 sp
Mount changer - 595 sp
picture frame - 595 sp

so for $42-45 it is the same cost as the normal prema items which is why I didn't think it would be as hard on the long run..

The one time at $6 abouts is the same as the 75 sp * 7 plus a bit for convenience again so it is the same cost as if someone baught every one time use item but easier to use.

Was what I was thinking anyway.

**shakes stick at young whippersnappers**

Well back in my day you had to pay 1000 Supporter points for them fancy deluxe items.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply