Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Suggestion to make Storying able to have more of an impact.
 |  Printable Version
Vetis
 Wednesday, November 14 2012 @ 07:49 PM UTC (Read 1716 times)  
Forum Newbie

So, one of the things that can happen while RPing in the Story chat is that your characters can get into fights. I had the thought that it would be nifty if we had the ability to damage our own health at will, to reflect what's going on in the story. Some people will probably think that that is stupid, but I, being an avid RPer, would like to be able to take damage from the attacks that happen in Story.

I aim to misbehave.

Profile Email
Raine Bofirn
 Thursday, November 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

=/. The issue with that is that your stats and junk really shouldn't have an impact on story. Or...hell. Fighting. The issue with fighting is that, nowadays, there's pretty much a rule of no godmodding. That's it.

So your character can't, say, summon a black hole. Or do something to another person against the narrator's will. It's generally good manners to make sure the opposing narrator is okay if something's gonna go down. Like...vampirism, or something. If the narrator doesn't want to do it, they don't need to.

But back to topic. I'm rambling. The choice to take damage is based on the player, and the canon character's, decisions. Some people absolutely refuse to take a decent hit, and those people aren't any fun to fight against. Then there's the crazy suicidal ones who have their character die every other weekend and would kill the character to get yours bad as well. Those aren't any fun to play against, and mostly for the Rule of Drama. Just...no.

But if you can combat in-story against someone, and use logic, and take hits when there's a hit to be taken or give them when you can, your writing literally is how well you can fight. If you're doing two spins and then a kick? Expect to be interrupted by your opponent. They won't stand and watch while you try to knock their socks off. If you're doing fireballs, expect a bit of a wind-up. Your stats as far as DKing doesn't matter much if you're having a good ol' fashioned fight. And if you're not having a good ol' fashioned fight, just make sure you're not destroying Places, or fighting in outposts, or right outside outposts.

((Besides. That'd give someone with 3000 health the advantage over someone with 17, which is something I don't like to encourage - DKs over Skill, as it is.))

Yeah, there ain't no rest for the wiiicked...

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, November 16 2012 @ 01:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Plus, I'm not sure how much of a point there'd be, because nobody but you can see your health anyway.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, November 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My advice would be pen, paper and a dice.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, November 18 2012 @ 03:28 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Raine+Bofirn

=/. The issue with that is that your stats and junk really shouldn't have an impact on story.
((Besides. That'd give someone with 3000 health the advantage over someone with 17, which is something I don't like to encourage - DKs over Skill, as it is.))

I'm afraid I entirely disagree with these statements. The way I interpret the island: the longer you hang around, the more you fight the Improbability Drive; the more your body becomes suffused with Improbability; the stronger, faster and generally more badass you become. If it was looking like I was about to get into a fight with someone I would probably start by revealing my combat stats for the day and asking for theirs. This gives a benchmark for how good they are in a fight, and I can have my character react accordingly - casually dodging the clumsy attacks of someone who is noticeably weaker or allowing my self to be swatted by someone who is noticeably tougher.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 18 2012 @ 03:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

=/. The issue with that is that your stats and junk really shouldn't have an impact on story.

I'm afraid I entirely disagree with these statements. The way I interpret the island: the longer you hang around, the more you fight the Improbability Drive; the more your body becomes suffused with Improbability; the stronger, faster and generally more badass you become. If it was looking like I was about to get into a fight with someone I would probably start by revealing my combat stats for the day and asking for theirs. This gives a benchmark for how good they are in a fight, and I can have my character react accordingly - casually dodging the clumsy attacks of someone who is noticeably weaker or allowing my self to be swatted by someone who is noticeably tougher.

It's one way to handle it. Raine's is another. Both are valid approaches... if the 'combatants' agree on them beforehand.

In fact, that's a rule. Whenever you are contemplating your character getting into an in-story fight with someone else's, talk to the other player before you do it and make sure you're both using the same methods. Don't just assume they'll be doing it the same way you like to. If you can't agree on how to handle it, avoid the fight.

Anything else, in my experience -- and I do have a fair bit of that! -- leads to angry accusations of godmodding.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, November 18 2012 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Probably a good idea to agree the outcome, who's going to win or lose, in advance as well.

Profile Email
Raine Bofirn
 Monday, November 19 2012 @ 03:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

The way I interpret the island: the longer you hang around, the more you fight the Improbability Drive; the more your body becomes suffused with Improbability; the stronger, faster and generally more badass you become.

But you're talking Improbability. If you note, Jokers can be cool one day and be barfing up their spleen the next. I'm just saying a Drive-Kill doesn't determine how well you write(and, therefore, fight). As far as canon goes, you can call yourself the best fighter in the world, but if you're ignoring facts, that doesn't really sit well with people.

Anywho! Yes, it's always good to agree beforehand. Winning or losing, though, shouldn't really matter if it's something fun. If it's plot stuff(shoot it now!), then it'd be wonderful to be told a character could die there. Since, yanno...all character decisions ultimately should rest with the narrator playing them, dying included.

Also, hi, Sess! =3

Yeah, there ain't no rest for the wiiicked...

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, November 19 2012 @ 05:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The way I interpret the island: the longer you hang around, the more you fight the Improbability Drive; the more your body becomes suffused with Improbability; the stronger, faster and generally more badass you become.

But you're talking Improbability. If you note, Jokers can be cool one day and be barfing up their spleen the next/p]

You're forgetting the Improbability Points one can pour into Attack in order to become THE MOST POWERFUL CONTESTANT EVER. Or into Cowardice Defen(c/s)e to become THE LEAST PUNCHABLE CONTESTANT EVER. Or into Health to become THE MOST WASTEFUL CONTESTANT EVER. Ahem. That said, yeah, just agree beforehand what's gonna go down.

OT: Uh, yeah, no one else can see it. There are more important things on CMJ's to-do list. And I can see potential mis-click FailBoatings.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply