Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 How it all began...
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 08:31 AM UTC (Read 2884 times)  

New story, CMJ, is awesome. I really liked the insight into Doktor Improbable's life and work on the Island, and his trusty academic sidekick. (In fact, I think Robot was my favorite part.) I will forever miss David Abraham, though.

Always a reward to read your stories, sir!

Ebenezer
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Agreed! It's a totally awesome, enjoyable story! Thank you, CMJ!

For those who don't know what this thread is about, check out the Museum in NewHome. There's a new, interesting film in there. Big Grin

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, I greatly enjoyed this story. Really, truly, I do! It is full of suspense and tension, and pleasantly rewarding.

But then I figured it out. This changes the canon. Gone are, as Esc pointed out, David Abraham's notes, and the old notes about the helicopter turning into a duck, and "don't turn this island into a reality TV show! That would be a very bad idea!" (my personal fav).

Now, before someone points out to me that the Island changes all the time, I acknowledge and respect that 100%. I'm not 'dissing' that in any way. Just sayin'...it feels very different all of a sudden.

BUT, judging from a certain benevolent dictator's comments in Banter tonight, it sounds like we're due for more juicy canon-y backstory goodness in due time! So, the flames of my hope have been renewed!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Trex
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Aaaaaaaahhh! Finally got around to reading through the film. CMJ, that was wonderful! So, so awesome! The birth of it all 'recorded' for us all to see..

Thank you :3

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So.

Can we talk about spoilers in this thread? I mean, it's right there, available for everyone to read, so I assume that's okay.

If you haven't read it, go read it.

Alright?

I'll wait.

Done?

Okay.

Was Hawton the first Joker?

Profile Email
Trex
 Saturday, September 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

*chuckles* Quite possibly Matthew, quite possibly...

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 12:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

SPOLIERS.

SAPOLIERS.

SPOILLERS.

SPOPEPLERS.

STUFF YOU SHOULD NOT READ IF YOU WANNA READ IT IN "HOW IT ALL BEGAN" FIRST:

There are four more islands????????????????????? Holy fuck, I want to see where THAT is going!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 12:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

There are four more islands????????????????????? Holy fuck, I want to see where THAT is going!

That was there before. Hawton had always been sent to Island Four.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 12:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, but now the others are specifically confirmed as plot points.

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 01:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not following. There was only a brief mention of the islands, and nothing pointing towards the Improbability Field stretching out to them. For all we know, Islands One through Three could be in different oceans. Unless I skipped over a bit of the film somehow.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 03:08 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Matthew

So.

Can we talk about spoilers in this thread? I mean, it's right there, available for everyone to read, so I assume that's okay.

If you haven't read it, go read it.

Alright?

I'll wait.

Done?

Okay.

Was Hawton the first Joker?

So of course, knowing there may be spoilers in this post, I still read it XD But that last part there actually got me reading the story (finally), and I have to say, it was magnificient. Hawton is so much more... Human now. Not that he wasn't before but he was just... His creating the improbability drive was just an inciting incident.

But this. I actually felt sorry for the poor bastard.

So, in my not so eloquent way of saying things: Awesome! Simply wonderful.

(This was Merc's speculation but is the Robot, Rohit?)

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Mercury
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 03:30 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

So, I just read the whole thing over Cherri's shoulder. One page at a time. Waiting for her to catch up because I read so much faster than she does.

I fall into the general consensus here. Holy shit, wow, damn, and so on, so forth. Well done sir, well done indeed. Far and away my favourite thing since that creepy Watcher bit with the nuke (Which, by the way, gave me genuine chills.)

I can't help, though, but feel like I'm reading perhaps a little bit too much into the story, trying to poke at subtle thisses and thatsses right from the third or maybe fourth page on. Is this that? Is that suppose to hint at this? I won't go into detail, because, well SPOYLORS, and many of them, and this probably isn't the place for proper beard stroking and whatnot. I have theories out the ass, and, y'know, all sorts of predictions and whatsits for what might be going on.

Then everyone will point and laugh because it's just a story, and Robot isn't what I think it is and so forth, because there's no subtle nothings in there in reality, and I'm seeing things that aren't there and should be medicated for that, too. I think there was an entire South Park episode based around the concept...

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye, actually. But I liked"How it All Began". I liked it a LOT! And I need to share that, because hey! I LIKED SOMETHING THAT GOT ADDED IN! SATAN IS SKATING TO WORK! I HAVE NOTHING TO BE NEGATIVE ABOUT! Nothing!

Brilliant writing sir, I commend you again.

And Cherri, don't think I don't see that tiny text! I can read it too. Steal my questions and theories... We'll have words, we will!

I'm being rambly on purpose, y'know. Really, I am!

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 03:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

I'm not following. There was only a brief mention of the islands, and nothing pointing towards the Improbability Field stretching out to them. For all we know, Islands One through Three could be in different oceans. Unless I skipped over a bit of the film somehow.

No no, not the Improbability Field- The fact that the islands have been identified now (except for...three? Or was that five? Or both?), and had *other* out there experiments going on on them.

We haven't been told diddly about what the other islands *are* until now, *and* we're told that there aren't four... there are *five*. My money's on that being foreshadowing. Of what? ...I dunno. But. My guess is that you've hit the nail on the head, and they won't be involved due to the Improbability hitting them... CMJ introducing these particular facts tells me that the strongest likelihood is that something (or someone) from those islands will be hitting Improbable Island. Which is not only more world-story, but exciting.

Profile Email Website
Cicero
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 06:59 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Oh. My. God. SO GOOD. *dying* I cannot believe how amazing the film was. Cannot. Ugh. So good. "An' it turns out it's easier to change physics than it is to change people." There are so many more quotes that made me flail around and fangirl but I can't post them all here. I love the robot. I love the uncertainly principle. I love all the connections to the modern island. I LOVE EVERYTHING!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, October 06 2012 @ 04:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It just occurred to me that we've just lost the explanation for why Professor Joesph Hawton goes by "Doktor Improbable". And that the Fanfiction Monster should merely be rewritten to have "David Abraham" changed to "Robot", with no other changes.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply