Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Inventory Feedback
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Thursday, December 13 2012 @ 12:34 PM UTC (Read 1004 times)  

Since the improved Inventory system's had a little time to air, I think it is Feedback Time!

Compact Mode is totally and completely awesome and makes things so much easier to scroll through, I love it. I'm really glad that the weight and quantity information moves to sit under the item name when a section is expanded. However, I find that the option to collapse a section is not very intuitive at all.

To expand an item, I click on the item name... but to collapse it, I have to click on a small, not-very-eyecatching "close" link at the bottom of the section. I have actually, on more than one occasion, clicked several different item names in a row (since my cursor remains in the same place) trying to collapse sections as they pop up before I remember the 'close' button. I think when the changes first went live, the item name remained in the exact same place, and you'd click on that to collapse the section. (I could be remembering wrong, as the newer round of changes followed fairly quickly.) That is way more intuitive than having the item name bounce to a new place, stop being a link, and have a second link elsewhere on the page.

The new Discard/Transfer/Donate options are excellent, and very very welcome. Visually, they don't seem very integrated with the rest of the inventory system, though. Perhaps the buttons could be turned into page links instead, and moved down under the weight/quantity information? Or maybe even under the item description? --This is a very minor point, it just doesn't seem visually connected, to me, and that throws me off a bit.

I would really like the Use option to be moved back near the item name and weight/quantity. The visual disconnect for this particular option seems like a bigger deal than with the other options, and since "Use" will never expand a new menu, it seems weird to have it over there with the "click for more options" buttons.

A confirmation for discarding items would be nice, since the Discard button is right next to the Use button. It would kinda suck to accidentally discard a Memento when you might not be able to get another one.

Most importantly! Can we have the same changes applied to Place Inventories? Being able to switch between Compact and Normal mode and having links to jump to Place's Items or Your Items would be my biggest priorities... but I would also love to be able to sort the Place Inventory by item type. I have a lot of Mementos lying around in my inventory, and they tend to get all mixed together with Contrivances and Contraptions and building materials, which makes it more difficult to pick through what exactly I want to donate. Also, I rarely need to donate Mementos to a Place unless I have a large batch made specifically for that Place, so I rarely need to see all 35 of my Mementos in that list. --I love the way the Hunter's Lodge is set up now, with links that show only certain types of items at a time; it would be really nice if Place Inventories could also be set up that way, to allow filtering for Mementos, Furniture, Materials, and Programming Items. That would make it a whole lot easier to donate and sort through your own Place Inventories.

Omega
 Thursday, December 13 2012 @ 03:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I did think most of those things as well! Like Escemfer, I think the Discard/Transfer/Donate/Use buttons should be to the left, maybe. On my screen, (21.5″ and 1900x1080 resolution) the Use button is over a foot away from the item names. This makes changing my title often time-consuming in compact mode, as I have to first click on the item name and then move my mouse aaaaaaallllll the way right and click the Use button.

Also, how about an option to add certain items to a Favorites group of some sort, or a Group by Type option? Currently, if I want to access my master wok, for example, I have to jump to my backpack, then press the page down button nine times! It's also inconvenient to have to see all those story passes. I can't do anything with them. They just take space. A group by type button would just bunch them all together in one expandable button...Right?

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm going to add my support for Esc's "click item name again, to close" suggestion. Yes, please! A toggle-click 'view/hide' is intuitive. It's how a lot of the newer features work on the Island, so it would be keeping the game interface consistent.

The "Use" button -- the most important thing there, as I suspect it is clicked far more than other options! -- could then be positioned more conveniently, on the left under the text, right where the "close" link is now. (Safely distant from the "Discard" button!)

I do like the look of the buttons, though. To me, they fit in just fine -- and they are clearly visible, which makes them better than links.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, December 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I support most of the above suggestions, and also, if there isn't going to be some way to hide (or move to the bottom) all of the presents I own, I wish to repeat my request for a gift bag/tribute pile/equivalent dedicated Inventory section.

Quote by: Omega

On my screen, (21.5″ and 1900x1080 resolution) the Use button is over a foot away from the item names. This makes changing my title often time-consuming in compact mode, as I have to first click on the item name and then move my mouse aaaaaaallllll the way right and click the Use button.

Ha! You all laughed at me for having such a tiny screen, but who's laughing now, huh?! Me! Ha ha ha!

Lookit me today, all adding links to stuff. How fancy.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply