Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Money for CMJ: Player-created merch
 |  Printable Version
rbead
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM UTC (Read 1801 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Okay, so I was looking at the 'let's brainstorm for some money for CMJ' thread, and I suddenly had a complete brainsplosion. I have yet to find a thread specifically for this sort of thing, so I made one.

The idea would be, third-party artists and artisans could produce Island-sanctioned merch.

In an ideal world, they'd donate all the profit to CMJ; in a slightly less ideal world we'd come up with a system to sign up for and purchase through that would make sure that happened.
However, seeing as more people'd probably be more likely to do it if they got some of the love too, perhaps it would be equally worthwhile to, say, give Joe a certain percentage (which he'd decide) of the sale cost when the item was purchased in exchange for a an official 'Caveman-sanctioned' seal of approval, like licensing fees and Nintendo and such please don't murder me for mentioning Nintendo gaiz it was an example.

TL;DR- fee, based on sale cost of item, to make your product officially sanctioned.

ITT we offer ideas for such products we'd like to see or produce, or feedback on the licensing idea.

Profile Email Website
rbead
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

For starters,
-Zef's idea about plushy ZAP and BANG (and possibly WHOOMPH too which would be fun to make) grenades
-req tokens (requires metallurgy and/or some heavy equipment) which could be purchasable in bulk or just as beads/buttons to make into necklaces/jewelry/etc
-marbles painted to be chronospheres

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 09:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been thinking about this idea. I reckon that if people could sell their creations of whatever form for SPs, then that would encourage donations overall. People with creative talent and little money would be able to get and spend SPs that they wouldn't be able to otherwise (more SPs get spent) and people with money but not so much creative talent in a certain direction, or not so much time, would have more to spend their SPs on and so donate more (more SPs get bought). In the end, more donations - even if CMJ doesn't directly take a cut from the sales, although he could do that as well.

That's my theory anyway. Are there any experimental economists out there who can back me up that this is actually the sort of thing that happens in real life?

I think that in the long run this is a better idea as it's more likely to keep going.

In the past, from time to time, CMJs put out an emergency I need money! appeal for taxes/vet bills etc. People rush in and donate what they can. The donation meter flies up and is full for a while as people try to help. This is cool. What isn't cool is that in between these times, the donation meter looks pretty much empty for weeks at a time. Just because there isn't some special emergency doesn't mean that the man doesn't need money to pay the rent. I hear that he eats food from time to time as well. A bloke I met down the pub said that he'd read it on the internet somewhere, so it must be true.

If we have one big art sale, then that will be a one off. Money will be raised. Then that will be that. If there's more of an ongoing incentive, then it's more likely to keep happening.

Another thought. There are two classes of art here. There is the pictures/writing class, things that can be scanned in and emailed, and then there's physical items that need to be physically posted. The first class is far simpler, and in fact us the players could get and start doing something like that now. It would be facilitated if we could give SPs to each other, but we could bumble our way round that if we wanted to. (A picture in exchange for a Permanent Name Change for example.) The second is rather more problematic as it would involve handing out addresses and the like. I think we need to think about that a little.

Anyway, there are my thoughts for what they're worth.

Profile Email
Nonners
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 12:45 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Firstly, there was a thread about this, but a mod locked/got rid of it. I cant remember who. That was because people were being singled out and sort of being strongarmed into it, I guess.

Secondly, I will totally make frilly pink panties, if people want to buy them. (And I mean, why wouldnt they?) Also, yes, the whole marble-chronosphere thing I'm gonna do. In fact, I'm gonna do it even if this idea doesnt get off the ground because I like the idea. But yeah, chronospheres either as just a marble, or as jewelry/keychains/charms.

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I've been thinking about this idea. I reckon that if people could sell their creations of whatever form for SPs, then that would encourage donations overall. People with creative talent and little money would be able to get and spend SPs that they wouldn't be able to otherwise (more SPs get spent) and people with money but not so much creative talent in a certain direction, or not so much time, would have more to spend their SPs on and so donate more (more SPs get bought). In the end, more donations - even if CMJ doesn't directly take a cut from the sales, although he could do that as well.

That's my theory anyway. Are there any experimental economists out there who can back me up that this is actually the sort of thing that happens in real life?

I think that in the long run this is a better idea as it's more likely to keep going.

Yeah, I'm generally unsure of how the whole payment thing would work.... I mean, there's the link in everyone's bio where we could buy SP for each other in whatever amount was decided for the item in question, which I agree would cause more SP to be spent/bought which is good. But also I suppose a licensing type thing could work too. I dont know! We'll have to figure that out. I mean, I'm absolutely fine with donating all the proceeds to CMJ, but I admit it would be nice to get a little bit back, even if just to help cover materials costs.

In the past, from time to time, CMJs put out an emergency I need money! appeal for taxes/vet bills etc. People rush in and donate what they can. The donation meter flies up and is full for a while as people try to help. This is cool. What isn't cool is that in between these times, the donation meter looks pretty much empty for weeks at a time. Just because there isn't some special emergency doesn't mean that the man doesn't need money to pay the rent. I hear that he eats food from time to time as well. A bloke I met down the pub said that he'd read it on the internet somewhere, so it must be true.

If we have one big art sale, then that will be a one off. Money will be raised. Then that will be that. If there's more of an ongoing incentive, then it's more likely to keep happening.

As for this being a sort of big art sale and that's that... The way I see it is that we've had the ideas thread up for a few days, and in my opinion people have come up with so many great ideas that, if implimented right, will most likely cause a much steadier income for CMJ. I.E. the journal/extra pass/story chapters idea (which is going to happen oh goodness yessss), voting on bugs to be fixed, and a few of the Hunters Lodge items that were suggested - the Point Teleporters and Cream Pies are what I remember off the top of my head, but there were a few more that would be something that people donated more often for. And this would be fantastic. I've been trying to stay involved with all this, partially because I love this place and dont want to see it run into the ground, but also to try and remind people that while a lot of the ideas are great, they wont do much more than be a short term fix.

So, this art sale. Yes, it's a one time thing, (though I think if we get a good system of payment/donation to CMJ going, I would totally keep making stuff for people as long as there was demand and I had the time.) but I'm looking at it as a way to raise more money than perhaps even an emergency MOTD could, on top of what that emergency MOTD has all ready raised. It's a way to give CMJ a buffer so he can deal with bills/food/etc. without having to worry so much, and then can focus on those ideas that are good for the long term, rather than the short. It's a way for us to not only get our hands on Island-related merchandise we've been kinda wanting to see anyway, but also do a bit more to help CMJ out. Give him a bit of a breather, as it were.

Another thought. There are two classes of art here. There is the pictures/writing class, things that can be scanned in and emailed, and then there's physical items that need to be physically posted. The first class is far simpler, and in fact us the players could get and start doing something like that now. It would be facilitated if we could give SPs to each other, but we could bumble our way round that if we wanted to. (A picture in exchange for a Permanent Name Change for example.) The second is rather more problematic as it would involve handing out addresses and the like. I think we need to think about that a little.

Anyway, there are my thoughts for what they're worth.

As for shipping out stuff... Yeah. Addresses. That might get a bit awkward... Though, whenever you buy stuff online you're giving your address out to unknown people. Like, Ebay or Etsy or anything like that, they're just "normal" people (complete strangers) that you're giving your address to.... At least we have the luxury of sorta-kinda knowing who we're giving that info to here. If there were someone I was uncomfortable with knowing my address, I just wouldnt ask to order one of whatever they're offering for the sale. But I agree, we should think this all through.

Profile Email
rbead
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Personally I was considering some sort of automated system, but that's honestly just me. Or maybe we'd send em to CMJ and he'd post em.

God knows that'd be even MORE expensive though. >>

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: rbead

Personally I was considering some sort of automated system, but that's honestly just me. Or maybe we'd send em to CMJ and he'd post em.

God knows that'd be even MORE expensive though. >>

We could always have each artist ship 'em, but have the buyer foot shipping costs...

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nonnersthere's the link in everyone's bio where we could buy SP for each other in whatever amount was decided for the item in question, which I agree would cause more SP to be spent/bought which is good. But also I suppose a licensing type thing could work too. I dont know! We'll have to figure that out. I mean, I'm absolutely fine with donating all the proceeds to CMJ, but I admit it would be nice to get a little bit back, even if just to help cover materials costs.

Being the unobservant and forgetful numpty that I be, I'd completely forgotten about that. That's rather useful here. Also, how I was seeing it is that what the creator gets back is SP. All the dollars involved go to CMJ. As I understand it, SP are fairly cheap for him. If his landlord accepted rent in SP then he wouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately his landlord seems to be one of those strange people that you occasionally hear about that prefer hard cash.

So, this art sale. Yes, it's a one time thing, (though I think if we get a good system of payment/donation to CMJ going, I would totally keep making stuff for people as long as there was demand and I had the time.) but I'm looking at it as a way to raise more money than perhaps even an emergency MOTD could, on top of what that emergency MOTD has all ready raised. It's a way to give CMJ a buffer so he can deal with bills/food/etc. without having to worry so much, and then can focus on those ideas that are good for the long term, rather than the short. It's a way for us to not only get our hands on Island-related merchandise we've been kinda wanting to see anyway, but also do a bit more to help CMJ out. Give him a bit of a breather, as it were.

Fair point. The two aren't mutually exclusive however.

I still suspect that shipping concrete items might be a little awkward. But not insurmountable. I'll leave others to scratch their heads over that one unless I come up with anything else.

In the mean time, this is something that could be going on right now. But isn't. The next step I would say is working out how to match up creators to buyers. A marketplace type thing. This would be necessary for short or long term selling. What would the best way to do this be? A forum thread devoted exclusively to "Hey I've got this thing I could sell!" or "If anybody could do this then I'd pay for it!" Then people could distract each other and let it go from there? That might work for the short term at least. It would get pretty cumbersome for longer time periods.

Has this actually started anywhere? We've had a few people make offers of creations in scattered places, has anybody taken any of them up on it?

Profile Email
Nonners
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Hairy+Mary Unfortunately his landlord seems to be one of those strange people that you occasionally hear about that prefer hard cash.

Wh..What? There are people like that?! D:>

In the mean time, this is something that could be going on right now. But isn't. The next step I would say is working out how to match up creators to buyers. A marketplace type thing. This would be necessary for short or long term selling. What would the best way to do this be? A forum thread devoted exclusively to "Hey I've got this thing I could sell!" or "If anybody could do this then I'd pay for it!" Then people could distract each other and let it go from there? That might work for the short term at least. It would get pretty cumbersome for longer time periods.

Has this actually started anywhere? We've had a few people make offers of creations in scattered places, has anybody taken any of them up on it?[/p]

I agree, and I dont know! I mean, at the very least people wanting to sell drawings and the like can definitely be doing that sort of thing. I think one problem is that only a small part of the Island hangs around in the Enquirer and reads threads. I'm not sure I'd really enjoy spamming banter all about it... I dont know. Is there any way we could send out a mass distract? I mean, not only might there be people interested but also people interested in contributing creative things... We could start a thread about it, and then figure out how to contact everyone and be like yo! THis art thing is going on, check out the thread to see whats available to be sold to you! Then, artists can post what they have, and people who dont know about it can go and add stuff they want to contribute and the like.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, September 28 2012 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Nonners

Is there any way we could send out a mass distract?

Use the noticeboard! It's a bit OOC to do so for this kind of thing, but who said the thing had to be explicitly IC?

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, September 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

In the mean time, this is something that could be going on right now. But isn't. The next step I would say is working out how to match up creators to buyers. A marketplace type thing. This would be necessary for short or long term selling. What would the best way to do this be? A forum thread devoted exclusively to "Hey I've got this thing I could sell!" or "If anybody could do this then I'd pay for it!" Then people could distract each other and let it go from there? That might work for the short term at least. It would get pretty cumbersome for longer time periods

The forums for the Gaming society when I was at Uni had an entire section devoted to 'Looking to Buy/Looking to Sell'. Could make it a bit easier having all this kind of stuff in one place.

Can you have 'sticky' threads on this forum? It'd allow you a 'Terms of Sale' post at the top or something explaining to players that 'if you advertise here could you please forward some percentage of the sale price to CMJ thank you.'

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.86 seconds
New Topic Post Reply